Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:19:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 533
Total: 534

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Coffee with Meds  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
My Coffee with Meds
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:16:54 pm »
 I'm a coffee lover and normally kickoff the day with a full breakfast and my beloved large mug full of coffee with milk. For years I've been taking my medications (whatever they were at the moment) and flushed them down with coffee. Obviously the ones that can be taken with food. I heard today at work a friend say that medications, whatever they are for, should NOT be taken with coffee because it may affect the medications chemistry and effect. Now I ask, am I doing harm swallowing my Aptivus + Norvir with my morning coffee??? I top this off with a shot of Fuzeon, by the way. So far I've remained "undetectable" with my coffee habit and meds... ???
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: My Coffee with Meds
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:46:02 pm »
In short, no, coffee OK
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »
My meds nurse actually suggested I swig my pills down with coffee.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:32 am »
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have taken my pills with whatever fluid is available. Coffee, tea, carrot juice, orange juice, water, soda, beer, you name it.

I wouldn't make a habit of taking my meds with some of the above, though. Probably not a good idea.

Water works best, for the most part. But taking them on time and regularly is probably the most important thing.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:48:20 pm »
Lol. Meds flushed down with a BEER! :D I couldn't help laughing when I read this, Mark. Thank goodness you say you wouldn't make a habit of taking meds with either of these fluids on your list! ;)
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 01:47:00 am »
wow I never heard this about coffee. I have used Beer, wine, and coffee before. I'm sure this is all wrong. But let my Doctor take these meds everyday for years and see how well he does  :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 05:41:57 pm »
I've got one med that has to be taken with Pepsi.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:08 am »
I'm a coffee lover and normally kickoff the day with a full breakfast and my beloved large mug full of coffee with milk. For years I've been taking my medications (whatever they were at the moment) and flushed them down with coffee. Obviously the ones that can be taken with food. I heard today at work a friend say that medications, whatever they are for, should NOT be taken with coffee because it may affect the medications chemistry and effect. Now I ask, am I doing harm swallowing my Aptivus + Norvir with my morning coffee??? I top this off with a shot of Fuzeon, by the way. So far I've remained "undetectable" with my coffee habit and meds... ???

I'm like you, "I love my Coffee", with my MEDS and Top it off w/ FUZEON, but I drink 1/2 cafe tho, the Caffeen in the REG Coffee, kept me up at night,, My doctor said, that whatever you take your meds w/ what's important is the fact that you do get them down.so whatever works is good!
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:39:42 am »
  Only my first dose of meds is taken with café. I take my evening dose (8:00pm) with milk and chocolate chip cookies most of the time. Another favorite of mine!  ;D
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline Speedmotion

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:50:56 pm »
I usually drinik orange juice with mine.
After searcing, i came across this on The.body.com:

cut out the coffee
Apr 19, 1999

I started Norvir liquid 6 months ago, adding it to a triple therapy with Saquinavir. After starting the Norvir I started going to the toilet twice a day with very loose bowel movements. It wasn't bad enough to stop the medicine but it wasn't nice to live with either.

On the advice of a book I had read about Diet and HIV, I decided to stop drinking coffee. I was in the habit of drinking 2 cups of black coffee in the morning and 1 cup in the afternoon.

When I stopped the coffee, the diarrhea stopped immediately... everything is back to normal. What a relief ! If one of your readers is in a similar situation, they might also try to cut out the coffee.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well, thanks for the story. Of course some would rather have their coffee and suffer the later consequences... but it is helpful to have the option at least. Sadly, this likely won't be the answer for everyone, but it can be worth a try

I'll be riding my bicycle 180 miles in the Ride for AIDS 2008.
Donations can be made online
https://www.events.org/sponsorship.aspx?id=7685

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:14:05 pm »
Actually, a friend of mine who passed (from AIDS) told me the trick to not having the runs while drinking coffee is to drink a big glass of water with it.  I tried it, it works.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Brad

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:42:59 pm »
Like so many of you I take my meds with whatever is convenient.  Although water is what I take with my morning dose, diet coke is what washes it down in the evening.... ;)

Offline Roie

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:53:29 am »
I also take my meds with coffee, but its instant coffee. :-)
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »
I've been taking my meds, Norvir, Reyataz and Truvada with a Coke every morning.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.