Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:21:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 587
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Indigent care in USA  (Read 3180 times)

Offline midland moe

Indigent care in USA
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:32:11 am »
Hi this never occured to me but I read in another thread that people in the USA have the very real concern of not being able to have access to treatment. Since my diagnosis in April, I was sent to the public hospital in my city (after being treated for my OI's in the hospital I wandered into) and have been told that my state (Texas) offers free care to indigent patients. I havent had to pay one cent for doctor visits or medication and getting enrolled in the process was fairly easy...a couple short forms and some proof of income or lack thereof a meeting with a social worker and Ive been approved.

That being said, now my paranoid nature rears its ugly head....does funding for these programs change with political administrations? Bush has been pres for 8 years and at the end of his tenure I still got acess...can funding for my meds and treatment dry up or be withdrawn????

It would seem like such a cruel hoax to bring me back from deaths door, get me to undetectable viral load just to drop me like a bad habit, and leave me to my own devices to come up with the several thousand dollars a month it would take to get my atripla alone....
Diagnosed + 4/15/08               VL 570,000  cd4  85
started ATRIPLA 7/20/08         VL 301,757  cd4  45
8/22/08                                 VL       171  cd4  185
11/25/08    undetectable                           cd4  371

03/30/09    undetectable                           cd4  464
07/07/09    undetectable                           cd4  419
12/04/09    undetectable                           cd4  534
        cd4 % 20
04/09/10 undetectable                                cd4  667
         cd4%  22.1
07/16/10   undetectable                              cd4  573
         cd4%  23.8
03/25/11   undetectable                              cd4  655
         cd4%  29.4

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Indigent care in USA
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »
Midland, I wouldn't be too overwrought about things in the future. 

I believe access to treatment varies from state to state.  I would just try to keep up with the funding issues in your state.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:07:39 am »
Midland,

Funding can vary from year to year based on local/state/fed finances so nothing is certain but it sounds like things are covered for you for right now and that is the main point.

If the hospital/doctors haven't already suggested it you might try contacting Basin Assistance Services 432-580-0713.  They can provide you with a caseworker to help with drs & prescriptions.  And I'm sure there are others in the area that I don't know so ask the doctors.

Good luck and I know easier said than done but try not to worry too much.  Get your health back before you take on the goverment redtape.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:47:22 am »
midland moe, mine was all setup by the Hospital and Department of Health. When I was released from the Hospital it was all done and approved. I do have to go in once a year and update my files. 

Offline LittleOne

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
Hi Midland,

There is a wonderful AIDS support group back home (Midland) and Judy
Warren runs it at the big church (sorry I cannot remember the name) however,
I know Judy's email address if you need it please just email me at
toughyou@aol.com I'd be glad to give it to you...

I have not been back out there in years but there is a lot of good in going
to the support meetings, and there is more than just "free medications"
that particular community is high support on so many levels, and Judy
is a wonderful advocate for so many.

Peace,

LittleOne

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:33:29 am »
LittleOne -- this forum is intended for our HIV positive members.  Please keep posting in our "Someone I Care About Has HIV" forum, but avoid the other forums if possible (you can also post in our "Off Topic Forum").

Thanks!

Peter Staley
AIDSmeds.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.