Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:29:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 232
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: starting meds soon, any suggestions?  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
starting meds soon, any suggestions?
« on: August 16, 2006, 04:22:32 pm »
Hi everyone, how's it going?  It's been a long time since I posted, hope all is doing well.  I have decided to start the meds regime and have a few questions in mind.  I just want to find out about the meds as much as possible as I am a bit nervous about it.  My doctor had done an adherent test and I am not resistant to any of the meds.  She said that I can take 2 pills a day.  Is there a combination of meds that would give me more energy? And the toxicity of the meds to the body, is it bad?  How about the side effects, which I am afraid of.  If anyone can share their experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: starting meds soon, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:25:46 pm »
hMy post in this thread may be helpful.

- matt

Now playing: ring tone on my phone
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:13:40 pm »
I started Sustiva and Truvada 2 days ago. I am having a terrible headache today`s afternoon. It this disappearing now. Just when I have to take a new dose. But at least I sleep like a baby.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:23:04 pm »
Hello Justin, it is Eldon. It is good to hear from you and to know that you are doing well. From my own experience, I too had the concern of toxicity of the meds when I started earlier this year.

I then went on Epzicom and Reyataz and I have not had any noticeable side effects (knock on wood). As for the energy, I don't know of a regimen that will give you more energy. We had a thread talking about fatigue and testosterone, you may want to look that up.

It is not as bad as you think, it is mostly psycological.

Offline Ithaca_Nights

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:53:35 am »
I started Sustiva/Truvada on July 23rd.  The first couple of days I was dizzy as hell, but that only lasted for 2 days.  I am still get tired from the combo during the day, but my Dr. seems to think this will go away soon.  Over all I am feeling pretty good.
Yours, Dan

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:31:31 am »
I'm on Epzicom/sustiva. I notice no sides from Epzicom, except the warnings if you have a reaction to Epzicom when first starting. Some 5% have reactions that can be fatal, but if you make it thru the first 6 weeks, you're ok for the drug.
Sustiva is a bit nasty. Makes you feel dizzy and drunk feeling but that tends to last only a few hours. So thats why they say to take it at bedtime, to sleep it off. That works. And after a few weeks, even the sustiva sides tend to lessen a lot. Eating as little as possible a few hours before sustiva makes it a lot better to tollerate too.

I'm on Epzicom rather than truvada because Epzicom is easier on the kidneys, an issue with me.

But Epzicom. sustiva and truvada (the newer meds) gives fairly fast undetectable VL. And they are once a day pills. If sustiva was more like Epzicom (in little or no sides), then THAT would be wonderful.

I've been on the meds since last October 05 and now an back biking 17 miles a week (weather allowing), and have good energy. I was at 500,000 VL and cd4 of 83 before meds. Not good...
Sleep seems to be a key to energy and meds. So be kind to yourself and dont push it. Get plenty of sleep and forget about burning the candle at both ends (like we did when we were young).
All the best!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Optimistic

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 06:59:10 pm »
Thank you all for the replys and the helpful information.  I hear sustiva has a possibility of transmitting bad dreams, is that correct?  I am also afraid of the 5% reaction which can be fatal with Epzicom.  My doc has suggested Truvada and I have considered taking this drug.  Regardless, I look forward to starting meds and will keep a positive attitude when I start the regime.   It is comforting to hear that the side effects are minimal and doesn't last very long.  I hope the meds will work for me like it has for all of you.  I will keep all of you posted once I start the meds, but it is not for another several weeks.

Best,

Justin

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:37 pm »
Regardless, I look forward to starting meds and will keep a positive attitude when I start the regime.

Hey Justin, Now that is the kind of attitude to have!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:25:01 pm by Eldon »

Offline Blixer

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:49:51 pm »
Justin, I think everyone may react to the meds a bit differently.  But overal, most of the time any bothersome side effects do resolve.  I think the issues with Epzicom is that some 5% have a bad reaction to it.  You will know if you have a reaction and the issue with it being fatal is basically only if you don't pay attention to the reaction or if you try to restart after having a hypersensitive reaction.  It is my understanding that a bad reaction doesn't just immediately happen.  I was on sustiva and epzicom initially.  I had significant leg pain that led to a discontinuation of the epzicom.  The drug in the epzicom that causes the main problem is the abacavir.  I was not willing to retry the Epzicom so my doctor put me on sustiva, epivir (which is in epzicom) and videx EC.  I had minor issues with the sustiva. I had a bit of insomnia the first time I was on it but now I sleep like a rock.  I had a couple of days of slight dizziness.  I actually take the sustiva in the morning about 6 AM.  I eat breakfast about 7 AM and go on with my day with virutually no problems.  I had two days when I got extremely tired about 3 hours after taking the meds.  But after that, things have been fine.  After I got rid of the pain from the abacavir I'm pretty much back to normal. I take the meds and never have an issue.  At 4 months on meds my VL is undetectable and my CD4 percentage has doubled.  Don't be afriad of the meds.  If you do have side effects that don't resolve, ask your doctor to change the meds.  There are lots of choices out there.  Oh, and in terms of the dreams... I've had no dreams with the sustiva...  I actually took a week off of work when I started meds because I was so afraid of bad side effects.  I didn't need to do that.  I could have gone in to work the next morning.  I remember taking the meds the first night and laying there thinking ... hummm....  did I really take them? I don't feel anything.  I did have some unplesant side effects with the leg pain, but after the med change that resolved and now I can't even tell when I've taken them.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:19:29 am »
Dear Blixer,

Thank you for posting your lab reports.  I started my regimen about two months ago and that's only because the Veterans Hospital is picking up the tab for nearly 98% of the cost of the drugs.  It was interesting to see such improvement in your CD4 and viral load numbers over a few months.  When I first decided to try to "increase my longevity" I had a tcell count of 0 and I don't remember the viral load.  My second trip to the VA, my TCell was at 1 and VL was 750,000.   My 2nd trip I was Tcell 22 and VL in the high 600K.  I try to be very religious about taking the pills but if I miss a dose or doses I take what I missed at night.  I take 9 different pills which I slotted in two hour intervals.

Seeing your lab results made me realize "it can be achieved to make this nasty bug no more worrisome then having to take a couple of pills a day".  Shoot, most of us take 1 or 2 vitamins a day so why should our affliction bog us down.

Brian
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:43:56 pm »
Sustiva and Truvada are fairly popular.  They have been kicking MY ass 6 ways from Sunday.  But it isnt that way for everyone.  Just stick RELIGIOUSLY to your meds.  Thats my advice.

Oh and the dreams they speak of... if I could put them on film I would rival Speilberg!  They can be a TON of fun!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Optimistic

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:38:01 am »
Hello everyone, thanks for all the valuable information.  Hopefully my body can tolerate the meds like all of you.   

Eldon, it's always comforting to hear from you. 

Blixer, thanks for the comforting info...I was worried about work, but after reading your post, I feel much better about it.

ACinKC, I wonder what my dreams would be on sustiva....maybe I could rival speilberg as well.

Hope all is well. 

Justin

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.