Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:46:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 507
Total: 508

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's That Time Of Year Again  (Read 16982 times)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
It's That Time Of Year Again
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:59:27 am »
Ok Everybody...It's Flu shot time  ;)

Getting mine on Wednesday, like to see a roll call !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
Re: It's That Time Of Year Again
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »
Mine due on 26th oct.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »
Mine booked in at my clinic for next Thursday
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lightfighter

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:03:00 pm »
Should be fairly soon after 1 Oct. Army thing. They have to give it to me.

Offline Delby

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:15:31 am »
There seems to be a lot of research that suggests the flu jab doesn't provide any role in vaccinating you against flu and to the contrary it may be bad for us.

I'm not saying the above is true, but just wondered what you think and does everyone on here get their annual flu jab or do others choose not to?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:38:43 am »
There seems to be a lot of research that suggests the flu jab doesn't provide any role in vaccinating you against flu and to the contrary it may be bad for us.

Sure flu jab is not 100% effective but on the 2nd part regarding it being bad update the thread and show us links to published research and than I will know what i am commenting on.

Thanks

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:54 am »

I'm not saying the above is true, but just wondered what you think and does everyone on here get their annual flu jab or do others choose not to?
don't fall for anti-vaxxer nonsense. Actually there is NOT a lot of research that goes against the flu shot, so it's very good that you didn't say what you wrote was true. ;) The actual research however does show that the flu shot is recommended for everyone - especially those older than 50 and those with chronic health issues (especially immune-compromised patients with HIV).

the HRSA (Health Resources and Services Administration) HAB (HIV/AIDS Bureau) quality care measurement is for 100% of HIV+ patients aged 6 months and older seen for a visit between October 1 and March 31
“Annual vaccination against influenza is recommended for….adults and children who have
immunosuppression (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by human
immunodeficiency virus).”
http://hab.hrsa.gov/deliverhivaidscare/allagesmeasures.pdf

recent studies show vaccine reduces the risk of flu illness by about 50%  to 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are like the vaccine viruses.
A 2014 study* showed that flu vaccine reduced children’s risk of flu-related pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) admission by 74% during flu seasons from 2010-2012.
Another study published in the summer of 2016 showed that people 50 years and older who got a flu vaccine reduced their risk of getting hospitalized from flu by 57%.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

An August 27, 2010 MMWR report entitled “ Thompson MG et al. Updated Estimates of Mortality Associated with Seasonal Influenza through the 2006-2007 Influenza Season. MMWR 2010; 59(33): 1057-1062.," provides updated estimates of the range of flu-associated deaths that occurred in the United States during the three decades prior to 2007. CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people. Death certificate data and weekly influenza virus surveillance information was used to estimate how many flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death was listed as respiratory or circulatory disease on their death certificate.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

more flu information: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:13 am »

Wow -- must be a record!  Only 4 posts this year before someone started "doubting" the flu vaccine.  It's laughable when people pull out the "many people are saying" and "seems to be lots of research", but no facts or data are ever included.  ::)

So -- if you aren't saying it's true, why even take the time to type that nonsense out here?

The flu shot affords protection (not absolute, but some) against a disease that kills thousands each year.

Will be getting mine this week.

Mike

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:10:20 am »
Get it every year. For decades. Multiple doctors in 3 countries have encouraged me to get it.  They have medical degrees.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »
It's not just preventing flu. It can never be 100% as the formulation is based on what strains are 'expected' to be circulating, and like any prediction it may not be completely accurate.

But what appeals to me also, is the reported effect that where it doesn't prevent a particular strain, it seems to make the symptoms milder and shorter-lasting that it would ordinarily be.

I've not had one before, but my company used to give coupons out for staff to get free flu jabs, as presumably it is in their interests to reduce absence. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but is it absolutely beneficial for us...yes.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 02:42:12 pm »
Wow -- must be a record!  Only 4 posts this year before someone started "doubting" the flu vaccine.

As soon as I saw the thread I was waiting for it, but yeah 4 post in is very fast.

I've not had one before, but my company used to give coupons out for staff to get free flu jabs, as presumably it is in their interests to reduce absence. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but is it absolutely beneficial for us...yes.

The current place I work also does it for free to drive down the sick days, but the clinc will also do it for free.

Not sure about the UK anymore ??, At some stage boots did them.. I know boots still does them here but in Boots we have to pay an admin fee not the full price. (At least that was the case the last time I did it in Boots)

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »
Not sure about the UK anymore ??, At some stage boots did them.. I know boots still does them here but in Boots we have to pay an admin fee not the full price. (At least that was the case the last time I did it in Boots)

I know that a year or two back a few people had problems in Boots, as they ask you to fill in a form and one of the questions is whether you have any condition which suppressed the immune system, including HIV. The problem was that if you ticked this box they would refuse to administer the jab and instead ask you to go to your GP! I think that was an administration cock-up by the company and has been resolved, but would make me wary about going there for it as getting into a conversation with some Boots staffer about my little passenger isn't particularly appealing.

Thankfully my HIV clinic can administer the jab, so just getting it done there.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bartlett

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 02:11:10 pm »
Mine is scheduled with my next appointment in December. Along with the last of whatever other shots they decided I needed (spread over 3 visits.)
DX 1/25/16
3/30/16 - CD4 368 20% VL: 48k
6/7/16 - RX for Genvoya
7/25/16 - VL: <20; CD4 461/17%
11/28/16 - VL: UD; CD4 357/19%
3/20/17 - VL: UD; CD4 489 / 22%
7/24/17 - VL: UD; CD4 449 / 23%
11/21/17 - VL:UD; CD4 523 / 22%
3/27/18 - VL: UD; CD4 580/21%
7/31/18 - VL: 90 ; CD4 552/23%
10/31/18 - VL: UD; CD4 502/29%
01/18/19 - VL: 30; CD4 518/34%
04/29/19 - VL: UD; CD4 707/27%
7/16/19 - VL: UD; CD4 497/27%
12/4/19 - VL: UD; CD4 527/29%
04/6/20 - VL: UD; CD4 668/27%
4/1/21 - VL: UD; CD4 470/29%

Offline AJ68

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:34 pm »
Unfortunately my clinic in the uk doesnt do it. But apparently you can get it from most phatmacies for 10 quid. Worth it as i would think.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »
Unfortunately my clinic in the uk doesnt do it. But apparently you can get it from most phatmacies for 10 quid. Worth it as i would think.

Always find it interesting that there are so many regional variations in the UK, as my clinic DO offer it.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
I know that a year or two back a few people had problems in Boots, as they ask you to fill in a form and one of the questions is whether you have any condition which suppressed the immune system, including HIV. The problem was that if you ticked this box they would refuse to administer the jab and instead ask you to go to your GP! I think that was an administration cock-up by the company and has been resolved, but would make me wary about going there for it as getting into a conversation with some Boots staffer about my little passenger isn't particularly appealing.

Thankfully my HIV clinic can administer the jab, so just getting it done there.

Hmm I recall filling out a form that asked, but experienced no problems myself.

I did once in boots get the hump and drop by trousers in the store in front view of the counter staff, see they are very annoying at times asking what the prescription is for in front of everyone, so i decided to help cure them of this behavior of asking me what a doctor has already evaluated by simply showing them.  ;D I had a short temper when i was in my 20's.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:23 pm »

Boots for free no ?
http://www.boots.com/en/_1539793

Boots may be able to provide a free NHS jab if you are registered with a GP in England or Wales and you are one of the following:
Aged 65 and over (or will turn 65 by 31 March 2017)
Pregnant
Have a certain medical condition such as:
Diabetes
Lung disease, including asthma if you're on a preventer inhaler
Heart disease
Kidney disease
Liver disease
Lowered immunity due to disease (e.g. HIV) or treatment (e.g. steroid medication or cancer treatment) or you have had your spleen removed
Neurological disease

Read more at http://www.boots.com/en/_1539793#DgchCmiVHig8ldHr.99

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline AJ68

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:23 pm »
 jim definitely so  but point i was trying to make was that one should get the jab irrespective.

Cheers

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:15 pm »
Yeah, very surprised your clinc does not offer it.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline AJ68

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28:46 pm »
Was as well given its the leading hospital in london but so be it.....its recommended and thats whats important to me....hope fully tje first flu free winter in 3 yeRs!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:23 pm »
Got mine today!  Nothing says "summer is over" quite like a flu shot!!  Ah well, I'm not closing the pool for another month, so........

M

Offline Rick Day

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 07:45:48 am »
... does everyone on here get their annual flu jab or do others choose not to?

I have never had a flu shot. I'm 48 years old. My entire life, except one time, I would only get the "24 hour flu" that literally lasted a day or two (usually a single day). That one time, I was very sick. It lasted a week. I suspect that it was when I contracted HIV. (I quit smoking cigs after that, because it took me another week to recover. After 2 weeks of not smoking, quitting was easy.)

I have my semi-annual appointment with my local CRNP next week. (She is the one who first convinced me to get treated for HIV.) I'm going to discuss this with her and see what she recommends. I've had HIV since at least 2009 without treatment (see my sig for details), but I'm also approaching 50 years on this Earth.

I am not suggesting that anyone else should not get their flu shot. And I am not looking to start an argument. I see my situation as an anomaly. I am posting this because I firmly believe that good discussions help us all make better decisions, and because I firmly believe that honesty is the most important thing we can offer to others. So to the folks out there who are fence-sitters, trying to decide whether to get a flu shot, please get it!! Unless one has made you sick in the past, you are much more likely to be better off with one than without one, according to almost all medical professionals.

One more point I want to make about me not getting a flu shot in the past.... I could easily follow my own advice and get one. But that is one less in circulation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:08:06 am by Rick Day »
I found out that I am poz in Oct 2009, but I did not seek treatment until Jan 2016. Within 7 months, I became target not detected! (How awesome is that!?!)

I am treated through the 1917 clinic in Birmingham, AL, which is partially funded by the Ryan White Foundation. The clinic is part of the UAB Health System.

I am taking Descovy and Tivicay daily. My HIV clinic CRNP started me on Truvada, then switched me to Descovy right after it was approved and released. (She said it is supposed to be a better version that removes the long-term effects that some have experienced with Truvada. Plus, Descovy is a smaller pill!! 😉)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 09:28:41 am »
Got mine today!  Nothing says "summer is over" quite like a flu shot!!  Ah well, I'm not closing the pool for another month, so........
I've still got my pool open in SC too! I opened it nearly a month earlier than normal and I may get an extra month yet because it looks like the warm weather will be continuing for a while.

I got my flu shot yesterday from my new doctor. The shot site is still a little tender this morning; but the vaccine seems to be working as I don't have the flu today.  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 09:51:45 am »
I've still got my pool open in SC too! I opened it nearly a month earlier than normal and I may get an extra month yet because it looks like the warm weather will be continuing for a while.

I got my flu shot yesterday from my new doctor. The shot site is still a little tender this morning; but the vaccine seems to be working as I don't have the flu today.  ;D

LOL...I didn't the flu either.
No pool here it is alreadt going into the 50s at night, but both you guys are farther south.
Enjoy it while it lasts... 8)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 03:36:46 pm »
I just saw Dr. Gallant address timing, which is something I've always wondered.  I have also read those getting it in August and September may have waning immunity by the time flu really hits.  I got mine last year at the beginning of November, so thought I would just wait until then.  Of course, flu could hit early, but it usually hits hard after Thanksgiving to March.

He said--

"The best time to get a flu shot is October or November. If you get vaccinated too early, you may lose immunity during flu season. If you wait too long, you may not have immunity when flu season hits." 

But I know many forget or put it off and off.  So for those who are bad about remembering and would normally prefer to wait until October or November, it would be better to just get it now, if offered or thinking about it.  I am confused why the vaccine would possibly wane so quickly, when we get other vaccines that last years to even lifetimes. 

http://hivforum.tumblr.com

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 08:59:57 pm »
Of course, we are only a couple of weeks away from October, so it's kinda hard to have it *too* early :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 09:10:48 pm »
I have never had a flu shot. I'm 48 years old. My entire life, except one time, I would only get the "24 hour flu" that literally lasted a day or two (usually a single day). That one time, I was very sick. It lasted a week. I suspect that it was when I contracted HIV. (I quit smoking cigs after that, because it took me another week to recover. After 2 weeks of not smoking, quitting was easy.)

I have my semi-annual appointment with my local CRNP next week. (She is the one who first convinced me to get treated for HIV.) I'm going to discuss this with her and see what she recommends. I've had HIV since at least 2009 without treatment (see my sig for details), but I'm also approaching 50 years on this Earth.

I think this is true for most people. Not everyone has experienced a REALLY bad flu. I certainly haven't. A day or two at most, and even then it's been comparatively mild and may not have strictly speaking been flu but closer to a really bad head-cold with associated chills, muscle pain etc. I've never had a flu shot in my life either.

But some people DO get bad flu, and many get complications from it (I'm thinking principally about pneumonia here), and given my HIV status then it's a complete no-brainer to get it done. Sods law, not getting it done will mean I finally get him by the 'big one' and for the sake of a quick prick in the arm it's simply not worth the risk.

Actually Hilary Clinton brought this home more than ever this week given she was laid up with pneumonia. Her medical summary showed that, like HIV folk, she is vaccinated with the pnuemovax/prevnar vaccine but it showed that it doesn't always work and as I say, given it can be a complication of flu (not in Hilary's case of course) then it makes it more imperative for those of us living with the virus.

But it's your life and your decision whether to have the shot or not. But you are on effective treatment now so taking a risk with something that could potentially kill you....well, like I say - it's your choice.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:23 pm »
If you've had "mild flu" in the past - then you didn't have the flu (unless it was a mild case because you had the flu vaccine to help your immune system fight it).  When you get infected with influenza -- YOU KNOW IT.  You are bedridden -- feel like you've been hit by a large 2x4.

So many people say that they have the "flu" when in fact they have a cold or some other virus.  There is no "24 hr flu".

Everyone should get the shot -- unless it's contraindicated because of past issues or allergies.  It helps you and it helps everyone around you.

Mike

Offline bocker3

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:56 pm »
I just saw Dr. Gallant address timing, which is something I've always wondered.  I have also read those getting it in August and September may have waning immunity by the time flu really hits.  I got mine last year at the beginning of November, so thought I would just wait until then.  Of course, flu could hit early, but it usually hits hard after Thanksgiving to March.

He said--

"The best time to get a flu shot is October or November. If you get vaccinated too early, you may lose immunity during flu season. If you wait too long, you may not have immunity when flu season hits." 

But I know many forget or put it off and off.  So for those who are bad about remembering and would normally prefer to wait until October or November, it would be better to just get it now, if offered or thinking about it.  I am confused why the vaccine would possibly wane so quickly, when we get other vaccines that last years to even lifetimes. 

http://hivforum.tumblr.com

Ted,

Maybe you should check this out:  http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Already widespread flu in NY and regional outbreaks in New England, PA and KY (you are in Louisville, right?).  So, I might be less worried about "waning" immunity in Feb, if I were you!

Mike

Offline Rick Day

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 01:17:21 am »
If you've had "mild flu" in the past - then you didn't have the flu (unless it was a mild case because you had the flu vaccine to help your immune system fight it).  When you get infected with influenza -- YOU KNOW IT.  You are bedridden -- feel like you've been hit by a large 2x4.

So many people say that they have the "flu" when in fact they have a cold or some other virus.  There is no "24 hr flu".

Everyone should get the shot -- unless it's contraindicated because of past issues or allergies.  It helps you and it helps everyone around you.

Mike

I think this is true for most people. Not everyone has experienced a REALLY bad flu. I certainly haven't. A day or two at most, and even then it's been comparatively mild and may not have strictly speaking been flu but closer to a really bad head-cold with associated chills, muscle pain etc. I've never had a flu shot in my life either.

But some people DO get bad flu, and many get complications from it (I'm thinking principally about pneumonia here), and given my HIV status then it's a complete no-brainer to get it done. Sods law, not getting it done will mean I finally get him by the 'big one' and for the sake of a quick prick in the arm it's simply not worth the risk.
I'm not talking about a mild illness. The 24 hour flu is absolutely real. I've had it a lot, that feeling of being run over by a steamroller. As a kid, I'd hallucinate (mostly large collections of spots moving along walls like waterfalls), and I'd run 102 degree temps at it's peak. Couldn't move, eat, or hardly speak. The older I got, the lesser my experiences.

Actually Hilary Clinton brought this home more than ever this week given she was laid up with pneumonia.
I think she is in a very different situation, one that only a very few people ever experience. She must be working 15 or more hours a day, most days, for the last year or so. She travels everywhere, and probably sleeps on a bus often. Plus, I can't imagine how many hands she shakes and babies she kisses! Oh, the germs she must pick up, every single day….
I found out that I am poz in Oct 2009, but I did not seek treatment until Jan 2016. Within 7 months, I became target not detected! (How awesome is that!?!)

I am treated through the 1917 clinic in Birmingham, AL, which is partially funded by the Ryan White Foundation. The clinic is part of the UAB Health System.

I am taking Descovy and Tivicay daily. My HIV clinic CRNP started me on Truvada, then switched me to Descovy right after it was approved and released. (She said it is supposed to be a better version that removes the long-term effects that some have experienced with Truvada. Plus, Descovy is a smaller pill!! 😉)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 03:39:44 am »
Ted,

Maybe you should check this out:  http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Already widespread flu in NY and regional outbreaks in New England, PA and KY (you are in Louisville, right?).  So, I might be less worried about "waning" immunity in Feb, if I were you!

Mike

The map on that link says "week ending May 21, 2016." 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 04:06:09 am »
Hi Rick,

Just a small comment. To my knowledge there is no such thing as 24 hour influenza (flu), so unless you can provide scientific information to back it perhaps we should just leave it at that and not mention it again in this thread.  Thank you.

Glad to hear however that in your personal experience you don't get sick or have not suffered from flu. Now I hope you remain so lucky. The Flu vaccine is just one preventive measure that can help people to remain healthy but it is your own choice if you wish to avail from this or not and I wish you all the best with that.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:08:12 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 07:54:59 am »
I GOT MY FLU SHOT TODAY!!!!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
Not getting one!  The last time I got the HIV vaccine, it gave me AIDS. ::)

JK, I'll be getting mine in early November.  :)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 10:48:31 am »
The map on that link says "week ending May 21, 2016."

Oh -- hahaha, the devil's in the detail!!

M

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 11:05:41 am »
I just keep it simple ...when the shot becomes available I get it.

OH... and I can attest to what Bocker has said. When you get the flu you know it.
I missed my shot about a decade back , and I got the flu , I was not able to stay out of bed for 3 days and was sick for a week and a half.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
I just keep it simple ...when the shot becomes available I get it.

Exactly.  I mean you could hold off for fear of waning protection that POSSIBLY gets you a milder case of the flu next spring.  Of course, then you risk possibly getting a full-on case of the flu if it hits early.  I'll take my risk for milder case later rather than a full case now, any day of the week.

I chalk this all up to over-thinking  -  get the flu shot, when you can, and go about your life.

Offline Rick Day

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:40 am »
Hi Rick,

Just a small comment. To my knowledge there is no such thing as 24 hour influenza (flu), so unless you can provide scientific information to back it perhaps we should just leave it at that and not mention it again in this thread.  Thank you.

Glad to hear however that in your personal experience you don't get sick or have not suffered from flu. Now I hope you remain so lucky. The Flu vaccine is just one preventive measure that can help people to remain healthy but it is your own choice if you wish to avail from this or not and I wish you all the best with that.

Jim
Really? You are actually going to insult me?? And you're an administrator???

Do you have scientific evidence that there is no such thing as the 24-hour flu?

I'm here to have intelligent discussions, not to put people down for the things they say.

When you say, "Glad to hear however that in your personal experience you don't get sick or have not suffered from flu," I suggest that you scroll back down and read my actual words. I get sick. I have suffered. I described EXACTLY what I have been through, and it is not something to take lightly.

I just joined this "community." Is this what I should expect from poz.com???

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:08 am »
Rick,

Its simple really you are the one coming into this thread claiming that 24 hour flu is real. So I am asking you to provide references for this or to drop it if you can't.

The rest of your posts are mainly just personal stories and you say your looking for discussion, well I am not going to discuss anecdotal accounts vs facts with regards to flu vaccines.

I am going to ask you not to post in this topic again. Thank you.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:40:42 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 06:39:07 am »
Hi,
Last year i took the vaccine at everyone`s advice (here and doc) and i am glad i did! It seems i just got it (probably from the kids) and the symptoms are much milder than they used to be pre-flu vaccine for me.
I need to get a new one - not sure when my "year" is due - need to check the records.
Anyway, glad i got it!
Of course, the mid plays games and i`m thinking to myself "is it only the flu? Maybe it is something else? Zika?" hahahahahaha - why cant i follow my own cool level-headed advice that i give to others? :-)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 07:14:15 am »
I need to get a new one - not sure when my "year" is due - need to check the records.
because there are so many flu strains and they change from year to year which ones are more dominant, the flu shot is a yearly treatment. So, there are no records to check ;) because every year is the year to get the flu vaccine.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 08:39:41 am »
Flu is probably one of the most commonly confused illnesses, and I think it stems from the broad spectrum of symptoms ('Flu-like symptoms') and how they manifest in so many other conditions.

'Flu' in it's purest sense, is infection with one of the Influenza viruses. From all accounts, it is pretty hideous and literally lays people up for days. I've heard it said that 'You know you have the flu if someone were to tell you there was a million pounds in a case at the bottom of the garden and you still wouldn't be able to get up to collect it'.

It's the reason I'm not completely sure I've ever actually had flu.

That said, '24-hour flu' is a common term that is widely used so from that perspective it absolutely DOES exist as a 'thing' that people experience. The fly in the ointment is that it is unlikely to actually be caused by the influenza virus and therefore is a technically incorrect term for it. It certainly gives similar symptoms to flu, but is likely caused by a stomach virus or a head-cold or something similar. As the name suggests it is usually far milder and more short-lived.

The moral to all this is that flu is not something to be messed with, and experience of '24-hr flu' is irrelevant as it is almost certainly something else entirely. Enough evidence, including mortality stats, exists as to the dangers of (real) flu - especially to certain demographics - that choosing not to get the flu vaccine is really not a smart thing to do.

In defence of Rick, I think '24hr flu' is in common enough usage for it to be a valid descriptor of prior symptoms. I've used the term myself in the past.

In defence of Jim, this thread is about the flu vaccine to prevent or lessen the impact of the Influenza virus, and so it is appropriate to disregard '24hr flu' as a separate issue which should not influence anyone's decision to proceed with vaccination, unless there is evidence provided that the 24-hr variant is actually caused by the Influenza virus.

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 09:08:19 am »
24 hour flu is a common term used to indicate a a stomach virus (Gastroenteritis).  It is NOT caused by the influenza virus and therefore has no correlation with this thread.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2016, 07:55:54 am »
@Rick,

Your post was deleted and I have given you a 7 day time out for ignoring the mod teams instructions and when you come back please do not post in this thread again. Also I have extended the ban to 30 days for the abusive email/pm you sent.

If you post, pm, email or message any member of this forum, either a regular member or someone from the mod team like that again it will be a permanent ban.

I asked you to either provide a reference of your claims or to leave it. Instead of backing up your claim and/or just following this simply request you did not. Finally you sent an abusive communication and your final post also did not meet the requested standard and was against the mod instructions given to you in the first place.

Jim

We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

On that note Moderator decisions to time-out or ban a member of these forums are joint decisions and are thoroughly discussed beforehand. We sincerely hope that warnings, TOs and bans will be exceptional, rare occurrences.

Threatening or harassing the moderators of the Forums will not be tolerated and The ability to use Private Messages (PMs) in these forums is a privilege, not a right.

Using PMs as a means to abuse or personally attack other members will NOT be tolerated. http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=277.0

Ill add as comment:

24 hour flu is a common term used to indicate a a stomach virus (Gastroenteritis).  It is NOT caused by the influenza virus and therefore has no correlation with this thread.

Rick, it is very simple. I think the above summary from one of the more Sr. forum members is very clear.

This is a serious topic on the flu vaccine and linking illnesses and confusing the topic with unrelated illnesses not covered by the flu shot is not welcome. I don't mind discussion but you need to back it up and you can't. This is a serious section of the forum.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 02:44:31 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Will2015

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 02:48:04 pm »
Hi, just a couple of simple questions... If the cd4 count is high ( > 200 or more?  ) is the patient considered immuno compromised ?

I asked about the flu vaccine at a pharmacy and the farmacist looked stupid and sayd it's way too early for it. When should I do it? Last year I took it in Nov, this year was thinking to get it sooner... Ok? Not ok?

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 03:51:09 pm »
Hi, just a couple of simple questions... If the cd4 count is high ( > 200 or more?  ) is the patient considered immuno compromised ?

Good question and I've pondered the same thing myself, although I'm not sure I'd go so far as to describe a CD4 of > 200 'high' :)

I've wondered if in the era of effective medication, UD status and high (ie. normal range) CD4, whether the risks from flu are significantly higher than that of the general population.

I am guessing that a serious bout of flu can temporarily knock the immune system down and this could present a risk of OI's, but thats only a hunch.

Either way, it makes 100% sense to get it done. I know plenty of HIV- folk who are not in 'high risk' groups who also get the flu jab too.

I asked about the flu vaccine at a pharmacy and the farmacist looked stupid and sayd it's way too early for it. When should I do it? Last year I took it in Nov, this year was thinking to get it sooner... Ok? Not ok?

Don't know about where you live, but over here there is a lot of talk about it right now and my clinic are willing to give me it. So certainly not 'way too early'.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 04:24:42 pm »
In my opinion -- if the vaccine is available, then it's not "too soon" for it.

As for CD count -- there is a risk with a lower count that one may not respond as well to the vaccine, thus getting "less protection".  Would seem to me (though I'm not a doctor) that whether low or high, one should get it -- if low, maybe even more important.  "less protection" is still better than none!!!!

There are people who feel that if they aren't in a high-risk group, then they don't need the shot.  Well, one never knows how influenza is going to react with you.  During the great Flu Pandemic of 1918, many / most deaths were in the "healthy" folks, aged 20's, 30's, 40's (the thought was the immune system went overboard in combating this strain of flu and most of these folks pretty much drowned from lung secretions)  Anyway, I digress........

One should get the flu shot for yourself, as well as for those around you.  Some people can't take the vaccine for one reason or another.  If enough people get vaccinated, then they can be protected via "herd immunity".  Meaning, enough folks around them are vaccinated, so the flu isn't likely to come near them.

Mike

Offline FES

• Regain health and stay healthy for a long life!
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 09:47:10 pm »
Flu shot and pneumonia shot received on September 15th.  The flu has already had 10 confirmed cases by the state in my area, sounds like it maybe a rough year.  I receive the vaccine every years and I was a bit concerned this time since I was newly diagnosed and my CD4 was at 177 however after talking to my provider she explained that it was not going to hurt me simply because the vaccine is only a dead virus in the shots.  Now she did say for me to NEVER take the nose mist because of it being alive.  I think I had read some where that the mist was not even going to be distributed but I could be wrong on that statement. 

I was a little tired for about 3 days after the shoot but feel great again.  That is what it was always like for the past 15 years for me.  So go vaccine and stay safe!

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »
I received my flu shot today.  I've got to make sure I remain well, so I can continue to help moderate these (forum) boards ;)

Reminder everyone:  get your annual flu shot and, if you're over 50, remember to get your pneumonia shot every fifth year!

Stay healthy and let's do our part to increase HIV-positive life expectancy! 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:38 pm »
i got my first flu shot in my life today :)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 07:40:11 pm »
Congratulations!  Good deal.  Now, make sure you get one every year on the date you lost your flu-shot virginity! ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »
lol, will note the date for sure thanks :) will loose another virginity day after tomorrow for the pmeumovax vaccine ( but they told me this is to be repeated every 5 years? )

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »
Yes, every five years for the pneumonia vaccine (primarily given to folks over the age of 50).
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lightfighter

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »
Got my flu shot Wednesday. It's number 20 in a row.

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2016, 03:19:57 pm »
I`m a panting virgin in an advanced state of wantonness - mine`s due on the 28th.If it wasn`t for work considerations i`d be there this week.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »
Had mine done on Friday. All good.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline wolfter

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:16 am »
Certainly glad I got my shot in time.  I've been exposed to numerous people whom didn't stay home while actively suffering.  Several eventually went to their doctors that told them what they already knew.  Seems like our entire community is in an outbreak.  :( 

I spent the holiday weekend feeling like crap.  My symptoms were more mild than most but it was awful.  Feeling a little better today but not up to par yet.  At least I limited my exposure to others while ailing.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.