Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 01:12:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's getting real now....  (Read 11232 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
It's getting real now....
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:02 am »
 8)

On November 3rd, I gave to my immediate supervisor, a letter notifying of my intent to retire. My final day will be in December 19th, with my official 2 week notice going out on December 1st.

Today, they just placed the ad on their website, to find someone to replace me.

I had to laugh, when employees came into work this morning, they asked me if I was being paid $20.00 and hour, for all this job..  ;D  I said hardly.

This is my job description as placed on the company website early this morning:

Front Desk Reception - Third Shift
Exempt/Non-Exempt:   Non-Exempt
Employment Type:   Full Time
Department:   Other
Description:   Responsible for overall operations of the front desk including: monitoring communication systems, customer service, and administrative duties as assigned.

This is a Full-Time position.
Sunday - Thursday
11:00PM - 7:00AM
Duties:   • Maintains keys for apartments, offices, staff, special locks, and mailboxes. Ensures authorized staff sign for keys, monitors key return, and key filing.
• Handles all functions of the front desk including, but not limited to:
• Operating switchboard, handling resident and staff questions and inquiries.
• Answers all incoming phone calls within three rings, handles inquiries if appropriate, and directs incoming calls to the appropriate person or extension.
• Requests all ******** guests to sign in and out, distributes visitor badges for vendors and contractors, and notifies appropriate party of visitor. If requested, notifies resident if they have a visitor.
• Receives mail packages and distributes appropriately or notifies staff/resident of package.
• Manages “guest rooms” including: reservations, keys, and processing payment.
• Answers “no dial” phone alarms, reports “no dial” phone alarms to nursing department for immediate response to possible emergency.
• Maintains front desk log of important occurrences to keep subsequent shifts updated.
• In conjunction with the nursing department maintains Resident Location Log for updates with regard to changes in residents’ location (i.e., hospital, nursing center, on vacation for overnight visits).
• Notifies appropriate departments (according to Permission Entry Form) when Resident Change Notifications are received.
• Receives outside prescription deliveries: signs for delivery, notifies resident, log activity in prescription log book to ensure pharmacy items accurately to the residents.
• Upon the beginning of the shift, conducts a radio check for all lines.
• Ensures smoke panels are turned on. Answers general alarms and 911 notification within seconds; communicates to maintenance on location.
• Communicates clearly and effectively with all forms of communication.
• Updates maintains resident telephone lists, provides copies as requested.
• Ensures only authorized individuals are accessing recently vacated apartments (i.e., persons listed in Will).
• Receives maintenance requests from residents, notifies the maintenance department with resident requests as needed and logs activity in maintenance book. Acts as backup for Plant Ops Secretary for maintenance orders/requests.
• Distributes and retrieves all in-house mail.
• Updates activities and menus daily on in-house TV channel.
• Assists other departments as needed by making copies, shredding, and other projects authorized by front desk supervisor.
• Works assigned shifts as scheduled; coordinates coverage if needs to be out.
• Remains calm in emergency situations i.e., 911, fire alarms, etc.
• Acts as back up security, as available, for residents who have been identified/instructed to not leave the building.

Qualifications:   • High school diploma or GED.
• Reception and/or Switchboard experience preferred.
• General knowledge Microsoft and/or Google programs (i.e., email, PowerPoint, etc.) preferred.

So, the countdown has begun,... I now have officially 18 working days left, before I am retired.  :P

Who would have thunk it ! Certainly not me, and not 28 years ago. These last 18 days are going to go by slowly !  :P

Ray  8)

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

Re: It's getting real now....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:13:14 am »
Congrats on your pending retirement.  It must be exciting!  You're right, I don't think many of us expected to ever have to deal with retirement.  Any major plans immediately upon retiring?

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:31 am »
Congratulations Ray!

I'm sure you will find many ways to enjoy your retirement (and I'm sure Ed is also excited)

Very happy for you!
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:22:03 am »
  Any major plans immediately upon retiring?

Greg

Yes, I told Ed that with all this time on my hands, that he can expect to be smothered with  love and affection, until it makes him nauseous ! ;D  LOL ( that's a personal joke between us)

Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:07 am »

I think the main thing though, will be getting used to sleeping at night and being awake in the daytime. Hopefully I may be able to adjust to that in a short period of time. We'll see.

This graveyard shift has been physically tough on me.  Ed also said we both have to start loosing weight, and on my first day of retirement, we are both going on the scale, and start working on that. I'm ready !

Ray  8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:48 am »
Congratulations . I also want to give you some unsolicited advice about retiring that I learned the hard way . The habits you make are the habits you keep .

I know so many people who have retired who said they were going to see the world and do this and that after they rest for a month ... and then they never get up again and are still resting years later .

I'm very happy for you and this new phase of life you are entering into , now I need to take my own advise and get out more . If you guys ever pass through Birmingham be sure to look me up .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:05 am »
Congrats Ray  ;)     speaking of driving each other bat shit crazy, both bob & I have been past that point about 5 yrs ago  ::)

we stay home alot, but we also save up for fun things, and places to go, we also gawk at things we cannot afford  ;D

so i'm sure you & ED will find a lot of things to do together, after you've run each other bat shit crazy ( just kidding sarcasm off)  ;D

so, enjoy your retirement, it's not as bad as it sounds  :)

Hugs

DEN in ABQ  8)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:16 am »
Congrats Ray  ;)     speaking of driving each other bat shit crazy, both bob & I have been past that point about 5 yrs ago  ::)

DEN in ABQ  8)

Yes, we're past the crazy too, except for when Ed drives, he drives me crazy,   ;D       and I let him know it.

Otherwise, all is calm !

If you guys ever pass through Birmingham be sure to look me up .     

We'll do that !! Maybe we can get a little mini gathering together !

Ray 8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:07:28 am »
I think the main thing though, will be getting used to sleeping at night and being awake in the daytime. Hopefully I may be able to adjust to that in a short period of time. We'll see.

This graveyard shift has been physically tough on me.  Ed also said we both have to start loosing weight, and on my first day of retirement, we are both going on the scale, and start working on that. I'm ready !

Ray  8)

The adjustment will be easier than you may think.  Congrats on the retirement and know that you have earned it.  I wish you the best! 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:02 am »
You've worked hard for this! Retirement is a great milestone, enjoy it!

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:20:31 am »
Im really pleased for you.Happy Retirement and enjoy yourself!

britchickx

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 09:50:39 pm »
Enjoy your days off and don't eat to much at the buffets.  :)
Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 08:44:46 am »
Enjoy each one , get progressively cheekier to those you dislike cause havoc for those who deserve it , flout all rules until your last day is a celebration off anarchy.

Or not. But enjoy.

m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:45 am »
 :)

At 6:54 this morning,( Friday morning),..I punched the time clock for the last time.

I am now...

OFFICIALLY RETIRED !!!!    :)

My fellow employes, got together and put together a nice farewell party for me last night at 10:00 !!

Now it's finally time to relax and enjoy life to the fullest !

Ray 8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:57 am »
Congratulations !!! . I'm sure you will get some rest and hit the road running . Do you have any special plans now that you are retired ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:22:08 am »
Do you have any special plans now that you are retired ?

Not yet, My heads still spinning !  :)  I have to let this new life, soak in for a little while !  :P

Ray  8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:33 am »

Not yet, My heads still spinning !  :)  I have to let this new life, soak in for a little while !  :P

Ray  8)

You guys can come to my retirement training school where you can learn to do my yard work, have lunch and find time for a nap . After being retired I don't know how people found time to work and still take care of the responsibility's of home . I guess part of my problem is my LTS status and need to rest significantly more than most other people me age .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:34 am »
Super congrats. 

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
Congrats Ray  :D

I've been semi-retired/disabled going on 16 yrs. now, at 1st it was very hard,but
after a few yrs. I got the hang of it (so-to-speak)  ;)

don't worry it will get better and better I promise you that, as the days, months & yrs. will all-run-together, like one big BLUR  ;D

Ray it's important, that you & ED take to time to do the things you both love doing together, as life is very short, and moves faster than EVER......

HUGS

DEN

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:23 am »
Enjoy your retirement. 

If you feel the need to shovel snow let me know  ;D

Michelle
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »
Congratulations Ray!  :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 08:01:22 am »
 :D

One year from now. I'll revive this thread, and let you know what 1 year of retirement has been like.

Hopefully by that time my weight will be down to 168 or less, from 180.  Blood pressure will be under control ( hopefully without meds),  and my cholesterol will be great !

Ray  8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 09:45:17 am »
Ray

now tell Ed to take better care of you  :o

and also now that you have time , what the hell else to you have to do  ;D

HUGS

DEN

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 06:49:59 am »
Ray

now tell Ed to take better care of you  :o

DEN

Aw,... believe me, he takes good care of me, and I take good care of him ! :)

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:37 am »

:)

I just discovered that I had some pictures that were sent to me, from another employee at my last night at work. So I thought I would share. She snapped them as I was opening gifts and cards.

THEY ALL NEW THAT   " I LOVE LUCY"  ;D

MUNCHING ON SOME PIZZA !  :)

[/img]

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 07:22:38 am »
You look too young to be retired.  :)  Truly hoping you enjoy the next trek of your life journey. 

No reason now that we won't see you both again.

hugs, luvs, and congrats.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 08:36:05 am »
Congratulations Ray! Wishing you a long, healthy and happy retirement. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
Hey Ray,

Congratulations on your retirement.  It will take you a little while to adjust to your new life, so try not to sweat the little things.  Make sure you keep yourself busy, otherwise all that new free time can really wear you out.

Wishing you and Ed Happy Holidays.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.