Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:59:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Recent encounter  (Read 14708 times)

Offline 251275

Recent encounter
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:19 am »
Hi there new to this so bear with me . Somehow got it into my head I might have contracted HIV I know paranoid or what . Anyway plucked up the courage to get tested and results came back fine . But I was still not convinced so I bought a HIV kit online from a company called labpro since I done the test which showed negative by the way I ve now got it into my head that the kit might have had HIV in it . Is there anyone else out there as stupid as I am being all comments most welcome thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Can someone give me some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:36:55 am »

You don't give us enough information to go on.

What do you believe put you at risk for hiv infection?

If you did have a risk, did you test at three months after the incident happened?

The ONLY home test kit that has been approved for home use is the Home Access test. Home testing is NOT permitted in or approved for the country you live in.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

For this reason, you are NOT going to become infected through a testing kit. Hiv cannot be transmitted from objects in the environment and that includes doorknobs, spoons, cups, towels, sheets or even testing kits.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 251275

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
Hi Ann

Sorry I should have gave you a bit more information . I ve not had any encounters I'm married with kids . I stupidly thought I was loosing weight so went onto google to find out what might be causing this and of course one of the things that came up was HIV . Hence the reason I got tested which was told by the clinic if I did not here within four weeks then all would be fine . Also got it into my head about getting infected by a random needle and that's why I bought the online kit and ever since then I keep thinking that may have had HIV in it even though it was in a sealed package

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:25 am »

Unless you've been having unprotected intercourse with someone of unknown or positive hiv status, then you have not been at risk.

If you feel like you've been left hanging as to the outcome of your test, call the GUM clinic and ask for your results. You may have to go in to get them, so don't freak out if that's what they require. Most GUM clinics will not give you test results over the phone, although some will. The only way to find out is to ring them or drop in during clinic hours.

But believe me when I say that if you had a positive result, they would have been in contact.

Stop worrying about being infected by "a random needle". That is an urban myth. While it is true that people who share drug injecting equipment are at risk, they are only at risk because they are using the needle immediately after someone else. Not one person has ever been infected with hiv by a needle left lying around in a park or where ever.

You're also not going to be infected by the needle or any other component of the test kit. As I mentioned earlier, hiv cannot remain viable and able to infect once it is outside the body.

If you continue to be concerned about your weight loss, go see your GP. I know you men don't like to do that, but suck it up and make an appointment for a general check-up. There are many, many, MANY other things that can cause weight-loss. Go find out what is causing yours.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 251275

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:41 am »
Thanks Ann . My wife said to me that I have been the same weight since I met her and that was six years ago . Just really wanted to hear it from someone else who knows about this kind of thing . And after reading that the kit I bought was not approved that got me all worked up again thinking what if there was something in it . Also said to use within ten mins to avoid contamination . Just finding it hard to get it out my head

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:44:26 am »

Apart from the Home Access test in the States, there are no approved home test kits. These test kits are sent back to the company that makes them and they interpret the results, not you.

The other types of home test kits found online are ones you interpret yourself. The reason these kits are not approved is that they are prone to false positive - false POSITIVE, not negative - results. You didn't get one of those and thank goodness you didn't - I can just imagine how freaked you'd be.

When the instructions said to use within ten minutes to avoid contamination, they are talking about the test kit being contaminated by something in your environment - like cat hair or dust floating around or you sneezing or coughing on the darn thing. Foreign bodies getting into the kit can cause a false positive. They're not talking about YOU being contaminated.

Take my advice - get in contact with your GUM to find out what your test result was - I'm quite sure it will be negative. Hopefully this will put your mind at rest and you can get on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:02 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to respond keep thinking I'm going mad . Hopefully this will put my mind at ease

Offline 251275

HIV from sucking a nipple
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:23 am »
Hi just as the title says can you get HIV from sucking a womens nipples

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: HIV from sucking a nipple
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:30:09 am »

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

No, you absolutely cannot become infected with hiv through sucking nipples. Hiv is NOT present on the surface of the skin. Not even on nipples.

Even if there were breast milk present during the sucking, you would still not be at risk. Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Only tiny babies who rely solely on breast milk for their nourishment are in any danger of hiv infection from breast milk and even they are not guaranteed to become infected through breast milk. An adult is NOT at risk from breast milk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER SUCKING NIPPLES, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:43 am »
Great thanks . Also one more thing even after your information to myself last week I still can't shake this thing that I may have HIV even though I ve been tested at a clinic and done a home kit even though it was not approved and both came back negative . Not had any of the symptoms not that I can remember anyway . Apart from some muscle aches but I just put that down to my work

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:09:46 pm »

If you cannot bring yourself to believe that you have not been at risk and that you do not have hiv, perhaps it's time you sought therapy. We cannot help you with your irrational and unfounded fears here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 12:13:09 pm »
Have you heard of any such cases like this before

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »

What, cases where people let their hiv-phobia run away with them to the point where they think they've been infected in some impossible way and that their negative test results are wrong? Yep, we see it all the time.

We always recommend therapy in these cases. We cannot deal with this sort of psychological problem in this setting. You need face-to-face therapy to learn how to stop your irrational thoughts.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

How long does a infected needle stay infected
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:38 pm »
Hi just as the question states . How long does a infected needle stay infected

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »
What the hell does a needle have to do with your situation? You came here asking about sucking nipples.

Offline 251275

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
Sorry I was trying to post a different topic thought I had to put it in the same file

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »
All your concerns have to be put under the same thread, but again, what does a needle have to do with your situation?

Offline 251275

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:04 pm »
I'm just curious to find out about how long a needle would stay infected

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
We don't like to respond to speculative questions. Have you shared a used needle with someone or is this just what if stuff?
Andy Velez

Offline 251275

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 05:13:41 pm »
No I ve not shared a needle . Just a what if . If you were to come across a needle somewhere is it possible it would still be infected

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

This is getting ridiculous. As you have already been told, unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, then you have NOT been at risk for hiv infection. Give it up already.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

Question about home HIV kits
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 05:36:06 am »
Hi

After posting a couple of issues on this website I'm actually quite interested in all of this now . My question is about HIV home testing kits and why they are not approved and why the companies continue to sell them . As Ann will know I told her about one I recently bought which was the one from labpro and their website says they supply them to a lot of uk hospitals hence the reason I bought mine as I stay in Scotland is this just a marketing ploy so people will buy them

Offline RapidRod

Re: Question about home HIV kits
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 05:51:31 am »
■Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

■If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline 251275

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:21 am »
Ok sorry . Not good at this posting thing . Are you able to answer my question or should I post it under my previous threads

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 09:26:29 am »

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, it's a marketing ploy by companies who are only interested in making money. They don't give a shit about you, they only give a shit about how much money they can extract from your wallet.

It's pretty silly to spend your money on useless, unapproved tests when all you have to do is go to your local GUM clinic and get tested for free on the NHS. It's actually illegal in the UK to sell home test kits. Not only are the (positive) tests results unreliable, but they also do not offer any safer-sex counselling, which should go hand-in-hand with any STI testing. You'll get that for free at your local GUM clinic from people who know what's what.

By the way, your Time Out warning still stands.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 09:30:31 am »
...and further to what Ann has said, we are not here for you to "dabble" with gee I would like to know about this oh and this too...

We're here for when someone has a specific concern about an experience.

All you have to do to protect yourself sexually from HIV is to always without exception use a condom everytime you have vaginal and anal intercourse. Do that and you will be well protected.

Now, get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline 251275

Recent encounter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:29 am »
Hi appoligies if I have posted in wrong bit .

My scenario is this was recently out with friends for a friends stag night cut a long story short we ended up in a strip club where I received a dance from a women who then let me suck her nipples also gave me a hand job with a condom on which I came inside just wanted to know if there is any risks in the two things I done as I have been getting muscle aches in the neck and back recently

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Recent encounter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 06:35:38 am »

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. How many times do you have to be told to not start new threads? It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

We have also repeatedly told you that unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with someone of unknown or positive hiv status, then you have NOT been at risk for hiv infection.

Sucking nipples is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Breast milk is only a threat to tiny babies who rely solely on breast milk for their nourishment, and hiv is NOT present on our skin.

Getting a handjob, with or without a condom on, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

If you're having back troubles, see your doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Don't persist in posting about this latest NO RISK concern of yours. Your Time Out warning still stands. Please consider yourself warned for the LAST time!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:17 am »
Appoligies Ann just letting my mind get the better of me looking at symptoms and fearing the worst even though they might not even be related to anything

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
Keep it simple, fella.

All you have to do is to protect yourself from the sexual transmission of HIV is to always use a condom for vaginal or anal intercourse. It is just that simple. So cut out all the drama, use condoms and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline 251275

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:14 am »
Cheers Andy . Won't bother yous again need to stop reading things on the Internet cause I think that just makes it worse and that's when I seem to notice symptoms like sore muscles and my stupid mind thinks the worst when it is prob something different all together

Offline 251275

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
Hi after I posted about being at a strip club about a week later I got swelling in one side of my neck and although it's not as bad it is still noticeable could this possibly be a swollen lymph node due to the strip club incident or entirely something else

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:00 am »

We've repeatedly told you that you have not had a risk. Whatever is going on has NOTHING to do with hiv.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 08:53:39 am »
Keep it simple, fella.

All you have to do is to protect yourself from the sexual transmission of HIV is to always use a condom for vaginal or anal intercourse. It is just that simple. So cut out all the drama, use condoms and get on with your life.  

Your strip club incident is yet another non-risk. Read the above again in terms of sexual risks.

And now I am going to give you that Time Out for 28 days which you have been warned about several times. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new name. We'll spot that right off and it will get you permanently banned from the site.

You have no problem in terms of risk for HIV. If you can't let go of these persistent and unwarranted fears about the virus, then as previously suggested you ought to see a therapist or other professional to discuss the matter. We can't help you with that in this setting.

Oh, I see that Ann beat me to the Time Out. In any case, you now have a needed vacation from hanging out here.

Andy Velez

Offline 251275

Question for Ann or andy
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 03:47:29 am »
I posted a while back until I got a time out for my constant going on . Anyway question is after my last encounter in strip club with someone of unknown status where she was basically naked she proceeded to massage me if you like and played with my penis without condom she let me suck her nipples then proceeded to put condom on me which I then ejaculated in no sexual intercourse happened . Anyway like I said in previous posts I had neck pain which could have already been there previous to the encounter since then though my neck was quite tight on one side also pains in the side of my head same side as neck pain also arms sore couple of occasions where I have woke up sweating . Is this just my mind playing tricks and also anxiety because all I have done is think about this every single day

Offline RapidRod

Re: Question for Ann or andy
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 04:46:46 am »
■Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

■If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline 251275

Re: Question for Ann or andy
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:47 am »
Sorry rod posting things and computers were never my strong point . Can you give me an answer to my post by any chance

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:12 am »
I have merged your threads here. As we have requested before, please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

As to your latest concern, once again it is a non-risk situation. Sexually it is not complicated to know what is risky: only unprotected actual penetrating vaginally and anally are confirmed risk for HIV. That's it. As long as you consistently use condoms for those activities you will be well protected.

You need to be applying what has been said to you previosuly and repeatedly to your ongoing sexual experiences rather than running here anxiously everytime you have another sexual encounter. It's simple enough because all you have to ask yourself is was there penetration or not.

I'm going to add my warning to the serveral you have received from Ann about returning here over non-risks about which you should know better by now. You're on the verge of getting a 28 day Time Out.
Andy Velez

Offline 251275

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:03 am »
Ok Andy thanks for your reply think most of the symptoms are of guilt and anxiety just keep thinking what if . Would I be right in saying that HIV is quite a hard disease to contract in the first place and there are other STDs that are easier to catch

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:31 am »
Yes, HIV is a fragile virus which requires the kind of hospitable setting which unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse provide.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire which is why we recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to at least annually have a full STD panel done.
Andy Velez

Offline 251275

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 09:34:19 am »
Ok Andy thank you and sorry for the questions . I just can't seem to get it out my head don't really have anyone to talk to about it and I can't say anything to my wife cause if she knew what I had done that would finish us . But after reading different posts on this there seem to be other folk that have done more serious acts that what I did and have came out it ok just find it hard to believe all this anxiety theory as up until the encounter I was perfectly fine and never gave HIV a second thought now it's all i seem to think about from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 09:55:03 am »

It sounds like it's time you sought the help of a professional mental health therapist to get over your irrational fears. We cannot help you with that here.

If you insist on going on and on about your latest NO RISK concern, you WILL be give a second time out - and it will last for 56 days.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline 251275

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:04 am »
Ann

You are prob right would you happen to know how I would go about it . Am I better seeing my doctor and take it from there

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:00 am »

Ask your regular doctor for a referral to a mental health therapist.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.