Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 375
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Life in the Donut Hole  (Read 19435 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Life in the Donut Hole
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:16:13 pm »
Before February was half over, I had already hit the dreaded "donut hole" (coverage gap) with Blue Cross, my part D provider. 

During the gap, generics are covered.....so I am thankful for that.   But what about the other stuff?   I first learned I had slipped into the gap by attempting to fill a Rx for Pancrease MT 10.....and they said "that will be $287.00."   After I got up off the floor, I told them to just put it back.

BAO (Birmingham AIDS Outreach) is offering to help with our non-covered meds during the gap, so I will find out tomorrow if they are going to come through for me.   More hoops (and placed a higher distance from the ground) to jump through, of course....

The joys of being "in the system"..... :'(

Sorry to sound so glum, but it is depressing, as well as frustrating.  You folks who have insurance coverage through your employers, HANG ONTO IT with both hands and both feet!

Hopefully tomorrow I can report that I have been able to obtain both my Pancrease and my Flomax at the clinic pharmacy.  Wish me luck

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Life in the Donut Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:44:53 pm »
Hey Alan,

I hope the folks from the Birmingham AIDS Outreach are able to help. I often wonder what idiot came up with the Medicare Part D idea.

May the person who did have to use it. >:(

Hang in there hon.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:49:17 pm »
The donut hole is covered by ADAP in Pennsylvania, this is not a federal issue but a state one as far as I've been told.

Alan, this is now the 3rd year of Medicare Pt. D.  Why are you only now encountering this anyway?  Did it not happen in previous years?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:03 pm »
Actually, it is a federal issue because it was the feds who first came up with the insane idea to begin with.

In New Mexico, which is a very rural state, there are many areas where Part D plans don't cover the donut hole. So, the state created what it called the Medicare carveout which actually takes the place of Medicare Part D and is managed by the state medical insurance pool.

Works pretty well.

Some states, though, have little or nothing to take up the slack created by those daft fools inside the beltway.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
Actually, it is a federal issue because it was the feds who first came up with the insane idea to begin with.

Don't cherry pick my comments, sweetness.  I was speaking to using ADAP for the donut hole, not the Med Pt. D program itself.  If the state you live in is being cheap then grab your activist placards and organize a march, or you could always move.  The feds do not mandate to the states that they can or cannot use Ryan White funds in this manner.

You're not getting what I'm saying -- each state can make the decision to use Ryan White funds as the 2nd payer, for co-pays and the donut hole.  That's what Pennsylvania does.  I would assume New York does as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:16:54 pm by philly267 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:55 pm »
I have Indiana Medicaid and one of the benefits is that I don't have to experience that donut hole.  This is the first year I've had co-pays, however.

Alan honey, good luck with all that.  I second what Philly says about letting your voice be heard.  Please let us know what happens. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »
in 2006, I was still covered by a private plan (State of GA), premiums paid by Ryan White funds through GA Dept of Human Resources.

last year, our Alabama MEDCAP program (pays for part D premiums and copays on ADAP formulary meds) had us sign up for Sierra RX.   That plan had no donut hole.
They did have a lot of $30 and $60 copays.  Premiums were high too, about $130 a month I think.

this year, MEDCAP had us all switch to Blue RX, so this is my first time experiencing the donut hole.    Caseworkers have been vague, as to the use of Ryan White funds for assisting during the gap period....but at least BAO is willing to help.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:31:08 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:17 am »
Hey Alan,

People are required to sign up for Part D plans here, unless they live in an area where there is a doughnut hole that isn't covered.

That's how it is in my area of the state and why some opt for the medical insurance pool.

But, each state is different. Here, we are sparsely populated and have a relatively low level of HIV infections. That also translates to less money from the feds.

Gratefully, the state takes up the slack.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:10:20 am »
I hope it works out Alan.  I know first hand how these issues can drive up one's anxiety issues.  I had a bit of managerial errors in my switch over this year, but it all worked out in the end.

Offline ademas

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 02:18:15 pm »
I do hope it gets worked out, Alan, and that you can get some assistance with the donut hole ($$).

My Part D nightmare continues.  I was required to sign up in Mar' '06, but never was able to get it working.  Medco (the PDP) said I was registered but not yet confirmed by Medicare, while Medicare would tell me they had no record of any attempts by Medco to register me in a PDP.  In the end, the State of WA Health Insurance Pool agreed to take me back under their old pre-part D plan, as they were also unable to resolve the registration issues with Medco (the PDP) and Medicare.

Last week I got hit with a $423 bill for Part D premiums from 2006 on a plan that I was told I wasn't enrolled in, and that I never was able to get my prescription's through. 

Thank god I keep good records.

I had to register for a PDP again as of 01/01/08.  Registration seems to have gone smooth this time around, but I've yet to test it by filling a prescription.  I have a 4k arthritis injectable in the pipeline now, so we shall see...

Good luck to all of us.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »
 After I got up off the floor, I told them to just put it back.

I am not a LTS, so forgive the intrusion for the posting - but I see this sad scene played out almost every single time I venture into the CVS these days.  In this, the wealthiest country in the world, people are having to walk off and leave seriously needed medications sitting on the counter.  It is completely inhumane and speaks volumes about our priorities as a nation.  The healthcare situation in this country is an atrocity, and nothing short of a source of shame for us.

Oh, yes - save our citizens from bombs raining from the sky, but if they curl up and die from lack of proper medical attention...well, that's ok.

I am so sorry, Alan.  Hoping for the best for you - as always, love.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:33:32 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 07:16:29 pm »
Today, at the clinic pharmacy, I was able to pick up the two drugs in question, Pancrease and Flomax.    So I did the appropriate hoop jumping, I suppose.   One slight problem was that I needed the pancrease about two weeks ago, and have been doing without it....

Thanks everyone for the support and info.   I'm in this (and have been in this) for the long haul, so let's hope and pray it gets better rather than worse !

hugs,

Alan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:07 pm »
So glad you got the meds you needed.  I think most of us are becoming experts at hoop-jumping.  We are social workers in our own right.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:47 pm »
It's also another reason to always build up those "buffer zones" of excess meds, but then we all know here that I'm the queen of that.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:05 am »
Alan, I totally feel for you. The Donut hole is the most frustrating, depressing place to be. FUCK THAT HOLE! It's so damn unfair and ridiculous.

I hope it all works out man. I would ask you Dr's for samples when ever possible. Every little bit helps.

Best of luck my friend. I feel your pain!
Positive since 1985

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »
The State of Alabama strikes again....

they had a contract with "Partners in Care" to provide our HIV meds.   When those Rx's were filled, they were counted against our Medicare Part D expenses....now that they counted those expensive drugs (for Jan and Feb) towards my total outlay, they now say they have ended the contract, and ADAP will provide our meds.   The meds they provide will NOT be counted towards our total out-of pocket.   In other words, they used to cost of the meds to get me INTO the donut hole, but won't use them to get me out.

They are basically shifting the burden onto the ASO's and other social service organizations.   

What kind of fool politicians think that people with catastrophic illnness have thousands of dollars lying around to pay for expensive medications during the
donut hole period?

I alternate between being angry, bitter, and frightened.   Angry that this kind of shit is happening, while our country seems to focus its AIDS fund raising on Africa.   Bitter that I am on disability, and dependent on "the system" to keep me alive.    Frightened that it will fail me.

Long term survivor?  How long is too long?   I am blessed that right now my health is stable, and my counts are good.   I also know how quickly that can change.

:'(

Offline Texan38

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:16:13 pm »
Damn those donut holes!! Damn them to hell! Ok, that was my contribution to the frustation...on a lighter note....sending my support and comfort.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:39 pm »
Alan... you have my sympathy..fighting the system when you are sick and frustrated can be a super pain in the ass.  I really don't see how they can simply discount the amount already "charged to the hole" ..the govt agency that tracks this  ..the Medicare system?... must have a record of those items charged....otherwise how would anyone know you are in the hole????    I can see why they would want to stop the program...most agencies work on the low average system..when they get too many people tapping the system way above average it kills the budget...so they opt out.......think about the WalMarts that sell generics at $4.....at the same time they get all those $100 ones that aren't generic....so the average works out for them....only the largest providers can pull off the low average system......
i hope you support group....ASO?   can help you....just be persistent..as I am sure you have already discovered it pays off eventually but is a real pain in the mean time.

Hope to see you in Mexico..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 05:26:34 pm »
Man that is tough Alan. It's so emotionally draining to live by the whims of the government. Don't be afraid to ask if you come up short on anything. Maybe we can help.

Hal

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »
Alan, honey, I am so, so sorry.  Damn the government run Medicare Part D fucked up plans!!!  Like Hal said, if there's anything we can do, don't be afraid to ask sweetie. 
  Luv you,
Betty

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:16 pm »
ever since my late partner passed away my mom has tried to get me to move back to NC. My biggest reason for NOT making that move for these many years is that OH provides me just enough assistance. I have no idea what changing states would do; but I couldn't afford to take a hit, so I stay here in the frozen North and am greatful for the coverage I have.  ;)

I'm not certain if it's the Ryan White Fund or ADAP, but some agency pays my spenddown requirement so that I'm automatically issured a medical card each month. (that means no trouble if I need to see the doc today, and I get scripts filled at the local pharmacy) When the new Part D crap kicked in, I went from paying $0 a month to $14 a month (for the first 5 months of the yr) in co-pays. That's fine by me since there's no other way I could afford the $2,750 prescription bill a month!

Heaven only knows what hoops Jim and I will have to jump through to get him medical coverage now after his recent HIV and lymphoma diagnosis. Hopefully, Ohio will be good to him too.  ;)

I sure hope things get worked out better for you!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »
Well, for today it's O.Q.R.H. (Old Queen Raises Hell)

I am DEMANDING some answers from our ADAP representatives.   There is no way anyone can justify to me how it is fair that they use the cost of my HIV meds to throw me into the donut hole, but won't use them to pull me out.

In the proud tradition of Rosa Parks, I WILL go to Montgomery and show out if I need to.

Next in my sights:  Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama

Offline mjmel

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 06:43:15 am »

I am DEMANDING some answers from our ADAP representatives.   There is no way anyone can justify to me how it is fair that they use the cost of my HIV meds to throw me into the donut hole, but won't use them to pull me out.

In the proud tradition of Rosa Parks, I WILL go to Montgomery and show out if I need to.

YOU GO GIRL!
But you know what it's like going against bureaucratic BS. Just saying...don't get your panties all bunched up as you deal with those blank faces and well-rehearsed responses.
God forbid they would lose some of their precious positions during cutbacks so that funding is utilized for those whom it was intented!

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:29 am »
Alan, I'm proud of you for what you're about to do.  I've contacted people in government before regarding these kinds of things.  Some will listen and some will take action.  Mucho luck and let us know what happens.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:20 am »
Good luck Alan... and yes, Old Queens can raise some serious f*cking hell.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 10:09:37 am »

As phillicia would say...Fierceness is always welcome. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 10:26:54 am »
Alan... the one thing the bureaucracy cannot deal with is to have their rules read back to them when they are clearly wrong.....  when you "confront" them be ready with a good reasoned presentation about how the  original charges counted and now somehow don't count....if you are lucky a "rational" person will hear you and look into the situation  ...be sure to leave with names ..phone numbers...and "quotes" from persons .....so you can follow up the next day....Good luck

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 12:54:14 pm »
Guess I been lucky on this issue. I haven't had not one problem with Part D or a donut hole using the AARP MedicareRx Plan.

After two 90 day supplies of Lexiva and Truveda, the copays went from $5.35 to $0.

Last year alone, according to the EOB statement, $45,869.48 was paid for my prescriptions. :o

You don't have to be over 50 to join AARP's med plan approved for Medicare. ;D
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.