Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:23:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 295
Total: 296

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AZT during pregnancy. and AZT in small children  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Nygurl225

AZT during pregnancy. and AZT in small children
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:38:46 pm »
As many of you may know I am currently expecting a baby in about 3 weeks. I'm taking trizivir which contains AZT. I've read up on the effects of AZT on the unborn child and it seems there are many mixed reviews. Some seem to be very hopeful and some are down right scary!!  I'm asking any mothers who have taken AZT while pregnant to let me know if they think the drug had a negative or positive effect on your child. I have heard everything from children dying from AZT, to having enlarged craniums, birth defects to being just fine. I guess I'm just looking for the input of real women who have delivered babies while being on AZT. What do you guys think are the positive and negative effects this drug had on your children?

Offline Blessed1974

• Time waits for no one so don't dream life live it!
Re: AZT during pregnancy. and AZT in small children
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:26:28 am »
Hey Nygurl,

Here I go with my 2 cents again, LOL  ;D  When I had my middle daughter (she's 13 now) the only thing available was AZT back then.  She is fine minus the whole teenage thing that's driving me crazy.  And my twins are 9 now and even they are well.  So from my personal experience with taking during pregnancy, delivery and giving it to my girls when they first came home I had no problems.  I know there are possible side effects as with everything but for the most part I feel very comfortable and have 3 beautiful little ladies that are evidence to that.

Dee

Offline Imasurvivor

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi there Ny

I took AZT with both my kids my son is now 9 and my daughter is 6(going on 16).  My son also took the liquid form for the first 6 weeks of his life along with Primasulf and/or Sulfatrim (antibiotics) my daughter had a one dose of something (can't remember what it was) and was also on the antibiotics.  They both tested negative at 18 months, and are doing excellent other than turning my hair grey and driving me up a wall sometimes.  I was warned that they were possiblities of side effects as with all meds but they weren't any.

All the best on your delivery and brand new baby.

Love and hugs
G
When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you. - African proverb

05/22/2008 CD4 908 % 31.1 VL<40

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:22:50 am »
Thanks for your input ladies. It's just hard because I tried to do some research since this is my first pregnancy being poz. Of course I want to do what is best for my child. After reading all kinds of articles there were a few that scared the hell outta me. I finally decided to stop reading papers and ask real people. So once again thank you, your input is very helpful.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.