Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:56:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 367
Total: 368

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The best doctor is an airhead!  (Read 4305 times)

Offline puertorico2006

The best doctor is an airhead!
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:15:26 pm »
I went to my doctor yesterday for the last series of my HEP B vaccine and I walked in and sat down and the doctor starts asking me how im feeling, said he was thinking about my case and started talking about treatment options and stuff because he thought a treatment would be good for me. I said i "I thought we were going to wait a bit and see how the numbers came back from my next labs to decide that" and then he opens up my medical record and says "oh im sorry i thought you were another patient"....so then hes says "what are you here for today?" "your last shot hemophilus shot and im here thinking i havent had my first hemopholis shot....I explained i had a HEP A shot and the HEP B...he said "oops" i wrote your hep a in the wrong spot ....I made a few mean comments to him but nothing too bad.....I know we are all capable of human error but he doesnt remember shit about what he does ...

He is supposed to be the best doctor on the island involved in research and clinical trials but i think i rather get my healthcare for free and meds for free (when the time comes) from a center because he doesnt seem worth paying the copay lol.....

Not the first thing hes done to make me dislike him ....sex lectures every visit (as if i dont have half the world reminding me daily), asked him a question and his answer was "i dont believe in that" without a scientific response.....then tries to pretend like he remembers who i am but is completely lost (i would think if you didnt remember your patients you would at least make a front and look at their file before entering the room hehehe he doesnt have the improv skills)..

anyways just venting a bit.....how would you guys have handled that? fired him on the spot and made him feel 2 inches tall? let it slide because no harm was done? ....or am i just being a drama queen? ;-)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: The best doctor is an airhead!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:26:17 pm »
Firstly that sucks. No way of getting around that.

In a one-to-one relationship like that where you would hope to rely on him in the future would not to be too aggressive but to calmly point out that it isn't the first time he has forgotten stuff about you and that you don't feel that he has been giving you due consideration. I would have reminded him that you are there to court his expertise and he isn't filling you with confidence that he is giving you due care - something he is paid to do. Something like that.

Most clinical people I work with are arrogant, so I understand your frustration.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:30:10 pm »
He is very arrogant lol....

I wasnt to agressive about it ...i did make a few comments but nothing that crossed any line for him to get upset...but i wanted to tell him something worst....i wasnt even mad at the situation just shocked wondering how someone so careless/forgetful ever becomes the best on the island lol makes me scared to see the other ones :-O

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:34:31 pm »
I think the answer is probably quite straight forward. He sounds overworked. It's not an excuse, but it might be a reason.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:43:18 pm »
You need to fire him.

He is dangerous to you. And his judgmental attitude does not promote honesty.

Seriously. Fire him. And report him, before he does some real damage to you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:47:12 pm »
But what are the other options on this island though?

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
That would have done it for me.......  Nope no way....  You suck... See ya, bye bye...

I cant even imagine if I was knee deep in a OI or a failing med... Would I trust him??  NO WAY!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 12:14:35 am »
Honestly, better to travel, and have less contact with physicians that have incompetance as your resource. He is a danger to you and to other patients.

On this issue I cannot possibly stress that enough. I have almost been killed several times by bad doctors. Your immune system simply lacks the resilience to suffer misdiagnosis and incompetance. This is, seriously, a life or death matter.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 06:46:59 am »
I agree with jkinatl... fire him.  Compassionate understanding for the human failings of a doctor, and trying to work it out .... bah     It is not the job of a patient to counsel the doctor on how to do his job .  This is ridiculous.  Fire him and report him.  Find another doctor. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 07:28:19 am »
my 2 cents:
Some people are so smart they appear brain scattered or will seem inattentive or unfocused. Their brains work at an entirely different frequency than the general populous. This doc's patient load could be somewhat heavy and he doesn't recognize his individual patients as he should. That said, if you don't like the doctor and you have other options, then move on to the alternative. We on the mainland tend to forget that island living has it's differences. Some better; some not as good.
Have you spoken to him like you have spoken to us on this forum? Puertorico2006, have you been clear and forthright about what you find offensive or erroneous? Your post suggest you have not done so. It might be worth a try before you walk away. He has a reputation as being the best you say?
Some doctors are very knowledgeable in a clinical fashion but have no bedside manners. Speaking for myself, now, I need a doc with favorable bedside manners or else I don't open up to him/her. It would feel too much like being a number which is what I am to the healthcare provider but not my doctor.
Report him? This is not 5 th grade classroom. Report him for what? He has made no unwelcomed advances of a sexual nature. He placed data inappropriately in your chart........but that doesn't consitute grounds for a medical board to take action against him. It's not bad advice altogether but perhaps a premature course of action at this point.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:01:14 am »
Wait a minute.  Was this the first instance of him being air headed?  Maybe something odd was going on that day, and keeping in mind that he's supposedly "the best" ID in Puerto Rico I'd not fire him so quickly.

Sometimes a true genius can seem harebrained.  Keep that in mind too!

If he continues to be like that every visit, THEN I'd fire him.  Go ahead, however, and research other doctors to have as instant back up.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 08:06:00 am »
Ditch the bitch and switch, honey!  Even if this was the first instance of the Space Cadet Doctor, the sex-negative bitchy attitude would have had me out the door long ago.  While a freen clinic may be more chaotic, you are more likely to be treated as a person with human needs.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 08:42:56 am »
I go to a free clinic now and I have to say it's not too chaotic, but it's all in how it is run by the front desk person and our Karen don't take no shit!

And my doctor is as good if not better than the private practice ones I had in NYC.  I think he may even be gay because Wednesday he called me "dear" -- kind of a give-away.  Cute too... from Lebanon.  Really knows his stuff.

Some of the folks in the waiting room can be quite scary though.  Quite.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 10:25:23 pm »
I do have other options I mean he isnt the only doctor that specializes in HIV....I guess the only reason he is considered the "best" is probably because he is involved in many research projects for new drugs and therapeutic vaccines and things, but with patients he is a failure (with me anyways)....I dont have a very complicated case of HIV infection anyways so i guess seeing any other competent person for the moment is not going to be any worse.

I cant wait to move to the US where i have a long list of good doctors to choose from (actually i really rather just because puerto ricos boring but both are good reasons hehe) ....

I guess in my next visit with my labs march 9 ill see if hes less airheaded that day but i think he is on his last chance (doctors dont deserve 3 lol....2nd is good enough).....I will say that im going to keep on eye on anything he perscribes me and probably discuss it here before i take it :-) (im sure some of you guys know from trial and error better than the doctors hehe))

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.