Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 06:00:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773469
  • Total Topics: 66369
  • Online Today: 350
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 261
Total: 261

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Two weeks pos diagnosis need an anchor  (Read 10283 times)

Offline Dezzz

Two weeks pos diagnosis need an anchor
« on: May 06, 2022, 01:55:12 pm »
I was diagnosed two weeks ago. Got on meds immediately, Biktarvy and Prezcobix due to being infected with a mutated strain. I have my first counseling session Monday. Otherwise really have no idea how to navigate through this with no real support group being single and bi. Physically feel pretty good only a short while after starting meds. Mentally I don't know where to start. Stuck on meds for life, financials of being able to afford the medications even with adap. So much I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I keep trying to realize things will get better and I will cope better with time but right now I am struggling.

Offline SFlSurvive

Re: Two weeks pos diagnosis need an anchor
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 02:21:28 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is a lot to take in. Just give yourself time to adjust and feel the emotions that cones along with a nee diagnosis. Once you start seeing your numbers get under control it will make you feel better. This is a great support group. Hang in there. It will get better.
God got me through!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 12:17:22 am »

ojo.           Hello Dezzz!

I’m sorry about your dx, I don’t know why you got tested for hiv but, whatever the reason, now you know you are hiv positive now you get treatment. Too bad you got some resistance but I guess your doctor knows how to treat you and he will find the best treatment, I have a history of resistance and my doctor found the best treatment for me, I’ve been taking the same meds for the last 14 years and I’m still UD.

You are not alone, we are here for you and you can ask you for information or moral support…the formula to keep the virus under control is, , itdiscipline taking your meds as prescribed and a positive, no pun intended, attitude , you will be find, good luck and please keep us posted

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 08:36:23 am »
but right now I am struggling.
do you feel unwell? if your answer is no, then things are already better.  :D Being on meds is the only way to deal with HIV, and you're already doing that!  :D :D Oh, and although "meds for life" sounds terrible to be quite honest, 66% of adults take daily medications. Believe it or not, these days, the only thing "special" about being HIV positive is that with a daily pill or two life goes on pretty much as it normally would.

Don't misunderstand me though. I'm not trying to minimize your concerns, fears, and worries. I'm just trying to put some perspective on the issues you mentioned. As someone who has lived with HIV for 38 years, and has needed decades of ADAP assistance, after you get past the first bit of wrapping your brain around the diagnosis, getting your access to healthcare and prescriptions worked out, and adhering to daily meds (and because this is 2022 and not 1992), living with HIV becomes a non-issue.

Give yourself some time to adjust...... and then move on to the things you want to accomplish. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dezzz

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 01:21:54 pm »
Thank you for your replies and encouragement. If someone can direct me to sites, give me insight to adap and how best to get all the financial help possible I would appreciate it. I start medicare in a few months and looking for the least expensive health ins which is surprisingly expensive so that will be what I am working with as well as getting adap. With two HIV drugs and the labs needed it looks expensive.
Thank you

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 07:54:58 pm »
If someone can direct me to sites, give me insight to adap
different states manage ADAP, which is part of the Ryan White Care Act, differently. you can check with your state's health dpt.

here's a list of links to state ADAP departments, per POZ magazine.
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/drug-assistance-programs#ADAP

If you mention your state and/or area here, you might get some more guidance from someone local

you might also want to check with the ryan white/adap representative at the clinic where you're getting healthcare. of course, getting the right coverage might take a bit to work out and take time to get there.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dezzz

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 01:30:16 am »
Thank you. I'm in CA for the next one year maybe 1.5 and hoping to move after that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:48:08 pm by Jim Allen »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 08:16:26 am »
hoping to move after that.
Family in the area, moving for work, or just changing your scenery?

The weather is great here (no blizzards....ever!), and the countryside is beautiful. When you get around to moving here, let me know what area your moving to and I'll check my sources with the Ryan White program (I've been a consumer advocate , Ryan white programs for the last decade) on suggestions about the doctors and HIV clinics in the area where you'll be moving. ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:51:48 pm by Jim Allen »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dezzz

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 03:18:32 pm »
the humidity is the one thing I will have to adjust to in summer. Thank you
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:49:42 pm by Jim Allen »

Offline Dezzz

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 07:54:53 pm »
have to adjust to in summer
air conditioning  - everybody's got it! and/or swimming pools.

I'm working on re-leveling the area we put up our pool this week, so I can get the pool up before the heat barrels in. I running a couple weeks late because of our vaca to AZ; but that's been okay, because this week has only been in the low, but sunny, 70s. the 80s crank up next week. WooHoo!  8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:50:27 pm by Jim Allen »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 04:09:39 pm »
Hi Dezz,

I can't offer you any practical advice with regards to accessing healthcare in the US as I am based in Ireland but it seems like the other forum members have already pointed you in the right direction.

Hope you are feeling okay and have managed to navigate things. keep us posted, you are not alone and we're here if you need us.

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.