Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:43:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773469
  • Total Topics: 66369
  • Online Today: 350
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 267
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Meth Kills — And Evidence Points to Its Upswing in NYC  (Read 2879 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Meth Kills — And Evidence Points to Its Upswing in NYC
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:51:58 am »
As a recovering Crystal Meth Addict, news like this peaks my interest and sadden me to know that the Drug War is on the rise in NYC.  I have heard recently of two people who died from meth.  I believe they were both African American and may have overdoes on this dangerous drug.  Meth is the Pandora's box that offers no hope for it suck you in and destroys your life.  The only thing I can say positive about meth is that when I hit bottom, I sought help, found it in AA, CMA (Crystal Meth Anonymous) and out patient recovery at Center Recovery at the LGBT Center in NYC.  Now I do not drink alcohol, do poppers or any "Recreational Drug" (I find that name ridiculous) But I fear for those who are in the grips of this disease, are still sick and suffering and have not hit bottom yet. There is hope.  There is a way out.  But one must seek it.

http://gaycitynews.nyc/meth-kills-evidence-points-upswing-nyc/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:54:48 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: Meth Kills — And Evidence Points to Its Upswing in NYC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:57 am »
Another point I would like to add is that the rise in HIV infection is directly related to Meth use.  When an addict is under the influence of this drug, condoms goes out the window and raw sex is the rage.  In addition, if the find out they turned poz, then they really dive into their sexual addiction and do not take care of themselves.  A vicious cycle of drugs, sex and infections, oh my.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »
Meth is a scourge indeed. I never was an addict thank god but I knew tons of people who were and still are. I dabbled in it here and there, never craved it or anything, but if it was around and "friends" were using, then I'd partake. Usually it was at hookups or sex parties, so there's definitely a big connection there. I didn't get hiv from a meth hookup, although I'm sure many do. I got a false sense of security when I'd use, as I'm sure many do. I'd only use once in awhile, and then have no problems, so I'd tell myself it's fine to keep doing it every now & then.

Then one day I met a guy (another hookup) and he wanted to party & play. I never shot up, I always smoked or snorted it. I went over, we smoked, and played, etc etc. I don't know if he had like a highly potent concentrated version or whatever but I didn't think I smoked any more than usual but at any rate I got higher than I ever gotten, and was almost tripping. I left his place and went to the bar and stayed there all night had like two pitchers of beer, I was a mess. By the next morning, when I'd usually come down in the past, I wasn't coming down at all. I just wasn't. My body was going crazy, I knew I was in trouble. I should have gone to the ER, but I toughed it out. I got really scared because I started feeling faint and like I was passing out but it was a strange feeling not like a normal passing out feeling. I thought I was dying. Luckily by the afternoon I came down, but I still was horribly wired for a couple more days. By day 3, I went to the ER. They said I was ok, thank god, but it scared me so bad, I told myself, NO MORE. And I am happy to say that since June 9,2009, I have been clean! No more dabbling. And I simply refuse to be around it in any way, I learned that people who use, even small amounts, are just not people I can be around because I remember my awful near-overdose experience and just refuse to be around anyone who uses even if they don't use around me.

Anyway, as someone who used to do it on occasion, it's a highly dangerous drug, and not to be trifled with. I hope everyone out there who uses now will be able to find a way to get off of it but sadly it's so pervasive.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
I wouldn't have aids if I never did meth. I was hooked for a little more than 5 years. after the first or second try I was hooked. I would use every day I was awake, I would say up for around 4 days and sleep 24 hours straight, I stayed up for 21 days straight before, lost all my teeth to it and tons of money. I could have bought a house with how much I spent on the drug. and it took me years of not wanting to do the drug to finally be able to stop. been clean for almost 6 years now thank god. I would never touch the stuff again its grip is so strong it dosnt matter if you want to do it or not when your hooked you will use. I had plenty of friends die because of meth, none because of overdose but because of suicide. the shit makes you crazy and when you want to stop and cant and the depression it gives you makes people kill themselves. also a lot of people tried to get off meth by switching to heroin and shortly after died from that drug too. many very young friends are in the ground now and familys have to deal with the aftermath
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.