Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:58:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bactrim question.  (Read 6152 times)

Offline St Ives

Bactrim question.
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:38 am »
I've deleted my honest question as no one could be bothered to answer it.
I guess nobody out there takes Bactrim.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:17:28 pm by St Ives »
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Offline St Ives

Re: Bactrim question.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:23:29 am »
Deleted..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:18:14 pm by St Ives »

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:40:12 pm »
I am in the same situation as you are...I am taking Bactrim also, we have some same arrange of CD4 counts as you do...btw I was waiting for other to answer your question LOL
The doctor who treated my fungal OIS asked me to stay on Bactrim 160mg per day,he said it is with few side effect and it protect you when CD counts still low...
Another ID doc did mention when you CD4 counts up to more than 100, you can stop taking it..I did found a research online about Bactrim did not contribute more benifits when your CD4 counts go above 100...another reserch also mentioned,Bactrim actually possibly supress bone marrow which cause slow responds on CD4 counts...
I know it sounds too much information above ,personally I suggest you stay on it 160mg per day as I am...talk to your doctor next check up time if you cant reach him now.
Stay well!
Chris

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:50:47 pm »
What was your question?  How long had it been since you posted it and deleting it?  It sometimes takes a while to get an answer.  Not everyone who reads the question has the knowledge to answer. 

Offline St Ives

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:28:04 am »
I simply asked if I should reduce my dosage of bactrim from 160mg to 80mg as my new doctor suggested.
Posdudesh had the courtesy to reply and I am grateful. Many thanks and sorry for the hissy fit.
Be well all.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:54:34 am »
I want to point out that I am not one of the more educated folks on this.  When I was put on Bactrim, it was my understanding that the regular strength of 80 mgs should be taken daily.  When taking Bactrim DS (double dose), then most prescribe to take it every other day.  Although, I was actually prescribed to take the extra-strength daily, as I am looking at the pill bottle. 

If you're taking it daily, then you are probably taking the regular strength at 80 mgs.  Again, please check with someone else.  I am just relaying what I was told, when I was on it.  Also, Dr. Ben Young at The Body answers questions about medications, if no one comes along to answer.  This forum has been unusually quite lately.  Trust me, normally you would have great answers right away.  There are many knowledgable folks here.  Don't take offense.  The knowledgeable folks just haven't read your question, I'm sure. 

Modified:

Since there are two drugs in Bactrim, I should have said 400-80 or 800-160. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:01:59 am by tednlou2 »

Offline St Ives

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:00:34 am »
Noted; and thank you.

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:54:21 am »
For me is more like a mental issue, less pills means I am getting healthier..maybe?!?...I know the guildline of using medication to treat or prevent illness is bascially about the dosage and timing ...sometimes its hard to draw the line ...the guildline is telling us better stay on the full dosage till CD4 counts stablizing above 200 over 3months...one doctor said to myself as my CD4 counts reached 90,not much different from 100 and I feel 100% normal I COULD CONSIDER stop taking it...of course other people did tell me ,oh no ,you need to be careful when you counts is still low...and then I came cross this TOP STORY of the research online...oh yes ,better stop taking it ..not much more benifits and its suppress CD4 counts recovery...then you trying to search more information ...came back "fatal side effect" of Bactrim..oh geee
Sorry St , I  know I am not helping here,I think its good for myself to let it out  ;D
Of course ,to all the folks have more knowlege on this ...thanks for sharing more information LOL

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:13 am »
I took Bactrim DS for 6 years until my CD4 level stayed above 200 for over 3 months straight. I was never put on a lesser strength.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:01 am »
bactrim is used to treat and then as a propyhlaxis against PCP. a DS (double strength) tablet is taken once a day until 3 months after a patient has gone and stayed above 200 tcells.

stopping the med with counts above 100 is NOT the recommended procedure with this medication. Anytime your counts are <200, that is an AIDS defining condition. Extreme caution should be taken to avoid any and all diseases and proper prophylaxis should be used. Whether you "feel good" or not has no bearing on how damaged your immune system is. ;)

http://hab.hrsa.gov/deliverhivaidscare/clinicalguide11/cg-306_oi_prophylaxis.html
Primary Prophylaxis: Indications
Prophylaxis should be administered to all HIV-infected patients with a CD4 count of <200 cells/µL or a history of oral thrush. PCP prophylaxis may be indicated for patients with CD4 counts of >200 cells/µL in the presence of a CD4 percentage <14%, or a history of an AIDS-defining illness.
For patients whose CD4 counts are declining toward 200 cells/µL, the CD4 count should be monitored closely. PCP prophylaxis should be considered for patients with a CD4 count of 200-250 cells/µL if laboratory monitoring will not be possible within 3 months.

Prophylaxis Options: Recommended Regimens
Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) (also known as cotrimoxazole, Bactrim, and Septra) one double-strength tablet PO once daily
(Note: This regimen also is effective in preventing toxoplasmosis.)
TMP-SMX one single-strength tablet PO once daily (this lower-dose regimen may be better tolerated) (Note: This also is likely to be effective in preventing toxoplasmosis.)
Warning: Many patients have adverse reactions to sulfa medications. Severe reactions may include persistent neutropenia, rash (including severe erythroderma), and Stevens-Johnson syndrome (bullae and desquamation of the skin). For patients with milder reactions, chemoprophylaxis with TMP-SMX should be continued if clinically possible. Some patients with a history of serious adverse reaction may undergo desensitization, but this must be done cautiously and it requires diligence from the patient and careful management by the provider (see chapter Sulfa Desensitization).

Prophylaxis Options: Alternative Regimens
Other options for prophylaxis include the following:

TMP-SMX one double-strength tablet TIW
(e.g., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) (Note: This regimen also is likely to be effective in preventing toxoplasmosis.)

I took bactrim for 10 yrs after having been hospitalized twice with PCP. Because of a slight sulfa allergy, I took one DS TIW (mon, wed, fri) and stayed a little red and a lot itchy - but didn't go back into the hospital and didn't die of PCP. Since I had had such low numbers for soooo many years (a decade) I continued with the bactrim until I had stayed above 250 for 6 months.

more information is always available in the package insert for bactrim
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2010/017377s067lbl.pdf
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:14 am »
thanks leatherman,guess it will be a long way to go ..we will bear in mind ;D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:54 am »
For me is more like a mental issue, less pills means I am getting healthier..maybe?!?.
you will need to work on making some mental adjustments from thinking that way. ;) :D

Being HIV positive means once you start meds you'll be on meds from then on out. Well, at least until they cure the dang thing. LOL The meds are your friends! Enjoy them, let them do their work, and quit equating fewer pills to being healthier. Just remember all sorts of people take all sorts of daily meds for all sorts of reasons. You are no different that almost everyone else who is able to stay alive, healthier and happier thanks to modern medical science.

just stay on that Bactrim for all long as necessary. Trust me! You do NOT want to end up in a hospital with PCP. It's scary; it's painful; and for a lot of people, it's quite deadly. eek! :o

Hang in there and give it time. Recovery (from all sorts of things) often just takes a while.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:21 pm »
St Ives,
I took Bactrim DS everyday for 2 years.  When I went to my 3 month visit to doc. in January he lowered it to regular Bactrim. :)  Not sure what the mg. count is my bottle doesn't tell me.  My doctor doesn't change my pills unless he talks to me first.

Since my CD4 is very, slowly, like a turtle creeping up, my doc. says I have to stay on Bactrim until I hit at least 250-300 or above for 6 months. (Depends on when I hit it).

Also one of the reasons he's keeping me on Bactrim longer is because I have a cat, and that means I clean cat poop, so I have a risk of that toxo kitty thingy.  Yes guys I use gloves when I clean the cat pan.

@Pozdudesh--Leatherman is right, you can feel good and have a bad immune system.  I feel fairly good and my immune system sucks.

I have heard like you heard that Bactrim  can be an immune suppressor, but I have also heard the same about the Zithromax that I've taken for almost 2 years also.  I would rather have my immune system suppressed by those two pills, well 3, my birth control also suppresses my system, then the alternative.

Michelle 8)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:37 am »
Thanks all ur posts, I have been a good boy.. Popped up all the pills of the day before the gym...
Happy Valentine's Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.