Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:57:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be? My Green Tea?  (Read 9112 times)

Offline kcmetroman

Could this be? My Green Tea?
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:07:24 am »
I drink a lot of green tea.  Wish I would have ten years ago!

:'(

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/122/114877.htm

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
Re: Could this be? My Green Tea?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:14:58 am »
I have my iced diet arizona green in front of me now.  I heard about this back in late 90s and really went crazy,drinking green tea and african honey bush tea for about 6 months. I got a one month blip in numbers,that my dr. said had to be a mistake.

Offline randym431

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:16:10 am »
awww I dont know... This sounds like when they said eggs were bad for you, then said eggs were good for you. I remember that Woody Allen movie SLEEPER where in the future smoking and eating bad foods was good for you.

Who did this study, and do they own stock in green tea's?  hmmmmm
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:28:06 am »
i'm a big fan of all things herbal  8)

green tea with lemon is good...but even better, rooibos chai (rooibos spiced up with cinammon, cloves etc - think christmas in a mug) or honeybush tea.  In south africa, they give cooled rooibos to babies with colic - and i have to say, when my tummy's playing up, it does help.

i make home-made mint tea, with mint from the garden too...very refreshing.

happy drinking...

kate

Offline someone somewhere

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:19:25 am »
Love Green Tea with lemon hot or cold. I drink tons of it in the afternoon.Also like mint a lot too.

I have heard Green Tea is supposed to be really good for your teeth too.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:38:05 am »
I think just about any tea is actually good for you except that canned crap they sell at 7/11.  I brew lots of fresh tea at home that I use lemon and mint with it.  Much better for you than soda and probably has some health benefits....
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:40:58 am »
Diet green tea is my drink of choice. Mainly because I like the taste and I can avoid the sugar of regular sweet tea or soft drinks.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 11:58:11 am »
There's probably a big difference between the green tea I drink (those cold, highly processed, high sugar content green tea products) and the real green tea.

I take these studies with a grain of salt.  Everything blocks HIV in the test tube.  I'm sure if they put urine in a test tube it would block/kill HIV, but I'm not about to start drinking urine.

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:44:13 pm »
I've heard that green tea can block Hiv...but green tea has a lot of other benefits as well.....excellent source of anitoxident....and a good memory booster for those who have bad memories.  I drink Green Tea fairly often and sometimes I suspect that it's keeping me away from the meds for now. I remember I stopped drinking Green Tea for 3 months after I got my lab results, and to my surprise, my VL went up from 20,000 to almost over 50,000...my cd4 went from 450 to 290....though my cd% remained in the same range from 30% to 28%.  I started drinking Green Tea again and my numbers are lurking around in the 30,000 to 40,000 VL, cd4 never went back to the 400s...but it's in the 300 range....cd% went back to the 30s.  This is just purely my observation for myself, i'm sure it's different for everyone.  Then again, it could be something else that is affecting the change of the numbers because I only did it once. 

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Markmt

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:05:32 pm »
All round tea toddler here,milk or lemon ...that includes an occasional cup of green.
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline whizzer

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:19 pm »
While I am a lover and big drinker of green tea, as I read the article, you would have to INJECT your green tea - and plenty of it -to get the same results that they did.

Just be sure not to share the needles if you decide to try it.

Offline Jacques

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:56:19 am »
I remember having read about a Japanese research held in 1989.  They gave high doses of Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) (the active component of green tea) to Hiv+ patients. They observed a significant but small increase of CD4s (less than 100 if my memory is good). To obtain the same results we would  probably need to take a cup of green tea every hour. Indeed, green tea seems to have a protective action from Hiv but I guess it has to be considered as mild.

Nevertheless, greentea is known to be a strong antioxidant, protective against certain cancers and a memory helper. Well this is certainly a plus.

Personally, as I'm more incline to go for a cup of coffee rather than tea, I take green tea extract capsules every day. Well, my lab tests keep fairly good  but is it the effect of  tea or meds ... or perhaps the synergy of the two. ::)

Jacques

Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 02:52:45 am »
barph. Green tea is so last Century  ::)
You should be drinking white tea for maximum benefit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tea.

and Cliff, drinking urine ain't all that bad  :o, get your minds out of the gutter for a minute but I did resort to drinking my own for a while as a last ditched attempt to get some relief from my meniere's. it's nice and warm when fresh and if you drink lots of water before you go to bed the first glass in the morning has a fairly innocuous taste  ;D
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 06:22:36 am »
I've only recently began drinking green tea (organic), basically to lower my LDL cholesterol levels.

If there happen to be immune system benefits, all the better, but that's not why I drink it.

Someone warned me that it would taste disgusting, but not so. I don't take sugar in tea or coffee. Now that's vlie. :P LOL

"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one." (Ancient Chinese Proverb)
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline rocket

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 06:32:59 pm »
I drink loads of tea,but mostly the sugary kind,Just bought a case of the green arizona tea at costcos.I also bought the green tea pills at a health food store but dont take them every day,my favorite one is q10 enzyme which is good if you take a statin like lipotor.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 09:45:23 pm »
The best way to brew any kind of tea is by making sun/Indian tea. Take a large glass jar, fill it with water put your tea bags or loose wrapped tea in the jar, cover it and set it outside in the sun to brew. It will depend on how strong you want it to taste as to how long it will take. (maybe an hour) I bring my tea in according to the color.

This is truly the smoothest and best tasting tea ever.  ::)

Terry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:49:47 pm by Terry »

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 05:53:10 pm »
KC, thanks to you I am back on green tea, and waking up every two hours to piss.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 09:33:07 pm »
I get confused when these reports come out. Logic would dictate that people in countries that consume large amounts of green tea would have no cases of HIV. At least it is better than  coke or green apple martinis... well maybe not the martinis
Cheers
Johnny- where are those drink icons?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.