Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:46:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 626
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: stressing and need advice.  (Read 4719 times)

Offline cbdc3

stressing and need advice.
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »
Hello all-

My story in a nut shell, I was dx in May 2015 have been on Stribild and Bactrim and Diflucan since May as well. My numbers at time of dx was cd4: less than 20 and my vl: over 6.8 million. Have my first labs done in June cd4: at 83 vl: at 370. Next set of labs no cd4 given but vl: down to 59, retested in august but lab screwed up, retested beginning of September lab sent over a bunch of numbers the Dr didn't understand but looks like my vl: went up to 80 and my cd4: went down to 29. So dr had me retest once again with a different lab and I am currently waiting for those results. My question and stressing is I have been compliant with taking my meds daily at the same time very rarely Being late taking them and never more than an hour later than scheduled time. Could the meds not be working for me? Am I in the 5-10% that never have their cd4 raise. Was this just another lab screw up ( please God let that be the case)? I know stressing about it can make me sick but being a stress cadet has always been my case and haven't figured out how to stop. I know there is nothing more that I can do than I already am, but this waiting is driving me up a wall. I have been waiting for 2 months to get these numbers and my head knows that knowing the results aren't going to make a difference if it's good or bad but I can't think about anything else lately. Any words of wisdom here would be much appreciated.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: stressing and need advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »
Hey CB,

If I read your post correctly, your viral load went from 6.8 million in May to 370 in June and down to 59 as of your last results and this is great news.  You are virtually undetectable as far as your VL goes and that means that your CD4s can stop fighting an oppressive VL and work at rebuilding their ranks.  What you are experiencing is what we all hope for in treatment: reduction of VL to undetectable, followed by rebuilding of CD4s.

Your labs are great and don't worry about the low CD4s right now, as it will take some time for them to rebuild.  How long it may take is unknown, but your treatment is working extremely well and you should not be worried if it takes time for your CD4s to rebuild.

Welcome to the forums.

Joe

Offline efox020

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:52:37 pm »
I agree with Joe your meds are working great! My situation is similar I've been on meds 8 months now from a VL of 80 million, still not UD but getting closer, my doctor put it this way the meds are like a sponge getting rid of the virus  and as it takes large amounts of the virus out more keep coming out of hidden places until eventually its mostly gone and then your VL will stabilize UD.

CD4's go up and down don't pay much attention to that look at the percentages instead there more constant. My CD4s when up once then down twice and then up again, but the percentage was  consistent.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »
You've had a 1000x reduction in VL in a couple of months.  100x is considered good, so don't worry about it bouncing around a bit at this level for a while.  The Stribld is working great.

You probably have bunches of virus in reserves that are getting out and being squashed back down.  Eventually it will all stabilize at UD levels and your CD4 counts will start to recover, no one can tell you how long that will take.

Offline cbdc3

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:41:20 pm »
Thank you for the words of encouragement, mostly stressing because at my last appointment Dr. said we should be looking at cd4 of 200 + so was very discouraged when I heard it had dropped. I know, I know...it takes time. I keep trying to tell myself that and I need to keep telling myself that, but Jesus wish I had a fast forward button at the moment.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:59:50 pm »
Thank you for the words of encouragement, mostly stressing because at my last appointment Dr. said we should be looking at cd4 of 200 + so was very discouraged when I heard it had dropped. I know, I know...it takes time. I keep trying to tell myself that and I need to keep telling myself that, but Jesus wish I had a fast forward button at the moment.

ojo       Hello...take it easy, your medication is working, just try to relax, I was in your situation with a cd4=20, now, my cd4=578...I know that you are going to be fine...hugs you might need them           ojo

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:48:34 pm »
Doctors throw out little comments like "we should have your cd4s over 200" without understanding what impact that has on patients.

Sure that is a target, but there isnothing we can do can speed that process. So it is a useless target. cd4 recovery has it's own time and dynamic which is unique to each patient.

Next visit to your doctor, explain this to him/her and explain the impact the comment has had on you.  Doctors need to learn from their patients too. :)

Offline cbdc3

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:43:31 pm »
Again want to thank you all for your support. I would like to let you all know it was a lab screw up and my cd4 is 139 and my vl has dropped to undetectable.  :D

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
Again want to thank you all for your support. I would like to let you all know it was a lab screw up and my cd4 is 139 and my vl has dropped to undetectable.  :D

ojo     Hello there...great news, your med is working, just relax and wait for your soldiers (cd4) to recover little by little, you have gotten an UD reading, which is the objective of your treatment...keep taking your med and your Bactrim, keep us posted and hugs             ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.