Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 344
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm Steve and I'm a Hot Spot...  (Read 3802 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
I'm Steve and I'm a Hot Spot...
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »
Using homeless people as hot spots for wireless connections:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/sxsw-homeless-hotspots_n_1342972.html

Words...fail...me
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I'm Steve and I'm a Hot Spot...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:32 pm »
I saw that on the news today and I don't see where its a problem . The people are doing an honest days work for much needed cash and 100% of the money generated goes directly into the pockets of the of those who choose to participate .

Am I missing something here that I may have overlooked that is exploitation ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »
Hmm, the potential radiation ?
A really useful hotspot device probably shouldn't be in your pocket.
I think it's a big conspiracy to make them infertile.
I don't think this is the way to stop the homeless from reproducing. :-)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:10 pm »
I thought this story was a whole lot of nothing.  I didn't see anyone being forced into it -- it's a job.  Maybe there is more to the story than I saw, but what I did see looked like a sensationalistic piece looking to cause controversary and increase viewership.

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:42 am »
At first I was like what's the big deal.  Then, I heard some "smart" folks on TV saying it took away their humanity--what if we chained bikes to them, used them to block the sun like an umbrella, and so on.  They got me feeling like it was bad. 

On the news, they said they were paid just $20/day.  But, I never heard how many hours they had to work for that.  About the radiation issues I've heard on the news, I've used my phone as a hot spot.  I think that is basically what they were doing, right?  Using phones as hot spots, no? 

On the other hand, it can be a good way for homeless people to make money--if they are paid fairly.  A homeless person is going to have a hard time getting a "regular" job without an address or current work history.  So, I don't know.  If they don't feel used or made to feel less worthy, then it should be left to them? 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:48 am »
So offering a job where people are paid at least $70 for 6 hours of standing around carrying a sign and a cell phone hot spot takes away people's humanity? If these were high school students people would not blink.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
Sounds like an experiment and as such, since they got paid, where's the problem.  Might be a bad idea to put this into permanent place in some city, however.  It does have an odd wealth/poverty and power/powerlessness vibe and I might see it construed as a bit insensitive.
One town were i went to college didn't have recycling but did have deposits and some homeless made it their full-time job to collect cans around town and return them, no college students would ever spend the time to do so.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Growler

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
Why stop at Wi-Fi? I propose that they strap solar panels to the backs of the homeless so that users can recharge their smart phones in an enviromentally sensitive manner. Sigh! Makes me feel as warm as a Bum awash in the glow of a dozen iPhones.
GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
I'm betting the best source of opinion are homeless people doing the hot spot gig.

This writer/article offers insight as well.http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/14/don-t-be-so-quick-to-condemn-the-homeless-hot-spots-idea-writes-lee-stringer.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:18:40 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »
This be good wi-fi  20 dollars for the  bum gets kill over this hot spot .what a way to get them out of your city lol. Got to love the people that come up with these lol

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:55:16 pm »
It would never work here on the Russian River.  The city limit sign at Guerneville reads 1925 population and the county estimates an additional 250 people who are homeless.  That is 19% of the population would be hot spots while the rest, like me live next to vacation rentals which give free wi fi.  I like where I live...if only the neighbors would stop hanging themselves in their trees.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »
It would never work here on the Russian River.  The city limit sign at Guerneville reads 1925 population and the county estimates an additional 250 people who are homeless.  That is 19% of the population would be hot spots while the rest, like me live next to vacation rentals which give free wi fi.  I like where I live...if only the neighbors would stop hanging themselves in their trees.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Micheal, do they still have the "Lazy Bear Weekends" up there in Guerneville, hubby bob & I were invited to a few of them back in the late 90s we just pitched a tent and it was a lotta fun from what I recall  :P
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:06:04 pm »
Hey Dennis,  I think so... Last year my neighbor complimented my hair and thought I did it to attract bears.  He was sending his lover out to trap himself a bear in those trees because, he said his lover thought bears were cute.  They cut my neighbor out of the tree two weeks ago, just after after he hanged himself. 
 8)  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.