Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 396
Total: 396

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vocation Calling  (Read 5061 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
Vocation Calling
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:47 pm »
Well, here's some good news. I've been accepted into a 10-week vocational program specifically for the HIV+, paid for by the office of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities.

So, now I'm not "unemployed". I'm "in school". Orientation is later this week. :)

Lee
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Vocation Calling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »
Good on ya, enjoy going back to school.

Aroha
Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:46 pm »
Congrats -- I'm so proud of you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Schnauzer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:51 am »
That is good news.  But what will you be learning?
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:00:50 am »
Good luck, Lee! What will you be studying? Spill! :D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:42:35 am »
Im wishing you the best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
Congrats!!!!!  I certainly hope this leads to something positive.  You'd be awesome in a role that requires some sort of writing. 

Hugs and best wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:13 am »
Thanks!

And no! I shall be studying what they call 'the decorative arts' and what I call making wallpaper, floor coverings and furniture. ;) I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing most or how it's all set up in terms of specializing, though I took a tour of the place and everything they were doing seemed interesting. It will be nice to work "with my hands" too.

It's counter-indicated that I spend a lot of time alone in front of a computer, and unfortunately, that's all my old job was. Even if I found another in that field, I'm not sure it'd be for the best to take it. I can make websites and digital artifacts in my spare time.
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »
Congrats Lee! I'm a bit slow these days.
I don't know much about the decorative arts but it sounds like it would be a combination of creativity and design.
Curious to see what you think about it and hope to hear more details.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:21 am »
Sounds like a course I'd enjoy, Lee. Do you think I can be an exchange student? :)

You'll have to keep us updated on your projects and progress - perhaps start a thread in OT about it?

(I get why you started out here though....)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 05:09:54 am »
Sounds like a course I'd enjoy, Lee. Do you think I can be an exchange student? :)

You'll have to keep us updated on your projects and progress - perhaps start a thread in OT about it?

(I get why you started out here though....)

Yeah, as a benefit only available to us, it was yet another example of "Better Living through HIV". I just met someone else who went to design school on the same program. I heard about it first through someone at GMHC quite a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to say anything until there was some kind of confirmation. There were two weeks of testing involved (I think I mentioned it somewhere on here), and I never want to see another number 2 pencil as long as I live.

Enjoying it and being able to do it are two different things, so we'll see how it goes. ;) It's going to be tough living on zero income, but I've worked with less.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.