Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:51:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 540
Total: 541

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One year later what I have learned  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Pirata

One year later what I have learned
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:06 pm »
Hello everybody, it has been a year since. Was diagnosed as HIV positive. It was on February the 5th while I was doing my annual check out. I was not expecting these news. When the doctor told me by phone about my diagnostic, I felt that my life was over. I am a teacher and when I talked to the doctor, I was about to start my next class. There were the longest 90 minutes of my life. My VL was 121,000 and my CD4 100. The dollars told me that under 200 it was considered AIDS and I needed to start antibiotics to avoid opportunistic infections. He also prescribed Viktarvy. I was so depressed, even though he told me everything was going to be ok, and talked about the advances in medicine. I also tested positive for syphilis. I have to talk to a person they send from the department of health and it was really humiliating. I was so embarrassed. I started taking my medicine on February the 25th, and had my first labs around March the 21st, VL 155 and CD4 140,  I started to feel better about my diagnosis because the numbers were good.  On June the 6th I got my new results, VL -25 , but CD4 still 140. I felt disappointed because I thought they were going to go up at the same pace they did during my second results. Doctor said that I didn’t have to worry because the most important number was my VL and that was showing the treatment was working. I got another results a month later, CD4 150 , VL 50. I started to feel depressed again, I just wanted to reach the 200 and be out of the AIDS spectrum. On August the 2nd, my CD4 went down 140,  but my VL was 31. Doctor started to tell me the importance of being patient. I learned all the bodies are different and some people have a faster process than others, and I was on the slow side. On November my CD4 were 110, and VL 30. Doctor asked me if I wanted to change my Biktarvy and I said no, because I learned from here that if the treatment is working and keeping you undetectable, then nothing needs to be changed, the doctor changed bactrim for dopsone, he said dapsone has lower impact on CD4. Today I received my lab results, CD4 160, 17% the highest I have ever been in both aspects, I haven’t had my VL results yet, but I am hoping for good news. I am thankful because I didn’t get sick before I was diagnosed, and I have been able to continue my life and my routine. I been going to the gym 5 days a week for the last 12 years, I can go on long walks with my dogs, and I have not missed one day at work, today I can say I am the healthiest I have been in years. HIV under control, syphilis free, and full of hope for the future.

Online daveR

Re: One year later what I have learned
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:25:23 am »
Sounds like things are looking good for you. When the virus is under control, your body will do the rest itself with your CD 4 count.
Good to see you are still fit and active, nothing has to change now a days. Keep doing what you use to.

Good luck
Dave

Offline Pirata

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:26 pm »
And I got my VL <20 I am just happy 😃

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:17 pm »
Congratulations on the results

I have been able to continue my life and my routine. I been going to the gym 5 days a week for the last 12 years, I can go on long walks with my dogs, and I have not missed one day at work, today I can say I am the healthiest I have been in years. HIV under control, syphilis free, and full of hope for the future.

:) Great update and really glad to hear things are going well and you feel good.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Pirata

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:17:00 pm »
Thank you Jimmy for your support and knowledge and also all the people in here that have kept me optimistic when I was down, you all are really appreciated

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 08:35:51 pm »

ojo.     Hola pirata, With that cd4 % I wouldn’t worry about  your cd4 absolute... What were your percentage before?.,,You will be fine, just take your one pill a day and have a good attitude...Please keep us posted

Offline Pirata

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:50:07 pm »
I have been 14% 12% and this time 17% it was also good news!

Offline Pirata

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »
I went to my appointment today, the doctor was very happy about my progress and he told me that it was time for me to stop taking the Dopson, I was very surprised and I told him I thought I was going to stop when I reached 200 CD4, he said it was all right because I have been undetectable for almost a year and I am doing good progress. I agreed but I am a little concern, but happy at the same time. Any similar experiences?

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:21:08 pm »

ojo.      Your doctor is right and with your Xcd4% I wouldn’t worry. Being ud it means you med is working. Now take back control of your life because your med it’s taking the virus controlled...please keep us posted. Best wishes

Offline Pirata

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:10 pm »
Thank you Tonny

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 09:05:52 pm »
Thank you Jimmy for your support and knowledge and also all the people in here that have kept me optimistic when I was down, you all are really appreciated

You're welcome, glad to hear that the forum community has been supportive for you  🙂
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.