Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:08:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: MRSA infection please post your experiences -- how caught, what Dr. said...  (Read 2310 times)

Offline bimazek

MRSA infection please post your experiences -- how caught, what Dr. said...
Staph infection resistant to antibiotics

shows up like a spider bite then turns into nasty infection...

what T cells did you have, other counts, what could have caused it etc...

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
Just an FYI.  MRSA can be contracted by ANYONE and has nothing to do with Tcell counts.  You can get it with 10 Tcells or with 1000 Tcells.  It is just a version of staph (which is EVERYWHERE) that is resistant to antibiotics.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline bimazek

gays with hiv on or off meds seem to be getting it in huge numbers much greater than other groups

i know personally dozens almost everyone i talk too seems to have story of MRSA

personally i think it is the crossroads of these co risk factors

the gym, touching or going to gyms or baths or places with lots of meth users

i think i lower immune system on or off haart is a co factor

Offline Coffeechick88

As the poster said, anyone can get MRSA no matter what.  It isn't confined to any one group.  A person with a weakend immune system might have more difficulties with it, though.  Perhaps certain activities can make you more likely to get it, I don't know.  It is relatively common and doesn't seem to care who it hits.

MRSA is just a strain of Staph aureus that is more difficult to treat than regular Staph.  Many people carry Staph aureus or even the MRSA type on their skin and on studies of health care workers, some were found to carry MRSA in the nose.  Hand washing is a very important thing in a health care setting, which is one reason this is now a relatively common nosocomial infection because many health care workers just don't wash their hands like they should.  That is why in many hospitals you see hand sanitizer stations everywhere and you see signs, "It is okay to as is of we have washed our hands."  You just don't want another present from the hospital in addition to the large bill they will send you.  Of course many things can make you get infections such as getting a cath, central line, etc.  Just so many bacteria live on the skin, so it is easy to give them a chance to come in if you aren't careful or the person doesn't sanitize the area properly or clean it as they should.

We have been seeing it more and more common in the outpatient setting.  This weekend when I was working, I isolated MRSA from the wound of a 6 year old girl.  I have seen it in urine cultures, blood cultures, and a variety of other cultures from other sites, but more and more outpatients are showing up with it.  It is becoming more common outside of the hospital instead of mainly in the hospital.  There is another worse strain of Staph out there, which luckily is still rare.  It is VRSA (Vancomycin resistant Staph aureus).  Vanco is one drug that is used to treat a MRSA infection and so this type of staph is even worse than before.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.