Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 629
Total: 629

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: found out today  (Read 7954 times)

Offline floydian

found out today
« on: October 11, 2008, 01:22:39 pm »
I got my results this morning. I am really depressed right now. I have been struggling with the fear for 6 months now. I had plans for a vacation with my parents and am supposed to leave on Tuesday. Dont know how to tell them, I come from a very conservative family and I am the only son. The viral load and cd4 counts will take another week to get in. I am feeling very helpless and alone....

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: found out today
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »
Floydian,  I know the feeling of fear...  But "knowing" is far better than the fear you had not knowing.   You now can deal with the diagnosis and you will live through this.   As for telling your parents, there is no need, not now, not yet.   Get your wits about you and learn about what it means to be positive in 2008.   My partner has not disclosed to his parents as yet and it has been 3+ years.   "There is no need".  "I feel fine, and I am not going to die from this" he says.  "So why make them worry?"  I on the other hand did disclose and I have that support, but I knew my parents and how they would react very clearly before I disclosed.    First I got to understand what hiv is before I brought my family into it.   In the meantime, go on vacation and be with your family.   Let the doctors do their work for you.   Talk with people here and read up on the disease....  Your family will probably notice a change in you and how you interact, this is fine, but for now I would hold off until things become clearer for you...

Your going to make it, just hang on..

Hugs,

Eric   

Offline floydian

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 02:29:58 pm »
Thanks life,
Also I am not a US citizen, can I be deported? Does the health department share the information with immigration services? Also is it safe to travel out of the country... .

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 03:46:10 pm »
Floydian,

I too am an only child, I know the pressure it puts on you to tell your parents....but there is no reason to rush into disclosing to them....I didnt disclose for 6 mos. and in my situation they handled it fine, my mother is great support. Take a breath, try to relax and realize that this is not a death sentence. Ive been poz for a year, not on meds, and I generally feel fine. There's alot to learn, and there is a wealth of info here in the forums. You have alot of friends here, always know that. I know its emotionally tough at first, but trust me, it gets much better!

Not sure about the deporation question, but im sure someone else will be along shortly to maybe answer that.

Hugs, Luv,
-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:57 pm »
You didn't even have a risk of contracting HIV. You were also advised of it at Medhelp and AidsMeds.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 06:16:45 pm »
If you don't get your results until next week what results did you get...until you have been given your results through the proper channels, then please don't post in this forum or the "Living with" forum.

You were told in the "AM I" forum on the 8th of Oct you had no risk, you said you had protected sexwith a CSW and some fingering..now after 4 days you are telling us you are HIV poitive..I don't think so.

Please consider yourself warned..do not post in these forums again.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline floydian

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 06:30:23 pm »
I got my first screening on Sep 26 statpak repeatedly positive
followed by negative WB which i got back on oct 2nd
Then positive oraquick on oct 6th and then WB which was positive
I got a call last evening and went in this morning to get the results It was positive

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »
First off no one is given a second Western Blot. You did not contract HIV from protected sex or from fingering.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:49:32 pm »
Your history so far shows that in April 2008 you had protected sex..so that's a no risk.

In June of this year you tested negative at 10 weeks.

In July of this year your tested negative at 17weeks.

On the 8th of Oct you had protected sex with a CSW..now you are telling us you are positive, I'm pretty confused about the whole thing, and frankly I'm having trouble believing you..maybe someone else can figure this out, I just don't have the time right now~~sigh~~

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline floydian

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:30:55 pm »
everyone who gets a positive screening test and negative WB is given another test after 1month. I went back in 10 days to get another test because of my upcoming travel.

Jan
Even I dont believe this is happening. I got drunk with friends and told them I was worried about hiv for  months and they said it can never happen with protected sex, they took me there and like a stupid I did it again. I was really drunk.... thats my story if it wasnt so tragic it would be funny and ironic

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:40:44 pm »
It's not ironic and you aren't funny. You were never at risk and no they don't do two Western Blot tests. You're forgetting your talking to people that are Positive.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
You were WARNED.

Please consider yourself warned..do not post in these forums again.

Jan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.