Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:06:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 651
Total: 651

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Affordable Gay Neighborhoods  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Affordable Gay Neighborhoods
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:24 am »
Here is a mildly interesting article about affordable gay neighborhoods in some of America's larger and more expensive cities.   I'm not sure that some of the alternatives are so appealing:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/19/real_estate/gay-cities/index.htm

I know many of you here reside in these cities (e.g. Atlanta, Philadelphia, New York).

DISCUSS!
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Affordable Gay Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »
Huh, the Hudson Valley is a NYC "neighborhood".  Okidokey.  I know a NY lesbian couple who bought a vast stone house in Nesebar Bulgaria for a song.  Surely "Bulgaria's Dubrovnik" is the new hot gay neighborhood for NYC?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:17:33 pm »
Dupont Circle has been eclipsed by Logan now in DC?

http://www.borderstan.com/06/poll-wheres-the-dc-gay-neigborhood-in-2011/

As far as Philadelphia goes they missed out on the growing gay presence in both East Passyunk (where I live) and Northern Liberties. Not to mention Washington Square West is in Center City though they list them separately.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:55 pm »
Interesting that the word "affordable" is listed in the same context as gay neighborhoods as the general chat has been those areas are among the most expensive.  Good to see that there are reasonable prices out there.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:38:17 pm »
Well, of course, "reasonable price" is a relative term not to mention any such enclave quickly gentrifies and the prices go up very quickly. I'm now in my 23rd year of urban living and quick gentrification has happened in every neighborhood I've moved into, forcing me to move out when the prices go up. I've had five different apartments in that time span.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:13:17 pm »
Yeah so true. And some of my gay buddies really hit the jackpot playing the real estate investment in gentrifying neighborhoods game.  I never had the cash for down payments.  These were invariably couples, professionals, and mostly with one who has comfortable parents or an inheritance at the right time that provided the first down payments.  One couple did it really well through East Village, Park Slope, and FlatIron (ok the last wasn't so gay) and ended up with many millions in net worth by their mid 40's. 
Meanwhile I know some hanger ons still renting in the slope and paying up to 4x! their original rent, taken after college. 
Dreading that gentrification is going to hit my neighborhood in my Swiss city soon.  I've looked, impossible to find anything now like what I have for less than double. And in Geneva it would be 3x. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:15:06 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:41:42 pm »
Oh sure, if I had had the money I could have made a fortune several times over. That's five separate times in two cities that I spotted a neighborhood before it became gentrified. In fact, the first place I lived in Clinton Hills (downtown Brooklyn) in the mid-90's was actually in the upstairs apartment of these two older leather daddies that had enough for a down payment. In fact, they were going to buy this other crappy place and my roommate went with them house hunting and convinced them to buy this other place -- it was in a historic district but needed work. They got a grant for facade work, and did some interior work but nothing like needed to be done, yet in the span of 11 years they sold the place for something like $1.6 million. I think they payed $400,000 for it, but the two rental units on the upper floors payed the mortgage costs. Of course, instead of taking that money and reinvesting it either in the property or another one they spent it on meth and then split up when one discovered the temptations of manhunt.

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
Utterly dire!
But there are some nice stories too.  One of my landladies doubled my rent just ilke that. I was priced out and had to move. That was pretty shitty. On the other hand, she was a trini hairdresser who had bought the brownstone for nothing in the dogeared 70's and was planning to sell and retire back to Trinidad a millionairess, so the gentrification game worked well for her and her family! 

These sort of cheaply or thinly reported lifestyle reports aren't all that reliable for trends nor for what "affordable" means.  The NYT is the worst offender of course.

I dunno but back when I moved to NYC in the mid 80's people had a formula. It was "your rent should be 1/3 your take home salary".  That always seemed like a good way to estimate "affordable" but alas I'm sure its a ancient history pipe dream for many a working stiff in completely gentrified cities like NYC and SF.

This is why Berlin took off over 10 years ago, and supposedly, the rents are STILL affordable there. German salaries are kinda low, too, however. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:54:22 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »
The guy who wrote the Erik Rhodes obit wrote an obit about a gay nyc therapist and would be author who killed himself.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/fashion/the-life-and-death-of-the-therapist-bob-bergeron.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hp
There was a frank consideration of money and no longer unaffordable lifestyle expectations - after "divorce" - as perhaps a contributing factor:

One thing Mr. Bergeron didn’t discuss much was his relationship with Mr. Boute. Though the two were involved for 17 years, friends said it was an unhappy union for quite a while before it ended; that the main thing uniting Mr. Bergeron and Mr. Boute was a city that became more and more expensive to live in, a place where Mr. Bergeron’s annual income of around $150,000 was barely enough to support the kind of life he led.

“I think a lot of what kept them together was expenses,” said Walter Rappaport, a close friend of Mr. Bergeron who lives in Miami. “I think neither of them could have afforded their lifestyle if they weren’t together.”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.