Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 388
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Philadelphia - let's hope I don't get killed by a drifter.  (Read 12343 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
If you spend enough time around me you'll learn two things:

1. I am afraid of being lost.
2. I am afraid of public transportation.

Yet I am going to encounter both things this upcoming Thursday (the 29th) as I take a trip down to Philadelphia (alone for the first time ever in life ... ever) to check out the Trans Conference going on there Thursday through Saturday.

I've seriously never been on a Greyhound before. And I've never been in a big city virtually alone before, either. Virtually alone because I do have quite a few friends attending the conference and I will be spending a bit of time with a certain resident of Philadelphia we are all quite familiar with here.  ;D I have almost no money. I don't know how I'm going to pay for food as I can barely afford the bus tickets, but I'm pretty much just going with very little money and a messenger bag full of clothes and toothpaste and shit. There are literally *three different people* I will be staying with on *three different nights* because they all offered me a place to sleep for no charge, which means a great deal to me.

But anyway, the plans are for the most part confirmed and I am totally scared, so please give me some encouragement and tell me I will not be offed by some Philly version of Leatherface while I'm there.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Philadelphia - let's hope I don't get killed by a drifter.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:17:49 am »
Matty the Damned is understandably beside himself with worry.  :-\

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:20:24 am »
You are going to be fine..this sounds like a big adventure for you so sit back and enjoy it...and like you said you will be with people you know once you get there.

I have no idea how long the bus trip will be but take sandwiches and some bottles of juice so you don't have to spend any money at the bus stops (I'm assuming they do have stops along the way).

Have a great time and don't stress about anything...and of course we all want reports when you get back.

Edited to add..because Matty was posting at the same time....our young man is growing up Matty, I know it can be scary going out on your own for the first time, and there are many here who will worry about him, but he has a good head on his shoulders.

Hugs
Jan :-*

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:24:14 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:26:26 am »
I know. He's nearly 18. I still don't like the idea that the Smaller One is awake after midnight, but I'll cope. ;)

MtD
(Who has known the Little Man since he was 14)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:32:02 am »
It's about a 2 hour bus ride. I'm not that far from Philly. I don't think there'll be any stops. I hope not anyway. I just want to get on and get off and go where I wanna go. I'm making a friend of mine meet me  at the terminal even though it's honestly a matter of a few hundred feet from the place I'm going. I'm like 5'5" and small and scared of my own shadow. No way am I going to be alone when I don't have to be. xD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:43:42 am »
. I just want to get on and get off and go where I wanna go.  I'm like 5'5" and small

I can relate to that, that's how I feel everytime I board a plane....and you have 4 inches on me..so anyone over 5'1" is tall as far as I'm concerned... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:03:03 am »
Are you calling our Phillicia a drifter?  :o

You'll be just fine, lad. Go with your instincts. If they say "don't look/talk at/to that person", then don't. I bet by the end of the trip you'll be wondering what you were so worried about.

Have a great time!

Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:41:57 am »
Just don't go wandering the streets alone and make sure that you're with someone that you know and trust at all times - we are probably more nervous than you are

Your guardians on here do really care for you and worry if everything isn't going well for you

Just have a good time

Hugs from
Aunty Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:57 am »
But anyway, the plans are for the most part confirmed and I am totally scared, so please give me some encouragement and tell me I will not be offed by some Philly version of Leatherface while I'm there.

Oh, honey - phillicia doesn't look that  bad!  And tedious, yes...but murderous?  No.

You'll be fine.   :-*
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:42:49 am »
Dear, I share the same fears as you (going somewhere I've never been etc.).  Like Jan said, pack some sandwiches, drink etc.  I'm sure Philicia will keep you fed.  And she should be a good guide also.  You'll be alright.  Please let us know what happens as soon as you're able.  I'll be thinking about you sweetie.
  Luv,
Betty

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

tendai

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:54:43 am »
Good luck mouse, i'm sure u'll be fine..

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:20:45 am »
Politely refuse if Philly serves liver with Fava beans, especially if he offers you a glass of a nice Chianti.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:25:11 am by Dachshund »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:21 am »
You have been on my mind Mouse ( I was about to post something this morning like "where the hell is Mouse?  or something like that)

Wow, your trip sounds exciting but I do understand your anxieties  about traveling (getting lost and public transportation). Everyone has given good advice (although I don't think a red wine would go well with liver)  I would also suggest keeping your money and stuff tucked away on your person (not a jacket or something you might want to take off). OH and stops? um, well don't be surprised if you hit every city to Philadelphia (but hopefully things have changed since the last time i rode a bus a long distance)

Take care and let us know how it went,
hugs,
Sharkie

Offline komnaes

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:57:20 am »
Have fun Mouse! Raid Philly's record collection for me .. I want his 80s stuff! ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:09:06 am »
Everyone has given good advice (although I don't think a red wine would go well with liver)

It would go well with your liver. ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:25:11 am »
We're having bresaola that night anyway.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:38 pm »
I hope you have a wonderful time Mouse!   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 02:10:53 pm »
Politely refuse if Philly serves liver with Fava beans, especially if he offers you a glass of a nice Chianti.

:o

For the record I am not delicious. :/

Offline dusty99

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 02:18:17 pm »
Mouse,

Might I suggest that if you have a cell phone, that if it has GPS capabilities that that you activate that in the unlikely event you get turned around direction wise, I know that I did the last time i was in Philly, and I was downtown on Broad street. Nice area though. Just some advice to help you on the trip. Never hurts to be very prepared.

OH, and have fun. Philly is an interesting city.

*edited for content*
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:19:49 pm by dusty99 »
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »
Philadelphia is easy to get around in. You're going to be fine there, Jaser. You'll probably notice a lot of things your native hosts hardly even pick up on and so you'll be turning them on to their own city.

The time is going to fly and be over before you want it to be and you'll be talking about how soon you want to go back again. Really.

Have a great time. This is an adventure!

Andy Velez

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 08:09:06 am »
Hey Alice spending time with Philly will result in you stepping through a rainbow colored looking glass. Here's a remix you may like that was done by an Australian bloke named Nick Bertke who describes himself as a deviant of many talents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY&eurl=http://www.kottke.org/remainder/08/05/15707.html

I think the kid is nineteen.

http://pogon.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 08:10:47 am by Dachshund »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 11:55:09 am »
Jaser -- you're going to have a blast, I know it.  I grew up outside Philly (in Berwyn, PA), so I know the city well -- it's a great town.

xoxo,

Peter

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 11:59:58 am »
I grew up outside Philly (in Berwyn, PA)

Ah, a Main Line Girl -- that speaks volumes :)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 12:05:56 pm »
Jaser -- you're going to have a blast, I know it.  I grew up outside Philly (in Berwyn, PA), so I know the city well -- it's a great town.

xoxo,

Peter

Who are you and what did you do with Peter Staley?

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 12:22:07 pm »
Ah, a Main Line Girl -- that speaks volumes :)

I know, I know.  I'll never live it down.  And I can do a pretty good Katherine Hepburn from The Philadelphia Story (a classic "Main Line Girl" movie).

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »

xoxo,

Peter

Oh god. I've been there. I once took a trip with a crazy bisexual girl I met at a lgbt group I go to up here who lived in Berwyn and asked me if I could help her move her shit back home from college (she went to De Sales up here).

I can't even properly express the level of crazy she was. Why do I have to be so damn nice?

She had a horrible crush on me. Shudder.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 12:12:35 am »
Annnd the bus tickets have been purchased and I have to go now whether I like it or not. :x Eee.

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 09:48:25 pm »
i left my hear in philly but still live about an hour away. are you looking for a guide while there? let me know. I am very familiar with the city after living there for like 18 years. I love it and miss it and cannot wait to go back. I need to find cheaper rent or a room mate.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:53 pm »
The only thing that I've wanted to find out about more was the Gaydar poll that philly ran. How was the weekend, Jaser?

:)
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline fearless

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 12:09:31 am »
How Mouse,

How was the big smoke?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:11 am »
He's here next weekend.  He's not here right now.

Offline fearless

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 02:38:00 am »
You mean last thursday was not the 29th :-\. man, i'm off with the fairies sometimes.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:09 pm »
I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you to keep track of dates seeing as how you live in the future and all with the rest of the Australians. :|

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:50 am »
Well.

I'm off in a half hour to the bus stop and I'm leaving at 10 to 9 for Philly. :x Scaredscaredscared.

<3 you guys.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:32 am »
Be careful if offered a window seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-tVgqKoOg

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 08:33:08 am »
Good luck Jaser, and have a wonderful time.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:54 pm »
First text message received from Mouse at 2:40 PM EST:  "Your city sucks"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 05:38:54 pm »
He's 17. Everything sux.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 01:24:16 pm »
update please

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 01:29:15 pm »
Well, Philicia just donated a Louis Vuitton belt, a black pair of Thierry Mugler jeans and an orange shirt with rubberized trim (very 80's retro) to the Mouse College Apparel Fund.  (Jaser said stfu Matty about the clothing...)

Oh, and last night we watched Dangerous Liasons and ate buttermilk fried chicken from Whole Foods, because I was too lazy to cook.  (oh... did I mention that he TOTALLY blew off the Tranny Convention yesterday?  slacker!)

Then I'm taking him to the bus station in a few hours.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 02:16:21 pm »
Glad you guys had fun.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 02:21:58 pm »
(oh... did I mention that he TOTALLY blew off the Tranny Convention yesterday? 

typical mo

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 05:29:38 pm »
OK.  Mouse was safely placed on a Greyhound bus an hour ago.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.