Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 413
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 391
Total: 393

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question on alcohol consumption  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

Question on alcohol consumption
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:22 pm »
Hey guys (and gals), so over the past couple weeks I've been searching (both on the forums and elsewhere) about alcohol consumption and HIV medication.  I just started treatment with Stribild yesterday and just wanted to see if I could gain any insight from you veterans on this matter.

I'm a twenty-one year old college student, and while not drinking would be the ideal, it is not entirely realistic.  That said, I drink one or two nights a week usually (not heavily, just a beer or two);  I was wondering if this would have any significant impact on my health or the effectiveness of my medication.  I know Stribild suppresses liver enzymes so I would assume alcohol would have a greater (and longer-lasting) effect than it would otherwise, but beyond that I was just hoping someone on here could shine some light on this for me.

Also, I should note that my my first round of labs were as followed:
CD4: 468
VL: 74907
While certainly not at a crisis stage yet, it obviously is concerning for me being newly diagnosed. 

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can give me  :D 
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Question on alcohol consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
If I wasn't so lazy I would go find a recent study showing that the only negative factor about alcohol consumption is adherence issues .

Simply put , if booze defeated ART therapy this old LTS here wouldn't have made past 30 LOL . Everything in moderation including moderation is one of Ann's gems , and its true .

As long as your liver function isn't out of control then I say have one for me and two for you   ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
If I wasn't so lazy I would go find a recent study showing that the only negative factor about alcohol consumption is adherence issues .

Simply put , if booze defeated ART therapy this old LTS here wouldn't have made past 30 LOL . Everything in moderation including moderation is one of Ann's gems , and its true .

As long as your liver function isn't out of control then I say have one for me and two for you   ;) .
I'll drink to that. (in moderation... as described by Ann :).)
(kidding, sort of.)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »
Whelp...now i feel silly for even asking >.<

*go figure*  anyways, thank you guys for reassuring me that I wasn't somehow screwing myself over with my college antics ^.^

yaaaay *runs off to liquor store* (not really, im broke >.<)
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:33 pm »
Whelp...now i feel silly for even asking >.<

*go figure*  anyways, thank you guys for reassuring me that I wasn't somehow screwing myself over with my college antics ^.^

yaaaay *runs off to liquor store* (not really, im broke >.<)

Enjoy your college antics , you only go around once unless you believe in reincarnation and consider this a practice round . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:37:38 am »
Ahhh...College antics. Those were the days, I miss them so :'(

Moderation Mauzer, just dont go overboard please. Like Jeff and them said it's all about keeping adherent, dont get all boozed up and forget to take your pills ;)

I partake in a couple of Margaritas a week, and I just topped 1000CD4's and am doing peachy.

-Have "responsible" fun.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Pontus

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:48 pm »
my recent visit with my doc he told me that if I have a drink on occasion there is not problem. (unless you are an alcoholic, then just drinking by itself is problematic) If fact he even went a bit further and said that if I smoked weed that it was okay... again all in moderation.

Now with all of that said, my own over critical mind says if there are signs that your liver function is off (your labs will reveal if there is any concern) then you might want to adjust appropriately.  The best thing IMHO is to have a frank discuss with your doctor. 

;D
05-17-13 - Diagnosed/ Westerblot
06-03-13 - VL=500,193 / CD4 384
06-03-13 - Gnome - no resistance
06-05-13 - Start Stribild
07-23-13 - VL = 100 / CD4 664
10-14-13 - VL = 40 / CD4 592
01-03-14 - VL = UD /CD4 784

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.