Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:29:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 628
Total: 629

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible HIV risk?  (Read 6910 times)

Offline AnxiousParanoid

Possible HIV risk?
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:46 am »
Hello guys.

Some time ago I fooled around with two different chicks in a short span of time (a few days). Before you judge or advise me that this is risky behavior that should be avoided, I'll assure you this is not at all my usual MO. I'm not a very sexually active person, this was completely atypical.

So, on with the story.

With the first girl, I fingered her (quite deeply, if it makes a difference, and with several fingers) and shortly after that (maybe a few seconds? I can't say for sure) I "accidentally" touched my own penis while masturbating briefly.

When I realized the slip-up (I'm not sure if this is usually a route for infection, but I imagined "better safe than sorry"), I stopped touching myself immediately. That's all I did with this girl. I was so freaked out that I couldn't bring myself to do anything else. We kissed, she touched my penis a little bit, and that's it.

A few days later, I hooked up with a different girl. She attempted to perform unprotected oral sex on me (she actually did have her mouth around my penis for a brief instant, maybe a second or two), and I stopped her right away. As you can see I'm the extremely paranoid type.

That is all the sexual contact we had.

About three weeks after these encounters I got checked for everything. It all turned up clean, with the exception of a high white blood cell count. I've since read that this can be an early sign of HIV infection, so I've been going up the walls with anxiety.

I was already aware that a test being done so soon after contact wouldn't be worth much, but I decided to do it anyway. I guessed it would at least eliminate the possibility of other STDs, which are (as I understand) easier to catch.

For the last few weeks I've been watching out for the so-called "early HIV symptoms", like swollen lymph nodes and othe flu-like symptoms. I'm going in again for another blood test, even though I've heard that to get a definitive negative HIV result I'd have to wait six months from the moment of infection.

So here's my question: realistically speaking, could I have contracted HIV from the contact I described?

I hear receiving felatio isn't considered a real risk for HIV. What about touching a girl's genitals and then touching my own shortly after?

That is what concerns me the most right now. I seem to recall her vaginal fluids being mostly dry from my hand when I touched myself (as we all know the natural lubrication of the vagina dries up pretty quickly once exposed to the air), but I'm still nervous about this whole thing.

Am I worrying for no reason or are these random muscle pains I've been feeling in the last few days a reason for concern...?

Also, and I'm not sure if this can be atributed to me poking and proding them constantly, but I fear I may have some swollen/tender lymphnodes. Particularly, one on my forearm, one behind my leg -- close to the right buttock -- and one behing my left knee and one near my left wrist. A few days ago I thought the lymph nodes under my chin (the ones that line the jaw) were tender, too.

I'm not even sure if what I'm touching really is a lymphnode, to be honest. Or if it's even swollen. And I keep proding them so much after finding them, for all I know I could be irritating them.

So bottom line, these are my reasons to be worried:

- High white blood cell count 3 or so weeks after possible exposure;
- Possible swelling of lymph nodes.

As I said, I'm going again for tests at the 2 month mark (which is now), then the 3 month mark, and finally the 6 month mark. It's just that living with these "symptoms" and the constant worrying about them has reduce my life to abject misery. I have serious anxiety issues and this has been making my life hell.

I've gone to two doctors when I thought I had swollen/tender lymph nodes on my jawline, but they both said there was nothing abnormal. Now I think I have one behind my left ear. I'm on my way to request a new blood test so I'll ask the doctor to check that as well.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: I should also add I've had some episodes of diarrhea throughout the last 2 months, but it seems to only happen shortly after eating fast food so I'm tempted to disregard that "symptom".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:09:38 am by AnxiousParanoid »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Possible HIV risk?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »
Nothing that you described was a risk of HIV transmission.

Offline AnxiousParanoid

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:36:46 pm »
Hi RapidRod, thank you for your time and your reply. How can you be so sure that this is absolutely not a route for transmission? I don't recall any cuts or sores on my fingers, but I can't be 100% sure. What about hang nails?

What concerns me the most is touching myself after getting her vaginal secretions on my fingers, too...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are used consistently for those activities you will be well protected.

Nothing you are concerned about would have put you at risk for HIV. It's a fragile virus and is not passed in those ways that you are worrying about.

Period.
Andy Velez

Offline AnxiousParanoid

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:06 am »
The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are used consistently for those activities you will be well protected.

Nothing you are concerned about would have put you at risk for HIV. It's a fragile virus and is not passed in those ways that you are worrying about.

Period.

Thank you for your reply, Andy.

I'm just a very anxious person and the idea that the virus could've been passed to me this way has been driving me insane. I'll still get tested at 3 months (gotta wait 3 more weeks) just for my own peace of mind.

Incidentally, I went to the doctor (for a fitfh time about this issue I think), explained the whole story, and requested an HIV test. He flat out told me he wouldn't require one because I need to "break out of this paranoid cycle".

He wasn't rude or anything -- far from it, in fact. He may have been the kindest, most sympathetic doctor I've seen in the last two months, and I pretty much seen all of the local docs --, but he was adamant that what I require is psychological help, not a blood test looking for HIV antibodies...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:35 am »
I absolutely agree with your doctor. Under no circumstances is fingering, or touching vsgindl juices and then touching your penis an HIV risk.  HIV us simply too fragile and requires extremely soecjfic cells to latch onto. The only verified routes for sexual transmission are unprotected cagibsl and anal sex.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AnxiousParanoid

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »
I absolutely agree with your doctor. Under no circumstances is fingering, or touching vsgindl juices and then touching your penis an HIV risk.  HIV us simply too fragile and requires extremely soecjfic cells to latch onto. The only verified routes for sexual transmission are unprotected cagibsl and anal sex.

Thank you for your reply, jkinatl2. I'd still like to get tested, I know myself and I won't rest at ease until I see a negative result on an HIV test, unfortunately.

It's been 2 months and 13 days. The first time I got tested was roughly 3 weeks after contact. When would you recommend I get tested again?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:37 pm »
Thank you for your reply, jkinatl2. I'd still like to get tested, I know myself and I won't rest at ease until I see a negative result on an HIV test, unfortunately.

It's been 2 months and 13 days. The first time I got tested was roughly 3 weeks after contact. When would you recommend I get tested again?

Well, the snarky answer is: Any time for the non-risk that you encountered.

Had you had a legitimate risk, the current window period is three months.

And not to belabor a point, but if HIV was transmitted through fingering, strip clubs would be health hazards and HIV would be a predominantly heterosexual and lesbian disease in the US.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AnxiousParanoid

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »
Well, the snarky answer is: Any time for the non-risk that you encountered.

Had you had a legitimate risk, the current window period is three months.

And not to belabor a point, but if HIV was transmitted through fingering, strip clubs would be health hazards and HIV would be a predominantly heterosexual and lesbian disease in the US.

Thanks for your replies, jkinatl2. They definitely help me put my mind at ease.

Just to make something clear, I'm not worried that the virus would've gotten into my body through my fingers; I'm not THAT paranoid. My concern is the part when I touched my own genitals shortly after fingering this girl. And by "shortly" I mean "possibly seconds after".

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »
Yes, and even with that further clarification the answer is that you were not at risk. HIV is simply not passed in that manner.

You are worrying needlessly. Really.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.