Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 346
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mouth Ulcers  (Read 6712 times)

Offline YellowFever

Mouth Ulcers
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:43:16 am »
Hi all,

I've been having frequent mouth ulcers (~once a month) and they are quite bothersome to treat (applying Dexamethasone paste onto the would). Left untreated, it usually takes about 10-14 days to clear (which is a pain-in-the-mouth). I'm wondering if anyone has more convenient solutions to this? (Special ingredient to look for in a mouthwash, patches, tablets...?)
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline Common_ground

Re: Mouth Ulcers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:49 am »
I had one annoying bugger on the inside of my lower lip, kept reoccurring for some months even after I started meds but then it just stopped and havent come back ever since.

I also had a friend who kept getting these , turns out he was allergic to some foods, cant recall what but anyhow he stopped eating it and voila no more ulcers.

Some sores/ulcers can also be caused by herpes.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:42 am »
Hi all,

I've been having frequent mouth ulcers (~once a month) and they are quite bothersome to treat (applying Dexamethasone paste onto the would). Left untreated, it usually takes about 10-14 days to clear (which is a pain-in-the-mouth). I'm wondering if anyone has more convenient solutions to this? (Special ingredient to look for in a mouthwash, patches, tablets...?)

Has a doctor or dentist prescribed this dexamethasone paste or have you been self-prescribing?

If I were you, I'd go to a dentist who is experienced in treating hiv positive patients and get to the bottom of what's going on.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:57 pm »
If they are canker sore type blisters they are probably caused by herpes type 1 which most people have, and it is most easily cleared up with Valtrex. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
Self-prescribed. These aren't sores at the edge of the lip but deep inside the inner linings of the mouth. I doubt it is Herpes as my doctor ran tests for co-infections when I first tested poz and I do not have any STDs other than HIV. But yeah, maybe a visit to the dentist is in order. Thanks!
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:23:43 am »
Self-prescribed. These aren't sores at the edge of the lip but deep inside the inner linings of the mouth. I doubt it is Herpes as my doctor ran tests for co-infections when I first tested poz and I do not have any STDs other than HIV. But yeah, maybe a visit to the dentist is in order. Thanks!

About 80 percent of people have oral herpes 1 which is not genital herpes.  Many people get it casually as children.  I used to get those same mouth ulcers under my tongue, on my tongue, on my gums on occasion too.  I used to rinse with salt water, and take antacids, and take Tylenol to take away the discomfort.  It just had to work it's course and it was really bad sometimes for about a week.  Now I take Valtrex only when I feel one coming on and it's gone in a day or two.  The doctor even told me I can take it every day to prevent them, but I'd rather just take it when I get an outbreak.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:09:26 am »
If we're talking about the same thing, I get them very frequently.  They are always at the back of my throat.  They are yellowish-white.  They can be bothersome.  I often get them more, when I am stressed.  I've found gargling with salt water seems to really help.  Last time I used too much salt, and I think that's what caused my tongue to feel like I had burned it. 

My brother is neg and gets them, too.  He actually gets big ones on the side of his tongue. 

Offline elf

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
You shouldn't be using dexamethasone for this.  :-\
Since it's an imunosupressant.

Try something with hyaluronic acid instead, like Gengigel gel.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:10:48 am »
You shouldn't be using dexamethasone for this.  :-\
Since it's an imunosupressant.

Try something with hyaluronic acid instead, like Gengigel gel.

Or better yet, see your doctor or dentist and get a diagnosis and a prescription fitting that diagnosis.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pittman

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »
A few things to try:

1) switch to a toothpaste without sodium laurel sulfate, which can be an irritant. I use biotene. This alone reduced flair ups by over 90% for me.

2) when you have a flair up, be extra diligent in brushing and flossing.

3) rinse with hydrogen peroxide, with acts as an oral debrider. That can help speed healing slightly (more effective earlier) and it can help relieve the pain.

4) swish/sip plain soda water. The carbonation can help the pain.

5) avoid citrus, pineapple and acidic foods if you feel a flair up starting or if you find it causes them.

I used to get ulcers every few weeks but now maybe 1-2 times a year.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
A few things to try:

1) switch to a toothpaste without sodium laurel sulfate, which can be an irritant. I use biotene. This alone reduced flair ups by over 90% for me.

2) when you have a flair up, be extra diligent in brushing and flossing.

3) rinse with hydrogen peroxide, with acts as an oral debrider. That can help speed healing slightly (more effective earlier) and it can help relieve the pain.

4) swish/sip plain soda water. The carbonation can help the pain.

5) avoid citrus, pineapple and acidic foods if you feel a flair up starting or if you find it causes them.

I used to get ulcers every few weeks but now maybe 1-2 times a year.

Hi pittman and welcome to the forums . Feel free to introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you . Welcome again , Jeff .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
I agree with Pittman in regards to acidic foods, I was getting mouth ulcers a couple of months ago, not sure what caused them, the fact my numbers dropped to 180 or the many home grown tomatoes I was eating, probably a bit of both, I found a mouthwash rinse helped.

Welcome to the forums Pittman, look forward to hearing more from you.

Jan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:58:13 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:53:01 pm »
A few things to try:

I've read this so many times, yet I haven't switched to a toothpaste not containing it.  Perhaps I will finally give it a try, and see if it really helps.  But, what about Listerine?  I brush at least twice a day, and gargle every time.  I've also read mouthwashes can be irritants.  But, other articles say Listerine is okay and that it is often ones like Scope that are offenders. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
My dentist told me any mouth wash product labeled as comparable to Listerine is fine . I didn't think to ask why but that what he told me when I asked about generic mouth wash .
I get those things in my mouth also and mouth wash may burn at first but it sooths the pain really quickly afterwards .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:02:52 pm »
My dentist told me any mouth wash product labeled as comparable to Listerine is fine . I didn't think to ask why but that what he told me when I asked about generic mouth wash .
I get those things in my mouth also and mouth wash may burn at first but it sooths the pain really quickly afterwards .

Listerine is what I used, and still do, it really does seem to help keep the mouth ulcers at bay.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 07:12:40 pm »
Hey, YellowFever.

I'm not at all implying that this is your situation, but for anyone reading the thread with a similar-sounding problem, I thought I'd throw this out there. Even if the cause is different, the advice might still be useful.

If you smoke certain drugs (meth, for example), you can get a thing called 'speed bumps' in your mouth, mostly on the tongue. They can make eating - and sometimes even speaking - difficult. Brushing and regular mouthwash habits can be hard to keep up with because of the pain. The best way to get rid of them, of course, is to stop smoking. However, that's not helpful if you already have them. Anecdotally, using a mouth rinse like Biotene or any generic equivalent (CVS has one for about 25% cheaper than the name brand) helps these heal faster - from a week to a few days. If money isn't a problem, you can even get gum with the same ingredients. It's not all that expensive, but it's definitely more per dose than just using the rinse.

Alcohol-based mouthwash is probably not great for other reasons, and anyone, drug user or not, can probably benefit from switching to something like Biotene. I own no stock in the company. ;)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.