Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:53:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Changing jobs - What should I do?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline contagion

Changing jobs - What should I do?
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:47:36 am »
Hi,
I'm changing jobs and thus insurance soon. I don't expect the gap between the two jobs to be more than a week. My new company says it takes 30 days for them to provide benefits. (not sure why, but I'm sure it is just a disclaimer). I've managed to get 2 months of meds from my current provider. I'm planning to order a generic verison of Atripla from one of the online pharmacies (any recommendations?) just as a backup. Do I need to do anything else? A friend told me I won't require Cobra.
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Changing jobs - What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »
Well, you would only need COBRA if you have expenses that you can't afford to cover during your brief period without insurance.  I believe that you have 60 days to apply and that, once you pay for it, your coverage goes back to the day your employer provided insurance ended.  So....  you can "roll the dice" and assume you won't need any for the week or weeks that you will be without coverage.  If something does come up, well, you can apply for the COBRA coverage then.

Mike

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
you seem to have your meds covered, but i would also be concerned about letting coverage lapse. you may want to clarify about the cobra, the scenario you describe basically says that for at least one week, you will not be insured. insurance companies love to use that type of thing against you. however, as rapidly as laws have been changing, i really don't know.

Offline contagion

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:50:57 am »
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I'm concerned about not being covered by my new insurance company because I suddenly fall into the pre-exisitng condition clause.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:15:00 am »
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I'm concerned about not being covered by my new insurance company because I suddenly fall into the pre-exisitng condition clause.

Assuming that you've had insurance for at least a year and you do not go more than63 days uncovered, your new employer can NOT impose any pre- existing limitations on you.
You should ask your curreny employer / health insurer fora certificate of creditable coverage.  This will show you are not to be subject to pre- existing limitations ( assuming less than 63 days uncovered).

M

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »
Assuming that you've had insurance for at least a year and you do not go more than63 days uncovered, your new employer can NOT impose any pre- existing limitations on you.
You should ask your curreny employer / health insurer fora certificate of creditable coverage.  This will show you are not to be subject to pre- existing limitations ( assuming less than 63 days uncovered).

M

I am in the same situation where I am now between permanent jobs.  My employer covered (paid) health insurance will go for another 5 months and then I will switch to COBRA if I don't have another permanent job by then.

Incidentially, I found this pre-existing condition health care insurance coverage information link that you may find interesting from my freelancing group: http://finder.healthcare.gov/
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline contagion

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:50 am »
M
Thanks @bocker4 I've read that too ...but no where does it state what happens when you have not been covered for a year? I will be shy of just 5-7 days of a year of continuous coverage. I think it makes sense to push my join date so that I complete the year.

@onetampa thanks for the link!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »
Thanks @bocker4 I've read that too ...but no where does it state what happens when you have not been covered for a year? I will be shy of just 5-7 days of a year of continuous coverage. I think it makes sense to push my join date so that I complete the year.

@onetampa thanks for the link!

I thought, but could be wrong, they could only pose a pre-existing condition limitation for that time period that you are short.  Of course, if you just bite the bullet and pay for a month or two of COBRA coverage -- then you fill that small gap and are good!  Just remember to ask for that creditable coverage letter before you leave.
Additionally -- depending on your employer -- they may not even use pre-existing condition clauses.  I know that my employer does not.  All are different, and usually it is larger companies that simply forgo this, but it is possible.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.