Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:05:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: And the winner is . . .  (Read 5602 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
And the winner is . . .
« on: December 15, 2011, 12:35:51 am »
Paula Deen and the butter express.

Or, you might think so looking at my lipid numbers.

I saw the doctor yesterday for my semiannual look-see and I had them give me printouts of all my labs as usual.

Well, on the positive side, my kidneys are functioning like troopers. There was so little microalbumin in the sample they couldn't test it.

Also, my fasting blood glucose was 89, and the hemoglobin A1c was 5.3, so those are looking good and no sign of diabetes.

My CD4 was still OK, although a tad lower than the last time. It was 945 and 40 percent, and the viral load was <20, or undetectable, whichever you prefer. The doctor was relatively pleased with those numbers. I am too.

Now, about those lipids . . .

The doctor was very polite. He said, "They suck."

Gotta love my doctor.

My triglycerides were sort of OK at 143. I would prefer them to be around 100.

But, my overall cholesterol was 220. OUCH!

My doctor wants it below 180 because of my history of having smoked and because heart conditions run in the family.

My HDL was too low at 33, and my LDL was too high at 158. There isn't much that we can do to raise the HDL, but the doc wants the LDL below 130, and preferably closer to 100.

UGH.

On a somewhat more positive note, my CPKs have come down. They are at 499, much less than the 1,100 they were the last time.

Of course, they are supposed to be less than 170, but I'll take what I can get.

I also have gained weight. I was afraid that was the case. I am back up to a strapping 187 pounds. (Just butter my butt and call me biscuit.)

So, we are upping the ante somewhat.

My doctor wants me to shed a few pounds - like 15.

I also am under orders to continue exercising regularly, but more so. Instead of two hours three times a week, he would like me to exercise five times a week.

How I am going to fit that into my schedule, I have yet to figure out.

We are also increasing my Niaspan to 1,000 mgs a day.

On top of that, I am increasing my vegetarian days from three a week to four or five., with the rest being either fish or very lean boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast.

I am still allowed 2 whole eggs a week, but only two. I am allowed all the egg whites I want.

No dairy - period.

I am allowed to treat myself to red meat once, or possibly twice, a month. But, it should still be as lean as possible and all excess fat must be removed.

I am allowed one square of very dark chocolate every couple of days, so I will get a special treat too.

But, the doctor also said I might consider having two glasses of red wine a day. Since I love Merlot, this is a definite plus and I am looking forward to this part of the new eating lifestyle I am adopting.

So, all in all, not horrible news and certainly not unexpected. But I was hoping for a bit better results in the lipid arena.

I just have to try harder, I guess.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:14:55 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: And the winner is . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:37 am »
. (Just butter my butt and call me biscuit.)

I'll take you up on this offer, so don't temp me mark, Your place or mine, don't worry Bob won't mind @ all he may join in on the FUN  :P

I don't see my doc till late FEB 2012, and I know something is up  :-[  I feel like SHIT, and I've had 2 cold in the last 3 months, and I haven't had a cold in 10 yrs. I sure hope teh AIDS aint coming to really get this time, but I guess we'll see.....

I kill for 945 CD4 count but I know dam that ship has sailed, so say my doc  :-\  hang-in-there, you still have great numbers, wish I had them  :-*
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:25:44 am »
I have said before you are an inspiration for fighting the good fight and that's still true . I only wish I had cholesterol and lipids numbers a fraction as good as yours , from where I stand your progress is envyable .

I have been discussing this issue for years now with my doctor . My last visit with my endocrinologist and ID doc I asked to combine the visits so we could discuss it and try to approach it from both angles with diet , medication and lipid friendly HIV regimens . All I got from my effort was two doctors who said they would think about it and let me know but never got back to me with any suggestions .

I have felt a sense of personal failure trying to improve these labs numbers but have come to believe that years of HIV meds , genetics and my age are responsible and there is only so much that can be done . Its a difficult issue for many of us LTS . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
jg speaks the truth

Have fun with Dennis and Bob

Please only think about your report after the merot

We all love biscuits

mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »
US-biscuits a cross between bread/brioche/scone often served hot enjoyed with roast meats/fried chicken gravy /

Brit BIC  / a variety off flour/grain/butter/fruit/spices/flavourings/chocolate/nuts
 often crispy but can be chewy, served cold with Tea or Coffee.

Brits who grew up next to US air force bases and have US in-laws might know this.

Next week we will look at pancake and pants.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »

And pissed vs pissed too. I always find myself thinking Yanks are constantly drunk when in fact they're just angry.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:12:28 pm »

One must have real maple syrup for pancakes, and as far as I know that's a New England/Quebec thing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »
One must have real maple syrup for pancakes, and as far as I know that's a New England/Quebec thing.

100% agreement for the US pancake.
But the crepe/pancake without any raising agent its fresh lemon and raw cane brown sugar

And a great big apology to Mark for the insensitive hijacking off a thread  about off all things diet, sorry Mark it evolved that way .

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.