Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Medazzaman

New
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:36:17 pm »
New here from Atlanta.  Tested poz 3 weeks ago.  I'm freaking about my first labs... vl of 4,000; cd4 of 201 - 25%.  Dr. says he'll probably start treatment next time I see him (in 2 weeks).

I can't stop the worrying and obsessing.  Please tell me this gets better.

Thanks
Jason.

Offline Eldon

Re: New
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:14:33 pm »
Hello Jason,

It is unfortunate that you have tested positive for HIV. However is is good that you do know now so that you can take action with your health. At the moment, it is a hard pill to swallow and it will take some time for you to adjust to this. Work on building your Support System and have that in place as you will need this along your "journey" in this life.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you. We are here to encourage one another and to learn from each other.

Talking to other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time as it is highly therapeutic.

In the interim, you may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, Omega 3 and eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

P.S. --- It does get better.

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:42:26 am »
It will get better. I tested positive on 10/10. I at least now can wake up without my first thouht being HIV. I too start meds in two weeks but only because I am pregnant. Maybe we can go through it together. Hand in there and take that advice to eat healthy and excercise.

Offline Beatz4me

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
Welcome Jason,

Always here to listen..And yes, even though it may not seem like it yet..It will get better.

Hugz

Michael 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:16 am »
It DOES get better, Jason. Right now it is still very new and overwhelming.

The important thing is you have a doctor monitoring your numbers. Developing that partnership with your doctor is one of the most important elements in keeping you healthy. Ask questions when you have them.

Read the lessons on this site if you haven't already done so. And maybe even re-read them, because you may find that the intensity of your feelings right now clouds your ability to take information. Gradually things are going to settle down and you'll see that life is going to include HIV, but your life is going to include a lot more besides that.

Give it time and things will begin to fall into place. You're always welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Medazzaman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:58:18 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the support.  Can i reasonably expect the cd4 numbers to go up after treatment?  I'm just confused as to why the CD4 would be low when the VL is also low.  This is all driving me crazy.

Offline optimuseyes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 06:56:02 pm »
Jason...I am in Atlanta as well.  I just wanted you to know that I tested poz about 5 weeks ago.  If you want someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to email me.  I am still fairly new to all of this, so I am sure your fears and my fears are not that different.  Send me a Private Message if you want my email address.  I'd like to know if you have contacted any of the local HIV/AIDS organizations for guidance and counselling.  I have some information about a couple of groups that I'd like to share with you.

Tony

Offline roadlesstraveled

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 07:21:28 pm »
Medazzaman, It does get better. I think the only thing that makes it better to cope with is getting a couple of god labs back and also sharing your status with a VERY CLOSE FRIEND. I did and he said, "Really, I am also!" We have become so close since I disclosed my status to him. He told me, " I remember when my doctor called me and asked me to come in to the office and when I got there he said your HIV test came back positive and I said, CHILE you could have told me that over the phone!" That type of humor really made my burden a little lighter. He wasn't taking his diagnosis lightly he was just letting me know that we have to continue to live. I think you must now learn to live differently, read positive forums and close out those negative folk that still think this is a death sentence. That's were I went wrong. In my quest to understand what was about to take place with my health I read too many negative things that made me very depressed. I now only review three sites- POZ (aidsmeds community forum), TheBody.com and John Hopkins HIV, google search them and you'll get your bearrings back quickly.
Man never knows precisly what is right. So torn between a purpose and a doubt, he first builds windows to let the light in, then hangs curtains to shut it out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.