Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:27:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 187
Total: 188

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Astragalus tea  (Read 52798 times)

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
Astragalus tea
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »
I am thinking about taking Astragalus as a tea on a daily basis, I was reading about it and it seems to be good to the immune system.
http://www.herbalremedies.com/hk-1b.html

Has anyone tried it?
POZ since 2000 • On Genvoya

"I can be changed by what happens to me. but I refuse to be reduced by it.”

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
Re: Astragalus tea
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:03 am »
hi pozz.

interesting post. i've read some about the potential benefits of astragulus & am curious about it also. i'll definitely stay tuned ;)

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:52:43 am »
this should probably be in Nutrition
I know there are other threads about it

Offline nycpoz

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »
I have heard a lot about astragulus from my chinese colleagues. There is a saying in china, if you give it to someone who is dying, he will be ok :) .. I have tried ginger-astragulus candies, and they are yummy. Not sure how it is helpful in our condition.

Keep us posted  !!

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00:38 am »
Use only the effective roots of Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus), which are sold as thinly sliced flat pieces* in TCM stores. It is cheaper to buy loose from TCM medicinal halls but ready packed boxes, like those shown above post in the website : herbalremedies by pozzitive, offer more conveniences as they come in tea bag forms. ;)

In Asia, this herb is used frequently in brewing tonic soups and is as common as using spices like cinnamon or pepper.

If u wanna save time brewing the tea for daily drink, make a bigger pot and add chrysanthemum flowers and a bit of sugar for taste and let it cool. Or simply brew using the tea bag (contains other herbs too) method.
Store the extra in a bottle in the fridge. Depending on how much sugar is added, it should last 3-4 days in the fridge. Otherwise, a week if sugarless.

More info: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/astragalus-000223.htm

Photo: * See photos #22-29
http://www.stevenfoster.com/photography/imageviewsa/astraglus/membranaceus/am2-032509/index_3.html 
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:03 am »
http://www.naturalnews.com/024799.html

I believe an abstract from the original article from the science journal appeared on this web site.

I've been taking Astralagus pills ever since.

Offline KJPM

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:24 am »
My Aunt is an herbalist and I learned about Astragalus from her awhile back.  I had been taking it for awhile and feel that it is one of the main reasons why I haven't been very sick.  It's been ages since I've had the flu or a major cold, or anything that would have laid me up in bed.  This all before I even knew I was poz.

I just found out I was poz on 9/29/09, and it wasn't from being sick.  A routine checkup sent me to the dermatologist to check on a dark spot on my ear.  While there they decided to do a biopsy on my ear and asked if there was any other place that concerned me.  There was a zit on my arm that wouldn't go away so I said for them to biopsy it -- I only chose that spot because I figured that at least I'd get rid of it.  My ear was fine. The arm biopsy came back as KS.

This past month has been one of the most stressful months for me -- KS and HIV is one day.  I thought that with all of doctor's appointments and blood draws that had to go along with this and being on the city subways and in the clinic and hospital during Flu season -- around a lot of sick people, coupled with the stress ---that I would come down with something, but I didn't.

Maybe if I hadn't been taking Astragalus I would have been sick earlier and caught my HIV infection before it manifested as KS.  I don't know.  My CD4 count is 295 and my VL is 51,000 -- maybe the Astragalus helped keep the VL down.  I don't know.  Everyone is different and maybe there is another reason for my relative good heath. 

What I do know is that I'm a big believer in Astragalus and will continue to take it.
07/17/09 Annual checkup, dark spot on ear (derm referral)
08/18/09 Derm appt. ear and arm biopsy
09/29/09 Ear fine, arm biopsy is KS
09/30/09 Rapid test comes back HIV+
10/08/09 VL 51,000, CD4 295
11/02/09 Started taking Atripla
12/04/09 VL 264
12/31/09 VL 50, CD4 514
11/10/10 VL Und. CD4 689

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:36 pm »
From the Web Site from the initial post.....

is made of wild astragalus from the pollution-free area of northeast China. Astragalus contains polysaccharides, flavonoid, saponins, choline, betaine, folic acid, amino acids, vitamins, and 14 minerals: selenium, zinc, iron, etc. As an adaptogen, it helps the body regain balance and is the most popular herb in Chinese medicine for its tonifying, diuretic, cardiotonic, vasodilating and other useful qualities, to help maintain normal functions of the liver, lung, kidney, stomach and heart, to boost energy, defer aging, detoxify, etc., to bolster white blood cells growth, support the immune systems, and to promote the effect of other herbs, and help reduce side effect of chemotherapy and radiation.

So the key for me in the above passage is the word....

Adaptogen...

So from Wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptogen

------

This is my concern. We already know that Saint John's Wort and certain meds is a bad idea. Astragalus, which I used to take, being a complex herb with many medicinal purpose, never seem to do much for me pre med. I cycled on and off trying to see if i can "feel" any effect of being on or off. I got more out of another Adaptogen, Ginseng, which definately helped my energy level, and I could "feel" a difference when I cycled on or off Ginseng. I favored Ginseng in the end and stopped Astragalus entirely.

But Post meds, I am staying off herbal supplements in concentrated capsule form. Having some tea, green, ginger, adaptogen, I don't really see the harm, but in concentrated capsule form I would suggest caution.

My energy level has pretty much recovered since starting meds. So my "need" for an adaptogen is less of a concern.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline thom k

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:45 pm »
Hi,

I use astragalus ground up and drank in a tea or liquid, like a fiber supplement.   I have found the Sloan Kettering Cancer website regarding Integrative Medicine and Herbs to be helpful with regard to efficacy and suggestions regarding potential adverse reactions.  Although the focus is herbal remedies for cancer, it also discusses application for HIV patients:   http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/58481.cfm#A

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »
This is very interesting.  I eat more mushrooms + take an organic mushroom pill (includes reishi, shitake ) because they allegedly help boost the immune system.

what does astralagus taste like btw?

Offline thom k

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:57 pm »
Thanks for that website link.

I usually grind about a half to a third piece of Astragalus root up in my coffee grinder with flax seeds and mix it in a glass of water or juice in the morning.  I don't really notice that strong of a taste.  You can find it in capsule form too.

The amount (a half to a third piece of root/1x day) was suggested by someone at an herb store to boost immunity.  To be honest, I don't really know what a therapeutic dose would be or whether or not the dose would need to be higher depending on how compromised an individual immune system is.

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 07:48:42 am »
Hi all

I've been travelling in SE Asia for the past 10 weeks , about 6 weeks ago I came across Astralagus root, I've been boiling it and drinking it through out the day.
            In the last month I've noticed a big increase in my energy levels ( don't fall a sleep in the afternoon any more ) mentally I feel much better ( that could be due to sunshine and hot weather )

I even manage to play 4 or 5 rounds of golf a week in the tropical heat, amazingly shoot in the mid 70's.
             I don't know if its the Astralagus or the fact that I've been on ARV'S for two years, but I do feel like I got younger, all the aches and pains seems to have decreased too.

I will be interesting to see my next blood test results which  will be in mid April

All the best everyone,
                                 S.
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:11:22 am »
         I've been travelling in SE Asia for the past 10 weeks , about 6 weeks ago I came across Astralagus root, I've been boiling it and drinking it through out the day.
            In the last month I've noticed a big increase in my energy levels ( don't fall a sleep in the afternoon any more ) mentally I feel much better ( that could be due to sunshine and hot weather )

Hey Sam... what countries are you visiting? I used to travel to Southeast Asia a lot, totally loved the place. Like you, I experienced a noticeable increase in general "energy-ness" there, I always attributed it to the high warmth and sunshine compared my home in the dark damp US Pacific Northwest.

Not sure I'd put faith in astragalus...only six items returned from a search on PubMed for "astragalus HIV," the latest from August 2006.

Offline sam66

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:17 am »
Hi  Okealy
             I been in Laos , Burma then Thailand, I love this part of the world.
             I dont know what effect Astralagus has on hiv, if any. The locals do use it for medicinal
             purposes , to treat which specific illnesses I dont know, I will try to find out. I kow they
             also use as a general  "pick me up tonic " when they feel run down, especially older
             people.

I am a bit worried about any possible interactions between the astralagus and my arv's
             not sure if I should be taking astralagus every day.

I hope summer will arrive soon for you Okealy, and you get some sun to cheer you up

All the best S.         

Offline sam66

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:10 am »

Hi  Okealy
               One interesting bit of coincidence I forgot to mention before is, I noticed a hard lump on the
          inside of my upper lip size of a small pea , about 3 years ago, just before I was diagnosed +ve.
          It did not cause me any pain or problems so i did not even report it to my doctor.
          In the last 6 weeks it began to slowly disapear, now it has totally gone

S.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:53 am »
        inside of my upper lip size of a small pea , about 3 years ago, just before I was diagnosed +ve.
          It did not cause me any pain or problems so i did not even report it to my doctor.

S.

There are sometimes small cysts that can come and go, without astragalus having any effect on them. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline sam66

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:59:08 pm by sam66 »

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »
Hi  Okealy
               One interesting bit of coincidence I forgot to mention before is, I noticed a hard lump on the

S.
There are sometimes small cysts that can come and go, without astragalus having any effect on them. 

Come and go, indeed.  A cyst lasting for three years doesn't exactly fit my image of what "coming and going" means. 

If the cyst had appeared three weeks before and then, when Sam started drinking Astragalus tea, it had gone away, a coincidence would have been the most likely explanation.

Sam has a cyst for three years that doesn't go away, he starts drinking Astragalus, and it finally goes away.  Still possibly a coincidence, but not as likely.
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline ATorrez

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:05 pm »
I think you're just trying to convince yourself it works, despite little scientific evidence to support its use.
Piss off a democrat: Take responsibility for your life and your actions.

"When Marxist dictators shoot their way into power in Central America, the San Francisco Democrats don't blame the guerrillas and their Soviet allies. They blame United States policies of 100 years ago. But then they always blame America first." -Jeanne Kirkpatrick

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »
I think you're just trying to convince yourself it works, despite little scientific evidence to support its use.

Offline ATorrez

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:03:48 pm »
Please, point out to me one piece of peer reviewed research from a controlled clinical trial that shows that astagalus conclusively has beneficial effects on the health of those with HIV.

I'm waiting.....

Somehow asking for evidence and pointing out there is none makes me a troll.  ::)
Piss off a democrat: Take responsibility for your life and your actions.

"When Marxist dictators shoot their way into power in Central America, the San Francisco Democrats don't blame the guerrillas and their Soviet allies. They blame United States policies of 100 years ago. But then they always blame America first." -Jeanne Kirkpatrick

Offline veritas

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:30 am »

ATorrez,

Here are a few studies on astragalus -- including some with hiv:

Block KI, Mead MN. Immune system effects of Echinacea, ginseng and astragalus: a review. Integr Cancer Ther 2003; Sep, 2(3):247-267.
Chen KT, Su CH, Hsin LH, et al. Reducing fatigue of athletes following oral administration of huangqi jianzhong tang. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2002;Aug, 23(8):757-761.
Firenzuoli F, Gori L, Di Simone L, et al. Important bias in the Astragalus meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 2006;Jul 1, 24(19):3215-3216. Author reply, 3216-3217.
Huang CL, Lu YP. Effect of astragalus injection on insulin resistance in auxiliary treating patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 2003;Oct, 23(10):779-780.
Kobayashi H, Mizuno N, Teramae H, et al. Diet and Japanese herbal medicine for recalcitrant atopic dermatitis: efficacy and safety. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2004;30(5-6):197-202.
Kusum M, Klinbuayaem V, Bunjob M, Sangkitporn S. Preliminary efficacy and safety of oral suspension SH, combination of five chinese medicinal herbs, in people living with HIV/AIDS: the phase I/II study. J Med Assoc Thai 2004;87(9):1065-1070.
Lee HJ, Lee JH. Effects of medicinal herb tea on the smoking cessation and reducing smoking withdrawal symptoms. Am J Chin Med 2005;33(1):127-138.
Liu JP, Yang M, Du XM. Herbal medicines for viral myocarditis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(3):CD003711.
Mao SP, Cheng KL, Zhou YF. Modulatory effect of Astragalus membranaceus on Th1/Th2 cytokine in patients with herpes simplex keratitis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 2004;Feb, 24(2):121-123.
Natural Standard Research Collaboration, Chief Editors: Ulbricht C, Basch E, Natural Standard Herb and Supplement Reference. Evidence-Based Clinical Reviews, USA. Elsevier/Mosby, 2005.
Sun Y, Yang J. Experimental study of the effect of Astragalus membranaceus against herpes simplex virus type 1. Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 2004;Jan, 24(1):57-58.
Taixiang W, Munro AJ, Guanjian, L. Chinese medical herbs for chemotherapy side effects in colorectal cancer patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;(1):CD004540.
Wang F. Twenty-eight cases of diabetic foot ulcer and gangrene treated with the Chinese herbal medicine combined with injection of ahylsantinfarctase. J Tradit Chin Med. 2002;Mar, 22(1):3-4.
Wu J, Wang YX, Su WL, et al. Effect of astragalus injection on serious abdominal traumatic patients' cellular immunity. Chin J Integr Med 2006;Mar, 12(1):29-31.
Yin X, Zhang S, Kong Y, et al. Observation on efficiency of jiangtang capsule in treating diabetes mellitus type 2 with hyperlipidemia. Chin J Integ Trad West Med 2001;7(3):214-216.
Zhang JG, Yang N, He H, et al. Effect of astragalus injection on plasma levels of apoptosis-related factors in aged patients with chronic heart failure. Chin J Integr Med 2005;Sep, 11(3):187-190.
Zhou Y, Huang Z, Huang T, et al. Clinical study of Shengxue mixture in treating aplastic anemia. Chin J Integ Trad West 2001;7(3):186-189.

Last updated May 13

References
Chu DT, Wong WL, Mavligit GM. Immunotherapy with Chinese medicinal herbs. II. Reversal of cyclophosphamide-induced immune suppression by administration of fractionated Astragalus membranaceus in vivo. J Clin Lab Immunol 1988;25:125-9.
Taixiang W, Munro AJ, Guanjian L. Chinese medical herbs for chemotherapy side effects in colorectal cancer patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jan 25;(1):CD004540.
McCulloch M, See C, Shu XJ, et al. Astragalus-based Chinese herbs and platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Jan 20;24(3):419-30.
Cui R, He J, Wang B, et al. Suppressive effect of Astragalus membranaceus Bunge on chemical hepatocarcinogenesis in rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2003 Jan;51(1):75-80.
Cho WC, Leung KN. In vitro and in vivo anti-tumor effects of Astragalus membranaceus.Cancer Lett. Jul 8 2007;252(1):43-54.
Yu L, Lu Y, Li J, Wang H. Identification of a gene associated with astragalus and angelica's renal protective effects by silver staining mRNA differential display. Chin Med J (Engl) 2002;115:923-7.
Ahmed MS, Hou SH, Battaglia MC, et al. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy with the herb Astragalus membranaceus. Am J Kidney Dis. Dec 2007;50(6):1028-1032.
Ai P, Yong G, Dingkun G, et al. Aqueous extract of Astragali Radix induces human natriuresis through enhancement of renal response to atrial natriuretic peptide. J Ethnopharmacol. Mar 28 2008;116(3):413-421.
Shen HH, Wang K, Li W, et al. Astragalus Membranaceus prevents airway hyperreactivity in mice related to Th2 response inhibition.J Ethnopharmacol. Mar 5 2008;116(2):363-369.
Chen KT, Su CH, Hsin LH, et al. Reducing fatigue of athletes following oral administration of huangqi jianzhong tang. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2002 Aug;23(8):757-61.
Shi R, He L, Hu Y, et al. The regulatory action of radix astragali on M-cholinergic receptor of the brain of senile rats. J Tradit Chin Med 2001;21:232-5.
Tang W, et al. Chinese Drugs of Plant Origin. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1992.
Qun L, Luo Q, Zhang ZY, et al. Effects of astragalus on IL-2/IL-2R system in patients with maintained hemodialysis. Clin Nephrol. 1999 Nov;52(5):333-4.
Chu DT, Lepe-Zuniga J, Wong WL, et al. Fractionated extract of Astragalus, a Chinese medicinal herb, potentiates LAK cell cytotoxicity generated by a low dose of recombinant interleukin-2. J Clin Lab Immunol 1988;26:183-7.
Upton R. Astragalus root: analytical, quality control and therapeutic monograph. American Herbal Pharmacopoeia. 1999;1:1-25.
Wu P, Dugoua JJ, Eyawo O, Mills EJ. Traditional Chinese medicines in the treatment of hepatocellular cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Aug 12;28(1):112.
v

Offline zielwolf

• In Memory Of The 12" Single
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 02:11:16 pm »
I am thinking about taking Astragalus as a tea on a daily basis, I was reading about it and it seems to be good to the immune system.
http://www.herbalremedies.com/hk-1b.html

Has anyone tried it?

I tried it in tincture form for a few months. I don't know if it did any good. When I was taking it my CD4 count did go up slightly against expectations and my viral load was less but I certainly cannot say if that was due to the Astragalus or anything else happening at the time.

I have heard of a study which suggested astragalus can fight HIV by slowing down the shortening of telomeres in immune system cells, but not sure how trustworthy that study is.

In any case, it's nothing compared to HAART. Since starting HAART I have stopped all supplements. I'm now convinced that, for now, there is nothing as such in nature that will fight HIV. Only chemotherapy will control it. Good food, exercise and a multivitamin will help as well of course, but these days I put my trust in HAART not supplements which may or may not do anything.

In any case HAART gives results so dramatic as to HIV that it totally blows any supplement I know of off the planet.

03/10 VL >100,000, CD4 275
Started Viramune/Truvada
05/10 VL 606, CD4 438

Offline sam66

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 10:41:56 am »
 Hi All

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but will post it here as it may have some relevance to this topic.

During last 4 months I have been drinking Astragalus tea ( boiled root ) everyday.

I had my blood test results today, to my delight, there is increase of 207 of my CD4 count. From 470  six months ago to 677 today.

At the time of my diagnosis my CD4 count was 274 ( dec. 2007 ).  I went on ARV's 2 months after, within 3 months my CD4's went up to 420.
For the last two and half years it was stable between 470 and 512 .

It may have been pure coincidence the sudden increase and me drinking Astragalus tea.

My question is , is it normall to see such increases in CD4's in six months, if it is can I also expect to see a drop by a similar amount at some time?

Thanks Sam.

Offline wizardofaz

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 09:13:11 am »
Please, point out to me one piece of peer reviewed research from a controlled clinical trial that shows that astagalus conclusively has beneficial effects on the health of those with HIV.

I'm waiting.....

Somehow asking for evidence and pointing out there is none makes me a troll.  ::)

Astragalosides from Egyptian Astragalus spinosus Vahl.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8101992

The effect of Echinacea purpurea, Astragalus membranaceus and Glycyrrhiza glabra on CD25 expression in humans: a pilot study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661330

Astragalus membranaceus injection delayed allograft survival related with CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21094858

These are only a few "peer related" posts on pubmed.  Use the search feature to find "astragalus AND hiv" and you find 8 references.  Use "astragalus AND t-cell" and you'll have 59 articles to review.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:03:56 am »

The effect of Echinacea purpurea, Astragalus membranaceus and Glycyrrhiza glabra on CD25 expression in humans: a pilot study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661330

I just wanted to point out that it does not appear any of the test subjects in this study were hiv positive. I rather doubt any were as Echinacea is not recommended for hiv positive individuals.

As for the other two studies, it appears that the only humans involved were the researchers. Just sayin'.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline surf18

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:14 pm »
i have been taking astragalous tablets for months now. they didnt do shit for my cd count on my test before the one i just took. in fact they dropped. so i gave it 3 more months and we will see what happens on this next blood test and then ill decide if i still will take them.

Offline sam66

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:16 am »
   Aidsmeds, Treatment news , Top Stories  : November 10  ,  2008

"November 10, 2008

Astragalus Extract May Strengthen Immune Response to HIV

An extract from a plant used in traditional Chinese medicine may help protect the genes of immune system cells and, as a result, enhance their ability to fight HIV, according to a new study announced by the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and published in The Journal of Immunology.

When cells reproduce, their DNA gets capped at the ends by long repeated strands of genes called telomeres. Telomeres protect the genes, much like the plastic tips on the ends of shoelaces. Unfortunately, telomeres get shorter every time a cell reproduces, which ultimately causes the cells to become “exhausted” and to stop functioning properly. This occurs naturally as a person ages, but more rapidly in the HIV-fighting CD4 and CD8 cells of people with HIV.

One of the lead researchers in telomeres and HIV, Rita Effros, PhD, and her colleague Steven Russell Fauce, PhD, of the department of pathology at UCLA, had experimented with gene therapy as a way to keep telomeres from shortening. But ultimately the researchers turned to what could potentially be a much less expensive method: an extract from the medicinal plant astragalus.

According to Effros and Fauce, the extract, TAT2, keeps an enzyme called telomerase turned on. CD4s and CD8s can naturally produce telomerase, which helps keep telomeres from shortening, but only for so long. After a cell has divided too many times, the telomerase gene turns off.

In test tube experiments, Effros and Fauce exposed CD4 and CD8 cells collected from HIV-positive patients to TAT2. Not only did the substance slow the shortening of the cells’ telomeres, but it also increased the cells’ production of proteins known to inhibit HIV replication.

While studies of TAT2 have not yet been conducted in people, the authors believe the strategy “could be useful in treating HIV disease, as well as immunodeficiency and increased susceptibility to other viral infections associated with chronic diseases or aging.”

Search: Astragalus, TAT2, Rita Effros, Steven Russel Fauce, UCLA, telomeres, telomerase, DNA

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_astragalus_telomere_1667_15595.shtml
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:54:52 am by sam66 »

Offline sam66

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:39:02 am »

I'm waiting.....

Efficacy and safety of zidovudine and zalcitabine combined with a combination of herbs in the treatment of HIV-infected Thai patients.

Sangkitporn S, Shide L, Klinbuayaem V, Leenasirimakul P, Wirayutwatthana NA, Leechanachai P, Dettrairat S, Kunachiwa W, Thamlikitkul V.
Source

Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Abstract

A randomized double blind placebo controlled trial to determine the efficacy and safety of combined-herbs (SH including Astragalus) given with zidovudine (ZDV) and zalcitabine (ddC) for the treatment of HIV infection in Thai adults was conducted in 3 hospitals in northern Thailand during 2002 to 2003. The eligible subjects were HIV-infected Thai adults who had never received anti-retrovirals, had a Karnofski Performance Score (KPS) of > or = 70, and had no opportunistic infections. The subjects were randomized to receive either a combination of ZDV 200 mg three times per day, ddC 0.75 mg three times per day, and SH 2.5 g three times per day or a combination of ZDV 200 mg three times per day, ddC 0.75 mg three times per day, and placebo 2.5 g three times per day for 24 weeks. The main outcome measures were HIV-RNA, CD4 cells, and blood chemistry profiles prior to the treatment and then every 4 weeks for 24 weeks. The baseline characteristics of 60 evaluable subjects, 40 in the SH group and 20 in the placebo group, were not significantly different. HIV RNA at week 4 and thereafter was significantly decreased from the baseline value in both groups (p<0.001). However, the decline in HIV RNA in the SH group was significantly more than that in the placebo group. The CD4 cells in the SH group at week 12 and thereafter were significantly increased from the baseline value. Serious adverse events in the two groups were not observed.
 It is concluded that an addition of SH herbs to two nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors has greater antiviral activity than antiretrovirals only. The SH herbs may be an alternative for the third anti-retroviral agent in the triple drug regimen for the treatment of HIV infected patients in countries with limited resources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16124442

PubMed
U.S. National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
A randomized double blind placebo controlled trial to determine the efficacy and safety of combined-herbs (SH including Astragalus) given with zidovudine (ZDV) and zalcitabine (ddC) for the treatment of HIV infection in Thai adults was conducted in 3 hospitals in northern Thailand during 2002 to 2003. The eligible subjects were HIV-infected Thai adults who had never received anti-retrovirals, had a Karnofski Performance Score (KPS) of > or = 70, and had no opportunistic infections. The subjects were randomized to receive either a combination of ZDV 200 mg three times per day, ddC 0.75 mg three times per day, and SH 2.5 g three times per day or a combination of ZDV 200 mg three times per day, ddC 0.75 mg three times per day, and placebo 2.5 g three times per day for 24 weeks.

Not trying to be contrary, but how many people are still taking Retrovir and ddC these days?
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline sam66

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 05:31:58 am »
Not trying to be contrary, but how many people are still taking Retrovir and ddC these days?

I'm waiting.....

Point was it has been tested on HIV +ve people
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:44:10 am by sam66 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.