Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:58:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 346
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood from mouth?  (Read 9913 times)

Offline rentahero

Blood from mouth?
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »
I’ve been taking a class on culture and illness of pain and we recently talked about HIV. I was tested two years back and negative (I had no suspicion but did it anyways). However now I find myself out of my mind wondering/worrying if I could of contracted HIV threw simple things as toothbrushes and now hookah pipe sharing with friends at hookah bars. Is this clearly irrational thought related to OCD? How much infected “blood” must be transferred via mouth in order to become infected? Websites mention “open sores” in the mouth, but what does this really mean? Does this happen often?

I know these questions may seem silly, but every answer i get from HIV Q&A's aren't really helpful. I need human beings to share my thoughts with. I want to educate myself instead of worrying about everything.

Thank you for your words everyone, this really means a lot.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:05:14 pm by rentahero »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Blood from mouth?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:14:13 pm »
The things you are concerned about are not risks for HIV transmission. It's never happened that way and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first to be infected in that manner.

HIV is a fragile virus transmitted in a few limited ways. Please read the lesson on Transmission on this site. You will find a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. Get that down, follow the simple safer sex instructions and you'll do fine.

Andy Velez

Offline rentahero

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 04:02:45 pm »
Thank you Mr. Velez.
I have read the lesson on transmission, as well as posting guidelines, etc.
I just needed to hear it from a real person for once.

Offline rentahero

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »
The things you are concerned about are not risks for HIV transmission. It's never happened that way and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first to be infected in that manner.

Also if that is the case, I think Q&A websites should make more of an effort to let people know that. Also explaining the true science behind why that cannot happen is very helpful and might actually be more powerful as education goes. 
Because there is a “theoretical” chance of contracting HIV threw blood in the mouth, kissing, toothbrush, pipes the majority of the quick hiv sites seem to just say “yes, but very low” which I find very discouraging (mentioned on your lesson on transmission). But after reading threw a lot of the threads here, it is my understanding because blood comes in contact with saliva and also HIV cannot attach itself to cells in the mouth? I would really like to know the science. Thanks Mr. Velez!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:22:47 pm by rentahero »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:12:30 am »
The risk is subjective because the amount of blood is important. Small amounts from minor cuts in the mouth are not a risk. Larger amounts of blood are.

Small amounts of blood in the mouth are not a risk and the antiviral activity of saliva can counter this. However, even without this, the small quantity of blood poses little risk.

I hope that helps with your education.

Rich

PS. It is "Through" and not "Threw"
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline rentahero

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 10:43:28 am »
The risk is subjective because the amount of blood is important. Small amounts from minor cuts in the mouth are not a risk. Larger amounts of blood are.

Small amounts of blood in the mouth are not a risk and the antiviral activity of saliva can counter this. However, even without this, the small quantity of blood poses little risk.

I hope that helps with your education.

Rich

PS. It is "Through" and not "Threw"

Thank you HIVWorker, that is interesting, I wish I knew more about this senario before i started worrying so much. I also find it interesting HIV has never been passed through the mouth but websites insits it can still happen. One would conclude if it was possable infection rate would double overnight. However, What is a "small" amount, what is "large" etc etc.

haha "through" got it. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:47:35 am by rentahero »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 12:02:52 pm »
How long is a piece of string? I would say a small amount is drop and a large amount would be 1000 gallons...you get the idea.

If HIV were as easy to transmit as you suggest (like Mono or something) pretty much everyone would have it..

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline rentahero

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 02:15:22 pm »
Thank you HIVworker,

I was just curious on more the mouth to mouth situation. Given the recent popularity on Hookah bar boom around the United States, I’ve always wondered if there was a risk, even If there was blood on the pipe piece that you put in your mouth.

Mouth and mouth transmission was something I was considering to do my final paper on (the science, etc) but if this has never happened before in HIV history I guess I don’t have a strong paper!  ::)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 02:23:26 pm »
rent,

You'd have to get something on the order of gallons of hiv infected blood in your mouth before you'd have a risk. I can't see that amount being on the end of a pipe, can you?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rentahero

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 12:24:24 pm »
Ok, three months later and I still find myself worrying and over thinking about HIV. Regardless of education, logic, and advice from the wonderful people on this forum I still worry about contracting HIV through hookah pipe sharing that I have done in the past with some questionable characters. I understand this is completely ill logic but I cannot get it out of my head. I understand this is clearly a form of depression/OCD on my part as well. I promise myself to seek mental health for this, but as for the mean time, I refuse to live like this.
I want to get tested, I want peace of mind back, this has robbed me of happiness far too long.

My question is, without going to the doctor (and embarrassingly explaining the situation to him) what are some other methods such as home testing kits, rapid test at the emergency room, etc that I could do right now? I was going to go give blood because I understand they would check for HIV. I figured if I’m just going to go through with this I might as well do something good and give blood to someone who might need it one day.

Please I need advice.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 01:03:27 pm »
rent,

Under NO circumstances should you or anyone else EVER use blood donation to test for hiv infection. To do so would be highly unethical.

You do not need to go through your doctor in order to get an hiv test. Please visit the HIV testing center database where all you have to do is enter your zip code to find a testing center near you.

Test, collect your negative result and move on with your life.

To protect yourself from hiv infection, along with never sharing drug injecting equipment (I mean needles, not hookas or pipes) here's all you need to know in a nut-shell:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rentahero

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 07:44:21 pm »
Thank you Ann,

It's sad but true, the only way I'm going to get over this is to get tested. I don't know why. What is it about this that has it on my mind 24/7? I need to further investiage.
My only true worry how I contracted it sounds silly even to me thinking about it, but for some reason I can't get over it. I will do my best to collect my negetive and move on.

Offline rentahero

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:46:02 pm »
I'm going to get tested on Monday. I'm upset logic and advice doesn't play a factor. This is clearly OCD, I just needed to type that out. I do not want to worry about this for the rest of my life. This is awful.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:59:38 pm »
Well then getting tested is a good idea. And hopefully your negative test result will make it possible for you to put this concern to rest.

Good luck with what I certainly anticipate will be a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline rentahero

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 06:09:19 pm »
I got tested today. A nurse took my blood and now waiting 7-10 days for results.

One thing that is troubling is they made me fast overnight to this morning. I could only drink water. I wonder what the reason was. Although, on retrospect I suppose it was because of my slighty high blood presure?

Offline rentahero

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 12:03:59 pm »
5 days later and still no results! I'm going bonkers!!  :(

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 12:08:56 pm »
I got tested today. A nurse took my blood and now waiting 7-10 days for results.

Why?  You still have 2-5 more days before they are considered overdue.  And even then that means NOTHING, so don't imply anything by how long it takes to get them.  Which is where I sense your mind is headed.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline rentahero

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 12:44:59 pm »
Why?  You still have 2-5 more days before they are considered overdue.  And even then that means NOTHING, so don't imply anything by how long it takes to get them.  Which is where I sense your mind is headed.

True it is. I'm sorry to be a bother, I have no where else to vent. Sad but true I use this site for reality checks. I just need this to be over.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 01:00:13 pm »
Keep breathing and stay productively busy.

And before you know it you'll have your result and I expect it to be a happy one.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.