Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A little Hippie news  (Read 3100 times)

Offline HippieLady

A little Hippie news
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:45:33 pm »
Hi Everyone...

I've been so quiet on here lately, it's just been a crazy summer and I've been trying to keep the kids busy.  They are back in school now, they started yesterday and after two years of homeschooling it was tough to see them go.  Of course they were excited and are having the grandest of times, as they should be.

I had an appt this morning to go over all my latest labs, I thought I would share.  After a little over a year on medication my viral load is undetectable and my cd4 was 469.  At my last labs my cd4 was 509 so it dropped a tiny bit.  I forgot to ask her what my percentage was this time so I'm not going to bother looking up what it was last time.

My doctor said everything looked fine aside from my cholesterol being a little high.  Not high enough for medication but high enough that I need to switch to a lower fat diet.  That was tough to hear at my age, I am pretty healthy and I eat well for the most part.  Knowing that I have to cut back on the fat in my dairy is something I can live with but I am not too happy about it.  I have also convinced myself that pie with fruit in it has to be healthy and my doctor will have a hard time telling me otherwise.

Let's see what else...my son was supposed to be moving to Korea with his dad, who's in the Army.  But not unlike my ex, he didn't get all his paperwork done in time and my son will be coming here for a month or so until he can join his father.  I'm thrilled and anxious at the same time as this will be his first visit since my diagnosis.  I will not be telling him at this time, he's still young, only sixteen and I don't feel he's ready to know at this time.  He has so many other teenager stuff to worry about without having to worry about his mom.  I'm guess I'm just worried of him being nosey and finding out something before I'm prepared to tell him.

I'm sorry I won't be attending AMG this year.  I had so much fun last year and I was hoping to be able to connect more this time around.  I have a different trip scheduled for early October that I'm absolutely thrilled about and it just wasn't in the finances to do both.  Hopefully next year I will be able to attend.

-Hippie
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline HippieLady

Re: A little Hippie news
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
Sorry about the double post. It told me that it failed the first time...it's a good thing I checked after the second time or there would have been a third post.  :)
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »
Hey Missy,

Good news on the labs,  The tiny drop in your absolute count is meaningless.  The undectable VL is what's important.  Congrats.

High cholesterol is a pretty common thing for most of us on ART.  To be honest I don't think a diet change will be of much benefit, but give it a try.

As far as Seattle, I was so disappointed to hear you wouldn't be coming.  But we'll certainly raise a toast to you.

RAB

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
Hey Hippiegal!

Great hearing from you. You got some good labs there, keep it up.

LOL @ Pie with fruit in it  ;D

That's great about your son, I hope you have a swell time with him.

As far as Seattle, there is always next year's AMG so plan on that (you were such fun in Vegas!)

Take care
-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Hoover

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »
Welcome back!
Two years of home schooling?
You deserve a medal!!!! :D

To avoid your son accidental finding your pills and figuring out your situation, can you put them in a vitamin bottle for that month?
If you are easily confused, it might be best to just hide them well.
When we travel I use old non-hiv bottles to avoid any issues.

Yes it seems to be a med issue with the cholesterol for all of us.
My husband was reading me some new studies that say cholesterol is not as bad as once thought.
Sorry I don't have the link, but Mr. Google probably know is where it is.
Even with that study, he doubled my niacin as he didn't like the 143 cholesterol......
You just never know.

Cheers and enjoy a little freedom,
Hoover
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline mpositive

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi Hippie,

My Triglycerides went thru the roof when I started meds.  Since I did not have a family history, the doctor was confident of it being just the meds that caused it and put me on Lovaza.  Lovaza is fish oil, very pure form and very high dose.  But it is not a drug. My Triglycerides dropped like a rock...so I have been thrilled about it. 
I then stopped taking Prezista/Norvir and switched to Isentress, but, still stayed on Lovaza....more because i wanted to. It is a healthy part of my diet.  Ask your doctor about that.  It's paid for by insurance as opposed to buying Fish Oil supplements and is really great for you.
Keep up the great work!
Keep smiling!
M

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:36:40 pm »
A fruit pie can be healthy if it has a lot of fruit, and a lower fat crust. Also no trans fat in the crust!

My nutrition professor in college said Margarine is a horrible product, no matter what.  Never, ever, ever margarine. 

So a crust made with limited butter, or some hippy vegetable oil one you make yourself.  No trans fat. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

Hey Hippie  ,
                                     Have a great time with your son .

Were you like TEN years old when he was born  ;)

I hope to see you next  year  !   You sure  are a happy  MOM !

Your numbers sound good  .

Carl   :-*

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.