Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:55:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 661
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Ann and Andy, need your wisdom!  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Jakester1775

Ann and Andy, need your wisdom!
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »
Hi Everybody, certified worry well here who desperately needs some advice. I have always been extremely careful in regards to sex, but last night something that's never happened, happened. I engaged in unprotected oral, both giving and receiving, with a man of unknown status. After the encounter, I went to the rest room to urinate and noticed the inside of the opening of my penis was very red, inflamed, and irritated. It was painful and possibly bleeding a bit. This morning I have what appears to be a puncture wound and small blemish in the area. So, basically I received oral sex with an open would on my penis, probably from him being a bit too rough. I know you guys state receiving oral is never a risk for HIV, but does an open wound/cut or even just inflammation and redness change that assessment? As for giving oral, I did brush my teeth before giving oral and my gums tend to bleed alittle, so now I am worried my gums might have still been a bit damaged. Does this increase my risk? He did not ejaculate in my mouth, but I am sure there was pre-cum exposure. Finally, we did a lot of deep kissing and rubbing, including me rubbing my penis around his anus. Is any of this a significant risk? We ended with my ejaculating on his face and mouth and his ejaculating on my body. We talked afterward and he admitted being very sexually active and engaging in some risky behavior. He assured me he was HIV negative but has been diagnosed and treated for STD's in the past. I am assuming he is a pretty high risk partner, therefore my anxiety level is through the roof. Thanks so much in advance, Jake.

Offline sorryass

Re: Ann and Andy, need your wisdom!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »
Jakester1775.

Don't know how this happened, but your profile came up when I signed in, in my User Box.  So, I clicked your name, it went to your profile, so out of curiosity, I clicked your last post.  Looks like it was addressed to Ann and andy.

Maybe it was just meant to be, but my 2 cents worth would be to go to the hospital explain the situation and they very well may start you on a prevention round of meds.  THEY WORK!  But you must do it ASAP.  Thats my 2 cents.

Go for it, all the best Bertram.
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
Sorryass, only authorized members of the forum are allowed to post in this forum.  Please read the introduction thread at the top of this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:58:42 pm »
Sorryass, never mind with your two cents. Please follow the rule of the site. Only those who are authorized to do so may respond to questions in this Forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:02:31 pm »
Hi Everybody, certified worry well here who desperately needs some advice. I have always been extremely careful in regards to sex, but last night something that's never happened, happened. I engaged in unprotected oral, both giving and receiving, with a man of unknown status. After the encounter, I went to the rest room to urinate and noticed the inside of the opening of my penis was very red, inflamed, and irritated. It was painful and possibly bleeding a bit. This morning I have what appears to be a puncture wound and small blemish in the area. So, basically I received oral sex with an open would on my penis, probably from him being a bit too rough. I know you guys state receiving oral is never a risk for HIV, but does an open wound/cut or even just inflammation and redness change that assessment? As for giving oral, I did brush my teeth before giving oral and my gums tend to bleed alittle, so now I am worried my gums might have still been a bit damaged. Does this increase my risk? He did not ejaculate in my mouth, but I am sure there was pre-cum exposure. Finally, we did a lot of deep kissing and rubbing, including me rubbing my penis around his anus. Is any of this a significant risk? We ended with my ejaculating on his face and mouth and his ejaculating on my body. We talked afterward and he admitted being very sexually active and engaging in some risky behavior. He assured me he was HIV negative but has been diagnosed and treated for STD's in the past. I am assuming he is a pretty high risk partner, therefore my anxiety level is through the roof. Thanks so much in advance, Jake.

Bottom line in this incident is you are worrying needlessly about HIV. Nothing you are reporting put you at risk.

Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV. As for receiving oral, which is one of the most common of sexual acts, in the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of transmission to a guy through his getting a blowjob. Not one and it's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first. Including with sores and whatever on your penis.

Rubbing a penis against an anus is not a risk. Risk is sexually is about unprotected insertive sex, anally and vaginally.

Again, nothing you are describing put you at risk nor is the any need for HIV testing.

Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Jakester1775

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for your advice, but smartass mentioned something about going to speak with a doctor. I apologize, but I am a bit confused by his answer and yours. I have no experience with HIV, so does my risk warrant talking to someone about PEP? Should I go to the ER immediately? I am still within the 72 hour window period, but its rapidly approaching its end. I am very worried about the giving and receiving oral sex, given the circumstances (penis inflammation/redness/possible open wound) and my gums. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I did speak with the guy and he was very cool about reassuring me that he was HIV free. He told me he is very sexually active, but only engages in oral sex. He even mentioned that he routinely swallows, but never felt worried himself. Also, that he has had STD's in the recent past, but took the doctor prescribed medications. I feel a bit better but just really confused by the answers. Thank-you guys again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »
How much clearly can I repeat that you absolutely did not have a risk for HIV transmission. NO RISK!

No you don't need to do PEP. Absolutely not. It's very unfortunate that Smartass stepped in to make a comment which he is not authorized to. One of the major reasons only authorized persons are to respond here is exactly this situation, where someone who doesn't have knowledge shoots his mouth off and ends up stirring up more unncessary fear in someone who's already worried. And worried without reason.

You can do PEP, you can get tested but both would be totally unnecessary. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Jakester1775

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:58:38 pm »
Andy, I apologize if my asking for clarification was in any way offensive. It definitely was not my intention to question your expertise, especially when I explicitly requested yours and Anne's advice. I just have a lot of anxiety and that first post didn't help. I think you clarified everything in your second post and the confusion is hopefully all cleared up on my end. If Ann has any further insight I'd love to hear from her. You guys are definitely the rockstar's of this forum and I think everyone takes to heart your advice. I will not seek PEP as it seems from reading other posts that the side effects out-weight the need in my case. Thanks for the comfort and support.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:17 am »
Jake,

If Andy was upset by anyone, he was upset by sorryass who posted incorrect information. When people do that, it just makes our job harder so it's very annoying. That's why only certain people are permitted to respond in this forum.

I agree with Andy that you did not have a risk for hiv infection. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPECIFICALLY TEST OVER YOUR RECENT CONCERNS, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jakester1775

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »
Andy and Ann, again I want to really thank you for the advice you have given. I truly appreciate the time you and all the others on this forum take out of your lives to help those of us who worry so much. I would also like to add Ann that I really enjoyed reading your explanation of HIV's survivability, once outside the body. That post really put into perspective how in my circumstance, and many others, the impossibility of infection actually taking place. Also, JK's pointing out that the infections on this site are from anal and vaginal intercourse and a needle sticks really shows where most of us do worry needlessly. Thank you all for being the voice of reason when we sometimes lose sight of it. Jake

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:43:34 am »
Jake,

You're welcome. Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse - and don't share drug injecting equipment - and you will be well protected against hiv and other STIs as well.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jakester1775

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:53:43 pm »
Andy and Ann, Sorry, but one last question if you dont mind. I spoke with my doctor about this incident and she was very helpful, basically agreeing with everything you guys said. She did however, recommend a full STD screening. She told me that other STD's are easily passed via oral sex whereas HIV is not. I know this is not an STD forum, but would the presence of an STD, either before the oral was given or if the person giving had an std and passed it to me, increase the risk of HIV infection or is oral sex still no risk. I would think if you are infected by something like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea then it would be almost certain HIV would transmit right? Or are they different? Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
Andy and Ann, Sorry, but one last question if you dont mind. I spoke with my doctor about this incident and she was very helpful, basically agreeing with everything you guys said. She did however, recommend a full STD screening. She told me that other STD's are easily passed via oral sex whereas HIV is not. I know this is not an STD forum, but would the presence of an STD, either before the oral was given or if the person giving had an std and passed it to me, increase the risk of HIV infection or is oral sex still no risk. I would think if you are infected by something like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea then it would be almost certain HIV would transmit right? Or are they different? Thanks

Chlamydia is NOT an HIV-specific illness. occurence if you happen to have it. Having an active STD such as gonorrhea would affect your immune system but would not mean that HIV transmission would be a certainty if it is present in the other person. And yes, other STDs can be passed through oral sex.

A full STD screening is a good idea to do regularly if you are sexually active. That means doing it at least once a year.

And as far as anything you have reported, you STILL did not have a risk for HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Jakester1775

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:09:59 pm »
Thanks Andy, it just seemed alittle nuts to me when she said receiving oral is safe, regardless of the presence of an std in either person.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:47 am »
Well receiving oral is safe in relation to HIV even if the person has another STD.

But other STDs can be passed through receiving oral.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.