Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:33:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whats the best way to lose weight quickly while being poz.  (Read 13411 times)

Offline lifer

Whats the best way to lose weight quickly while being poz.
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »
not on meds yet, gained a lot of weight because of depression and other factors need to get it all off now (at least 20 pounds). i was wondering whats the best way to lose this much weight in a short period of time and yet keep your levels up... does anyone know a good combination of exercise and dieting?

i feel as if im not ''radiant'' anymore, my face and skin looks very fatique. might be due to all the crap ive been eating or simply from being hiv positive..

thoughts? ideas? tips?  thanks!

Offline Florida69

Re: Whats the best way to lose weight quickly while being poz.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:29:43 pm »
I have been on this diet (since January 2008) that is going around, that has really worked for me.  Basically it includes 10 servings of protein, and 4 servings of fruits and veggies a day.  I have lost 45lbs thus far, I am still loosing, so once you find the diet that is right for you and easy for you to follow, then it will indeed work.  If you want to hit me up, I would be happy to email you the diet.  I am also taking a mulivitamin, fish oil and B-12 daily.  It is never a good idea to loose a lot of weight at once, my doctor said up to 4 pounds a week is healthy.  Good luck, D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:31:19 pm by Florida69 »
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »
Just eat right, cut out the McDonalds, candy, junkfood, and starches.  Eat more fruit and vegetables and walk everywhere...like you're late for the bus.  Lift weights if you have access, this builds muscle and muscle burns fat.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:25:10 pm »
Since you mention depression and "other factors" you might want to schedule an appointment with your doctor before you start any diet regimen to lose weight quickly. You don't mention your numbers or your general state of health which as a person living with HIV and not on meds might be a factor when it comes to dieting and exercise. 

Remember anything you read over the internet should be taken as advice only. As a person living with HIV you might want to run it by your doctor before starting any diet or exercise routine.

Good Luck

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:02:03 pm »
Agreed.  Additionally you may wish to obtain a referral from your doctor to see a nutritionist that deals with HIV+ patients, and this will give you good guidance with any dietary changes to lose weight.

Also, have you discussed your depression/weight gain issue as well with your doctor?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:09:30 pm »
No magic anywhere on this one. Less calories in and the more you exercise, the more the weight will come off.

If you lost 2 pounds a week and taking into account a few slips, that means 20 pounds would take about 3 months to leave.......

Like Florida and Pacer said, reducing the junk and exercising has worked for me --- and it gets harder to keep off every year I get older.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:18:45 pm »
Actually no hartiepie, if someone is gaining weight because of depression issues it's probably actually not about "magic" -- nor are any of us on a web forum sitting in a room with lifer, like a doctor would be, to make sure what he's describing is what would be sitting in front of him.  Lifer also mentions "face and skin" issues so that's another reason to have a conversation with his doctor.

Considering he mentioned suicidal thoughts in an old post I guess I'm a bit more cautious than you are with his post.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »
Go ahead Philly and be cautious (of course), but since you and Doxie already said it, I didn't say anything about seeing a doc.

Since I didn't read anything about suicide here, I made my comments about what s/he asked -- weight loss.

My advice is still true.

No weight loss is magic and magic results shouldn't be expected, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:10:22 am by hartiepie »

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)

Offline Dachshund

Offline John2038

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:08:38 pm »
Before you follow advice over the internet check with your doctor.

what is also mentioned in these links  :-*

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »
what is also mentioned in these links  :-*

You go girl, it can't be stressed enough how important it is to discuss your health with your doctor before trying anything you read on the intrawebs. I'm glad you mentioned it sweetie. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 06:38:19 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Pirate

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
I'm doing The Zone Diet and working out.  I have to say, I'm doing The Zone in a somewhat half assed way.  I don't watch portions like they say you should (for instance a serving of chicken should be no larger than your palm and I never adhere to that) and I cheat every once in a while but eliminating most starches from my diet has made a difference.  I've lost nine pounds in the last month and I feel really good and energetic. 

You probably don't want to hear this, but you really don't need to lose weight that quickly.  You probably think you do because you're depressed -- there's probably a voice in your head saying, "I won't be happy until I lose twenty pounds" -- but trust me, you'll feel better as soon as you start to adhere to a diet and exercise plan.

As for the "radiance" issue:  sometimes when people are depressed, their skin and hair lose their luster.  When I'm happy, I glow, when I'm depressed I look grey.  That's been true long before I got infected. 

Offline John2038

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:31 pm »
I totally agree with you Pirate !
Good points  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.