Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:25:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 186
Total: 187

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz here I come  (Read 16132 times)

Offline DanielMark

Reyataz here I come
« on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:34 pm »
After nearly five years to the month, I am now off of Kaletra and beginning with Reyataz (and Combivir).

Because of my high cholesterol and triglyceride readings, my doc has been trying to get me to make the switch for about two years. Monday I had my semi annual and I finally caved. They sent in the big guns (the clinic pharmacist) to try and change my mind.

Tonight I've just taken my first dose with supper and wonder which if any of the potential side effects I'm gonna have. Hopefully none of them.  :-\

The good news is there wasn’t much change in my main numbers:

CD4 915 (27.4%) down slightly from 954 (28.8%) in June and the VL remains undetectable.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Reyataz here I come
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:02:51 am »
Daniel,

Wishing you the best on the med change. I have never been on the Protease Inhibitor class yet,( after 4 years and two months on meds) so I really can't comment about the Reyataz.

Your numbers are very good, here's wishing the med change will help in getting your cholesterol and triglyceride numbers in better shape. Also hoping you handle this new med, with very little side effects.

Hang in there------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:13:54 am »
I had horrible gas and bowel problems on Rey. Fortunately I became resistant to it after a few months.
Dont some people turn yellow for a few days when they start? I did not experience this.

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:44:23 am »
Good luck and I hope you don't suffer any noticeable side-effects!

I also have a triglyceride problem and have just been prescribed the same regimen but have yet to receive the medications.  Due to a viral load increase over 6 months, my doc performed a Geno/pheno test and discovered that I had become resistant to Atripla, meaning that from the NRTI/NtRTI class I had the M184V and K65R mutation and from the NNRTI, the K103N mutation hence requiring that I move to the PI's.

I question the combivir drug because I had experienced some facial lipoatrophy and mid section lipodystrophy when Epivir was part of my regimen some time ago.  I also tried  AZT in the early 90's when it was given in large doses as monotherapy but couldn't tolerate it.  I'm also hopeful this new combo will be easy on the system.

Are you also taking Norvir to "boost" the Reyataz?  I may have to challenge my doc further to find out why he is using the older NRTI's (my suspicion is that due to the K65R, options are limited) and why he has me boosting when I'm not taking the Viread. 
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:08:38 am »
Hey Daniel,

I had very good results with Reyataz and would still be taking it had I not had the proton pump inhibitor issue.

I never had any side effects from it. I mean none. Of course, I was on Crixivan for 11 years, so after that, my body probably just threw in the towel and didn't bother with side effects.  ;)

I presume you are boosting the Reyataz with 100 mgs of Norvir, right?

By the way, I also take Combivir and it has worked very well for me for nearly 12 years. (Part of that was before they made it and I was taking AZT/3TC separately.)

I still have lipo issues but, at this time, I just don't have the energy or the will to switch it out for another nuke.

Good luck with the new regimen. I think you will find it is very easy to take.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:27:34 am »
Thanks for the comments guys,

No Norvir Mark, just the Combivir.

Slept better than I have in weeks and woke refreshed for a change.

After less than 24 hours I wasn't really expecting any side effects, but time will tell.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »
Hiya Daniel,

I am on Reyataz boosted with Norvir plus Truvada since mid 2006. No particular side effects despite some gaz from time to time, and some fluctuations between too floody and too heavy visits to Mr WC also from time to time. I changed my eating to more fruits, vegetables and dried fruits, and less sauces, fried and red meat. This has helped me with those digestive burdens. No high cholesterol neither triglycerides. At the moment, no creatinine problems (kidney) and no liver problems, unless a high level of bilirrubin that, in my doctor's oppinion, is not very much important as I have not became yellow skin man anyway. I've been feeling a pain in the lower back, but this happens since the time I got infected. I don't relate it to meds neither my doc.

CD4 were at 1140 when started Reyataz, then 1280, then 920, then 1520, then 1640 and now (november) 1639. VL undetectable and last % was 48. (I started treatments very soon, within 3 months after being infected)

I am very happy with this combo and hope it lasts working as much as possible. Before, I was on Truvada plus Sustiva, but only could resist Sustiva during one month...

Hugs!

:-)

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:12:46 am »
Ten days after beginning Reyataz, nothing has turned yellow (tho I wouldn't mind that golden glow tan I've heard about).  ;)

The only problem I've encountered so far is some rather dark dreams – some of them nearly nightmares. I never ever had those on Kaletra. To see if we can improve that, I have changed my dose to mornings instead of evenings.

We shall see.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:47 am »
Daniel,
I am also having Kaletra related issues, as I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Perhaps I waited too long, but I had no choice . I had to wait for Prezista.  I have been on it for two months...i get my lab results next week. I think you did the right thing by getting off kaletra, like you, it has messed me up in the triglyceride readings.

Change is good. I hope you do well. Best of luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 12:11:44 pm »
Thanks Jeffrey,

I hope the change works out for you too.

Kaletra served me well for five years, so I won’t complain. Glad to say the anxious dreams I was having at first have now returned to their former long and entertaining episodes. I’m able to sleep longer and get more nighttime rest because of that.

I go on January 10 for the first blood draw to check how the Reyataz is working out.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 02:24:36 am »
Daniel,
I am just curious: Why are you not taking Norvir ????

Also, are you going to have to anything for cholesterol? Kaletra has given me all kinds of different issues(Diabetes for one)

Thanks....Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »
Daniel,
I am just curious: Why are you not taking Norvir ????

Also, are you going to have to anything for cholesterol?

Thanks....Jeff

To answer your first question Jeff, that option was deemed not necessary in my case. I take Combivir instead.

And to answer the second question, no, I’m not. In fact, cholesterol-lowering drugs are contraindicated for people taking Reyataz.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 03:25:06 pm »
Daniel likewise I would question as to why you are not taking Ritonavir.

You have been on it ( part of Kaletra ) which is lopinavir and ritonavir.

I might be wrong but only patients that were not exposed to PI's are prescribes Reyataz without boosting it with Ritonavir.

Since you have been exposed to PI's in the past I would ask my doctor as to why you are not taking it.

Perhaps because your CD4 are so high and undetectable, or just me making a mistake.

Just wondering, Take care, Alain.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 06:28:14 am »
Hi Alain,

There are a few reasons why I'm not boosting Reyataz with Norvir. My track record as you suggest, and I am taking a higher dose (400 mg daily) of Reyataz than is normally prescribed (300 mg daily). This is a dose that others at my (hospital) clinic are having good results with, and Reyataz without Norvir is an acceptable treatment option. Everyone’s medical and medication needs are different. I also take a nightly sedative so that has to be considered.

I trust my doctor and the hospital clinic pharmacist's recommendations and they have not failed me yet. We discussed the switch from Kaletra carefully and the final decision was mine. I go for blood work this week and should have a clearer picture then of how this is working (or not) and make any adjustments as needed / if needed after that.

Oh, and a happy new year!

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:06:32 am »
Hey Daniel,

Acutally, there are a couple of cholesterol meds that may be added to a regimen containing Reyataz. One is Crestor and the other Pravachol (or its generic, Pravastatin).

I had good luck with the Pravastatin while on Reyataz. It was the first time my cholesterol was actually in the normal range - ever!

I also take Zetia, which is another cholesterol med and 4,000 mgs of fish oil.

Cross your fingers they still work with Lexiva.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:50:24 am »
Hey Daniel,

Acutally, there are a couple of cholesterol meds that may be added to a regimen containing Reyataz. One is Crestor and the other Pravachol (or its generic, Pravastatin).

Thanks for educating me about that Mark. Is it true that once you begin those types of drugs that you have to stay on them for life?

Also, I have read unfavourable reports about statins. Such as:

Crestor Damage Higher Than Other Cholesterol Drugs

Public Citizen's Dr. Wolfe renewed his effort in October 2004 to get the anti-cholesterol drug Crestor removed from sale in the US market. Dr. Wolfe had previously published a letter in The Lancet medical journal, saying that Crestor is linked to increased incidences of rhabdomyolysis and at a higher rate than other statin drugs. Dr. Wolfe now says that the adverse side effects associated with the use of Crestor include kidney damage.

In an October 29, 2004 Press Release, Public Citizen reported that the rate of kidney damage in Crestor patients is 75 times higher than in patients taking other cholesterol drugs. There have been 29 reports of acute renal failure or renal insufficiency.

The FDA had evidence before approving Crestor that it caused an increased incidence of rhabdomyolysis, says Dr. Wolfe, yet the FDA approved the drug anyway. As of August 26, 2004, there were 65 reports of rhabdomyolysis among U.S. patients who took Crestor, which Dr. Wolfe says makes Crestor as dangerous as Baycol, a cholesterol lowering drug that was withdrawn from the market in 2001.

In an October 2004 issue of The Lancet medical journal, Crestor manufacturer AstraZeneca defended Crestor, saying in a letter that Crestor's safety profile is similar to those of the currently marketed statins.

AstraZeneca changed Crestor's European label in June 2004 due to safety concerns. Since that time, Health Canada and the US FDA have advised that patients be prescribed the lowest possible dose of Crestor because of the possibility of adverse side effects associated with Crestor.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 10:07:08 am »
Hey Daniel,

I don't know about the "forever" issue and statins. I will ask about that though.

I hadn't heard the news about Crestor. It does give one pause. I will stick to Pravastatin, which is what I have been taking for quite a while now.

I do know that Zocor is a definite no-no for anyone taking PIs and Lipitor can cause problems as well.

By the way, how's the Reyataz treating you? I hope you find it as trouble free as I did.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline TimmyT

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 06:00:13 pm »
Hey Daniel, I have been on Reyataz for about 4 years now. All is well. I do not boost with Norvir. I have experienced side effects with Norvir in the past, therefore my doctor and I choose not to include it. I combine Reyataz with Epzicom. So far so good. I also take Tricor for the lipid issues I experience. The Tri's look good, and the HDL looks great, but the LDL is still in the weeds, and I keep resisting to add a statin to the mix after having kidney stones while using Lipitor previously while using a different cocktail. So all in all I'm enjoying the Reyataz/Epzicom ride.

Offline Jacques

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 02:27:33 am »
Hello Daniel,

I was on Kaletra/ Combivir too and had to switch to Reyataz /Tuvada because of high triglycerides and cholesterol, despite the use of fenofibrate ( an other class of lipid lowering agents ).  Surprisingly, my triglycerides and cholesterol levels promptly returned to  normal values. The drop was so important that my doctor stopped the fenofibrate right away. After a year an a half, my lipid values are still normal.  So, if it happened to me, it could happen to others  as well.

bonne chance
Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 07:37:14 am »
Thanks, guys.

By the way, how's the Reyataz treating you? I hope you find it as trouble free as I did.

Good so far, Mark. Had disturbing dreams when I was taking it at supper time at first, but after switching to mornings that went away. I’m going this week to have blood drawn to check on how things are going internally.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline cheehan2002

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 07:13:49 pm »
Hi Daniel.  I was on Reyataz most of last year.  I had switched to Reyataz from Kaletra and took Truvada along with both of those PIs.  My doctor and I decided to switch back to Kaletra now as I had minor problems with kidney "crystals/stones" and didn't want to graduate to major problems.  I seemed to feel better or at least different with Reyataz so I was in some way sorry to have to drop it.  I had previous problems with kidney stones when I used to be on Crixivan, so it's just possible that I am susceptible to that problem.  I hope things go well for you.  David

Offline ubotts

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 05:14:22 am »
Daniel,
I am also having Kaletra related issues, as I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Perhaps I waited too long, but I had no choice . I had to wait for Prezista.  I have been on it for two months...i get my lab results next week. I think you did the right thing by getting off kaletra, like you, it has messed me up in the triglyceride readings.

Change is good. I hope you do well. Best of luck!

HI Jeff, I got off kaletra for over  which i was on for 3yrs..cause I was gaining too much weight plus I just had bloodtests to see if I have diabetes as well..
I do have hep c and know my liver is in bad shape.........going for sonogram on the 17th
to check further..
THey changes kaletra to reyataz and Noviar.........which seem ok, but I am not sure if all
this heartburn I have came from reyataz..I have to see if others in the group experienced
acid reflux from the change..................oh well...........we shall see.
If I were you I would change the Kaletra to zey
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline ubotts

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 05:27:40 am »
oops..got cut off in the middle of my post.

I was saying if I were you Id stay on Reyataz...I just started it and the noviar with truvada as well..

Everything seems ok..Never did turn yellow :),

When I was on Kaletra, thats when I had the worst nightmares, and I see your totallly
opposite to me in that catagory..................

I guess everyone body is different even though we might take the same meds, it doesnt
mean will have the same outcome..

Now back to my damn acid reflux..
I have had this condition for years, but when put on reyataz, I beleive it worsened my
heartburn.

Has this happen to anyone else?

By this tread, I see no one say they had acid reflux problems..

So I asking if anyone else has any problems like myself...I doubt its the noviar.
but cha never know??? 
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 06:38:31 am »
Hi Daniel.  I was on Reyataz most of last year.  I had switched to Reyataz from Kaletra and took Truvada along with both of those PIs.  My doctor and I decided to switch back to Kaletra now as I had minor problems with kidney "crystals/stones" and didn't want to graduate to major problems.  I seemed to feel better or at least different with Reyataz so I was in some way sorry to have to drop it.  I had previous problems with kidney stones when I used to be on Crixivan, so it's just possible that I am susceptible to that problem.  I hope things go well for you.  David

Thanks David,

Sorry for the delayed reply. As you might guess, I'm not on this site very often.

I had blood taken about a week ago, and I'm still waiting for the results of those tests. I feel no different from when I was on Kaletra, so I just hope my CD4/VL numbers will be as good.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.