Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:44:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 627
Total: 628

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bonnie, my cat, died the other day.  (Read 6182 times)

Offline BB

Bonnie, my cat, died the other day.
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:32:40 pm »
But the real trip was the shenanigans of the hospital. I found Bonnie unable to stand, her left side was useless, her neck was bent and her head was turned to the right. Also her right eye was about twice the normal size.

The only place I could take her that late in the day was an emergency (24 hour) animal hospital.

Not to get to deep into everything because I'll just get mad again this pet hospital must see dollar signs when anyone walks through their door. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They tried to convince me to let them keep Bonnie for several days, ($$ kaching $$) so they could rehydrate her, make sure her potassium was ok, ( I've been giving her potassium supplements and one month ago my regular vet checked her potassium level which was fine) and deal with an inner ear infection. Kaching $$$$$$$$$$$$$

The real kicker came when I asked about Bonnie's bulging eye and limp left side. Oh, they said, Bonnie definitely has neurological damage. We can't do anything about that, but we can make her feel better so you both can say good by and maybe spend some extra time together. Kaching$$$$$$$$$$$

So, I asked again, will she be cured or will we still be looking at lethal injection after spending five days here at the emergency animal hospital? Kaching$$$$$$

After some unintelligible babble from the technician cause I was starting to loose it and really couldn't hear anything. I managed to growl out through tears and anger, "Please give her a sedative to make her sleep and then give her a lethal injection now."

The bill still came to $150 to stop her suffering and end her life.

I saw this same attitude when my dad died from lung cancer. The doctors suspected dad had a brain tumor which was the source of his cancer. They wanted to test for and maybe operate to remove the tumor, if one was found. Later a nurse told me they were only trying to run up the bill the insurance had to pay. My dad was still going to die from lung cancer regardless of the brain tumor.

Why do the hospitals do this? What is the point? Why let an animal suffer for five days before ending her life anyway or keep my dad in a drug induced coma the last five days of his life only to watch his breathing slow and finally stop.

I don't understand and can only hope I have the opportunity and strength to take my own life when the inevitable end is near.

Bill
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Bonnie, my cat, died the other day.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:26:29 pm »
That's an sad story and an infuriating one, Bill.

Hope things are better today.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline BB

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 05:51:37 pm »
:'( When I would come home I'd make a sort of short warbling sound and Bonnie would answer from one of the other rooms with the same sound. Sometimes I'd wait for her to make the first sound then I'd answer back. Animals/pets can be such a surprise.  :'(
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:47:52 pm »
When I would come home I'd make a sort of short warbling sound and Bonnie would answer from one of the other rooms with the same sound. Sometimes I'd wait for her to make the first sound then I'd answer back. Animals/pets can be such a surprise. 

that is cute. those little things stand out, but the big thing is the LOVE baby. the LOVE.

(i have 2 cats, my aunt and uncle have 3 downstairs)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 06:00:37 am »
Bill,

Poor Bonny, poor you. There was no need to put either of you through that. I lost my most beloved cat ever four years ago in similar circumstances and it still hurts to think about it.

(((((Bill)))))

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:01 am »
Gosh Bill, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
I know your heart must be breaking. Please accept my heartfelt sympathies. You did the right thing.
You will be in my thoughts today. :'(
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:33:13 am »
I lost my 17-year-old Agatha last year when her kidneys failed. The vet, gratefully, was very nice and caring - only charging me $60 to put her to sleep.

I am sorry this happened to you.

(((((HUGS)))))

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Markmt

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 08:42:03 am »
Sorry to read of your loss Bill, and the way it ended!, its all very sad. I hope you will be able to cherrish the good moments you had together...,

take care,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:34:10 pm »
Bill, so sorry to hear about your cat.  I know doctor but it sounds like she may have been having a seizure.  When our lab Jake had a tumor last year it seems like our vet winning give us a straight answer about proceeding with surgery but in a roundabout way she finally said that if it was her own dog she probably wouldn't go forward with surgery.  As for emergency centers for animals I agree 100% that it's all about the money and not about the animal or the customer.  As a young puppy under six months old our dog Jodi Snapped the phone in her leg jumping from the stairs and theMedVet wouldn't even begin treatment until we put down half of the $1500 cost as a deposit.  She's our baby something goodness we had a credit card with available credit.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.