Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2021, 11:18:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 760789
  • Total Topics: 64556
  • Online Today: 312
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just a blip maybe?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Jackmydin

Just a blip maybe?
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:51:51 pm »
Today my doctor finally get to see me after my last blood taken on feb. Other indicators are OK, except vl show signs on rebound. 232!!!

So the doc asked bunch of questions like have I been skipping meds or is there any other side effects etc. I have been taking my pills as prescribed and so far only misses 1 dose..finally he come to conclusion that its a blip and he will have me back again on August to get another blood test done.

After hearing the viral load shot up my mind just couldn't shake off the feeling of all sorts of what if situations. And I'm very worried. =(

Should I really wait this long for another confirmation. August scheduled blood test, or should I just go to a private lab and check.. Is it worth checking after 2 months (blood test last taken on Feb)

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Just a blip maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:39:28 pm »
blips happen. not to everybody but definitely to some of us. And some of us are "blessed" with multiple incidents through the years.

I've had blips from the trivial 40 and 170 to the extreme of 59K! A few years ago over a period of nine months (with my blood work happening every 3 months) my viral load went from UD to 170 to 2400 to 7900 to 59000.....and then back to UD. No changes in meds, diet, etc. No health issues. Adherent to all meds. When my counts spiked that high, we had a genotype done, and you know what the results were? My meds were still working fine against my HIV. Matter of fact, my HIV had been resistant to one med I took in the past (epivir) but it was a non-viable mutation. So, lo and behold, my HIV is no longer resistant to that med. LOL Of course, it's an old med now and I'll never go back to it; but it is nice to know that I have that one in reserve in a worst case scenario/apocalypse.

the medical answer to the situation lies in the reservoirs. The reason we have to take meds all the time is that the meds are never able to clear all the HIV in our systems. Some HIV (dormant, non-reproducing) is left over and "hides out". But periodically these pockets of HIV kick into action. If you stay adherent to meds, there will be enough meds floating around in your system to attack this newly activated HIV and kill it off....but there's always still a little bit of HIV hanging around. (one version of a possible cure for HIV is called kick and kill. meds would kick the hiv out of the reservoirs and then kill it all off)

So let's say today is the day you're having your blood taken and these reservoirs act up a little --- and there's your blip. We're probably all blipping all the time - we're just not getting tested every day to know what days we have a blip. CD4 counts are no better. a one hundred point range of change every day seems pretty radical....although it really isn't. LOL

there's no need to run out and get another test. just try to chill till the next test. " "Undetectable" is actually a very imprecise word anyway. Studies actually base successful HIV treatment as <200, not 0 which you would think "undetectable" meant. You barely have a count and only one result, so you really shouldn't give this incident the dignity of the word "rebound".

hope that helps you not worry until Aug ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Jackmydin

Re: Just a blip maybe?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:10:55 pm »
Thanks leatherman,

That's a really helpful speech especially reading this first thing in the morning. I'll make sure I keep myself adherent to meds. It's just the scary thought and this is the first time I ever experienced it. I would try not to over react :)

Pray my next blood test would be ud.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.