Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:11:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772949
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 470
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone here on Prezista...  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Alain

• I am.
Anyone here on Prezista...
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
....that are also allergic to sulfa base drugs, like Septra and Bactrim.

I have to use Pentamidine and Mepron as alternatives.

I understand that Prezista is sulfa based, but my doctor says it is a different compound.

It is the only drug I haven't tried yet and I might have to in the future.

Appreciate your comments.

Offline todd123

• "You don't ask, you don't know."
Re: Anyone here on Prezista...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:17 am »
I have just been diagnosed with really bad numbers.  My doc put me on Prezista/Norvir, Isentress and Intelence.
I also have to take Meprod because I'm allergic to Bactrim.  I just found out about the sulpha aspect last nite.
I'm on day 3 and will keep you posted.  No other side effects thus far.   Needless to say, I'm very scared.
Tested HIV+ July 28, 2008
CD4 16 VL over 400,000
Started Prezista/Norvir, Isentress and Intelence; Mepron
8/08   CD4 64    2%      VL 1500
9/08   CD4 135  6%      VL 371
11/08 CD4 104   9%     VL 156
12/08 CD4 161   9%     VL 400
01/09 CD4 109   7%     VL 351
02/09 CD4 218   8%     VL   98
03/09 CD4   80   5%     VL   98 at least that's the same
04/09 CD4 150   7%      VL 100
05/09 CD4 232   8%      VL   90

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:36 am »
Thank you and good luck with it.

I am sure that you will be alright. ;)

Please let us know how you are doing.

I tried to desensitize Bactrim/Septra 4 times and never made it further then the third day.

I became a lobster every time ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:11:02 pm »
I had a (mild) allergic reaction to Bactrim about 13 years ago, but I've had no issue at all with Prezista.  I have no proof, but perhaps it's made in some manner that this is not an issue.

Also, I've gotten wildly great lab numbers from it and no side effects such as diarrhea.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:57 pm »
Philly,

Thank you for the info.

I am hoping that it will work for me as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:45:29 pm by Alain »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »
What are you combing with the Prezista as a regimen, Alain?

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:40 pm »
Well right now I am not on it yet, I am on 3TC, Isentress, Celsentry and Intelence. I got rid of Fuzeon.

Because I tried to get on this combo 4 times since January, I am afraid that it won't work for long (resistance to Celsentri).

I can't wait for my next lab results.

So as per my doctor, I may have to add a PI (Prezista) boosted with Ritonavir in order to help get my numbers up.

This is my last option, but am afraid of sulfa allergic reaction.

I am not sure if you can combine 3TC, Isentress, Intelence, Prezista and Ritonavir.

Offline todd123

• "You don't ask, you don't know."
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 02:53:41 pm »
Sorry I'm just now thanking you for responding to me responding to you.
I'm just getting used to this message board.
I've been on the meds since last Tuesday and so far, so good.  No side effects.
Today is a good day, and until I see my doc again I'm going to try to live with that philosophy.

I obsessed about HIV for 20 years and never got tested.  I refuse to go through that again.
Tested HIV+ July 28, 2008
CD4 16 VL over 400,000
Started Prezista/Norvir, Isentress and Intelence; Mepron
8/08   CD4 64    2%      VL 1500
9/08   CD4 135  6%      VL 371
11/08 CD4 104   9%     VL 156
12/08 CD4 161   9%     VL 400
01/09 CD4 109   7%     VL 351
02/09 CD4 218   8%     VL   98
03/09 CD4   80   5%     VL   98 at least that's the same
04/09 CD4 150   7%      VL 100
05/09 CD4 232   8%      VL   90

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 04:02:03 pm »
Alain, that sounds rather odd to add Prezista to the meds you just described, I guess it's the Selzentry factor (which you misspelled as Celsentry).  Not sure what the appropriate combinations for this new med are, and I only have one friend here in Philadelphia that is currently on it.

How has your experience been with Intelence?  Any side effects?

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 05:19:26 pm »
David,

I do suffer a lot of fatigue, especially 2 to 3 hours after taking the meds.

The doctor says that it should get better in another couple of weeks.

BTW Celsentri is not misspelled but rather distributed that way in Canada.

Selzentry is for the US market, don't ask me why.

I would probably have to remove Celsentri to be able to go with Prezista/Ritonavir.

That is if I can tolerate it.

Thanks , Alain
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:52:17 pm by Alain »

Offline whiteboy500

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:18:25 am »
I have had severe allergic reactions to sulfur based drugs,  Bactrim and Abacavir.  But I got on Prezista with Fuzeon.....Then Insentress came out and i dropped the Fuzeon.    I have had no reactions from Prezista.  I don't seem to have any side effects.  So hope you decide to get on it.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:45:08 am »
Thank you WH, and it is nice to know that it is working for you.

I hear the drug is great especially with good results, and it is very well tolerated.

I am hoping, Thanks again , Alain

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 09:41:07 am »
I've been on Prezista (about a year?) with no problems with side effects.  I will be switching this month to the 600mg size as opposed to taking two 300mg.  My only problem, and in the light of things, not a terrible thing, is that it's so close in color to Epzicom which I also take.  Both are just a hair shade different of a peachy/orange color, when filling my pill boxes (I do 4 weeks of pill boxes at a time.) I have to make sure I'm very careful on accidentally mixing up the two.

Chris

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.