Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:20:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 220
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 4th generation duo test  (Read 12899 times)

Offline Worriedsick2012

4th generation duo test
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:05 am »
I gave oral sex to a male and now I've had a sore throat for a 7 weeks. I took a finger prick test at 4 weeks and tested negative. I havent had a fever but I did have vomiting diahrea a rash on my face and hot and cold chills. I was on lots of antibiotics but nothing helped my throat. Now I am experiencing brain fog. What could be causing this?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: HIV from oral
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:45 am »
Worried,

We cannot possibly diagnose your sore throat or brain fog over the internet - but we can tell you that it's nothing to do with hiv.

Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

You need to see a doctor to find out what's going on. Get your throat swabbed, and don't forget to tell the doctor you've engaged in giving blowjobs so he or she can also swab you for oral gonorrhea and chlamydia. You may need a different antibiotic to the ones you have already taken.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:28 am »
I also wanted to know how accurate a rapid finger prick test is at 4 weeks? What other stds would cause a sore throat for that long? My symptoms have lasted about 6 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:59 am »
Worried,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. Where there has been an actual risk such as unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, a six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point.

If your sore throat had anything to do with seroconversion, you most likely would have tested either positive or indeterminate at four weeks. I do not expect your negative result to change if you test further over this incident.

I already mentioned the two STIs that could cause a sore throat - gonorrhea and/or chlamydia. These can also be present with no obvious symptoms.

You should know that gonorrhea is becoming increasingly antibiotic-resistant, so it's possible that if gonorrhea is the cause of your throat problems the antibiotics you took are ones it's resistant to.

You need to see a doctor about your sore throat. Whatever is going on isn't hiv.

Ann

PS - You said you've been "on lots of antibiotics". It's also possible that the antibiotics have caused you to develop oral thrush, which can cause a sore throat. It is very common to develop thrush when taking "lots of antibiotics" and taking more antibiotics will make it worse, not better. This is something else to discuss with your doctor.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:35:11 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:33 am »
If you had a real risk, which I hasten to say you did not, then for a conclusive negative result you need to test at 3 months. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk. So a negative result at 6 weeks would be more meaningful but not conclusive. Testing at 3 months is necessary to get that result.

Having said all of that I am going to repeat that you were not at risk. Nor is what is causing your symptoms necessarily an STD. You should be discussing your symptoms with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything in this setting. All we can with confidence say that HIV is not your problem.
Andy Velez

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:59 am »
Thanks for the advice. I am thankful for your help. I have just been feeling so sick and worried.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:12 am »
Worried,

Please re-read my last reply to you (reply #3). I edited my post to add more information concerning the possible cause for your sore throat and you may not have seen it.

Please talk to your doctor about your throat. It's not an hiv concern.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:12 am »
And just so you know for the future, the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you consistently use condoms for those activities you will be effectively protected.

Anything else sexual is only "theoretically" a risk. In the real world of HIV we know that risk is about unprotected intercourse. 
Andy Velez

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »
I started taking the antibiotics for a sore throat originally. It never got better so every time I went back they gave me something stronger. I finally went to an ENT the first time he gave me antacid medicine but it didn't help. The 2nd time he scoped my nose and throat and said that I have candida from the antibiotics and gave me some dissolvable tablets that you suck on. It seems to be helping a little but my throat is still red. I'm supposed to go back again in another week. That why I was wondering what could cause a sore throat for 7 weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:32:34 pm »
There is nothing more we can do for  you here. HIV is not your problem. Period.

So whatever is going on with you symptomatically is something to resolve with your doctor.

Frankly there is nothing more for us to discuss with you since HIV is not your issue, whether you believe it or not.
Andy Velez

Offline morningsun

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:14 pm »
Hello guys,

I know you are strongly sure about hiv risksful exposures being unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse and ann said that the virus is transferred within the confines of the two bodies. I have a question, is the mouth NOT considered to be inside the body?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »
The vagina and the anus do not contain something the mouth does have: saliva. And saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV if it is present.

You are worrying needlessly. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »
Thanks for the info. Has there ever been a confirmed case of HIV from giving just oral sex?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »
There have been many who claimed that was their only risk. Those claims never seem to hold up under careful scrutiny.

Is it possible to become infected through giving oral? Sure it is theoretically possible. But you're more likely to win the lottery or get struck by lightning.

Longterm studies have been conducted of both gay and straight sero discordant couples. They had lots of mutual unprotected oral and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. To date not a single seronegative partner has been infected.   
Andy Velez

Offline morningsun

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »

Sometimes I think well, if oral transmission was that possible, maybe half of the world would be infected dont you think? I mean and seriously, who gives head using condoms or barriers?

I mean, I've been thinking on this allot lately. Im 26 and I have never given head with the guy wearing a condom. Ive had cum in my mouth but since my teens I decided not to.

but anyway Ive been giving a though on getting as well into the habit of doing oral with condoms or barriers.

What do you think Andy?? Do you think that would be too much I mean, till now this is the only net source I see with so much confidence about the ineffectiveness of hiv transmision through oral sex. Youtube and the net in general are FILLED with messages regarding the risks of transmission through oral...

What to believe?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 04:52:58 pm »
Ultimately you have to decide what you are comfortable doing sexually.

I can tell you that giving oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. If it was a serious risk for transmission we would have known long before today and there would be many more HIV positive people than there are.

Personal opinion? As long as you don't have any freshly open wounds in your mouth I consider the risk to be theoretical rather than actual.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:22 am »
Morningsun,

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

This rule also applies to asking questions in other people's threads as well. You are ONLY permitted to ask questions or otherwise reply in YOUR OWN THREAD.

Keep posting in this thread - or ANYWHERE other than your own thread - and you WILL be given a time out.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:36 am »
I am having a procedure done today where I swallow chalk to help determine what's causing my sore throat. I am still experiencing brain fog where I can't concentrate or think clearly.

Offline Worriedsick2012

Sore throat
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 08:05:05 am »
Ive had a sore throat for 7 weeks with no fever but I have had chills vomiting diahrea and a rash on my face. I also had a swollen lymph node in my armpit left side for 2 days. I tested negative for strep. Does this sound like a HIV infection? Would a sore throat last 7 weeks with initial HIV infection?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Sore throat
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:23 am »
Worried,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

We've already discussed your situation at length. Re-read your entire thread - our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Worriedsick2012

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 02:39:43 pm »
The barium swallow I did yesterday showed nothing abnormal. Today I am feeling worse again. My throat is still red and sore and I didn't get much sleep even though I was tired I woke up early.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »
We've given you our take on situation. Given what you have reported of your sexual activities, HIV is not the problem.

We're not going to continue an endless round with you about this matter. If you continue to return with your symptomatic concerns you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from this site.

Whatever is causing your difficulties it's not HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Worriedsick2012

Candida
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:28 pm »
I have candida on my tongue what is the best way to get rid of it?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Candida
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »
Fluconazole works for me. Also yogurt seems to make it go away faster, along with the prescription.

* modified to add: Holy hell, you are not even HIV positive. You know better than to post here. Reported.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:46 am »
Worried,

For a start, if the doctor thought you had candida on your tongue, he would have said so when you had your barium exam and he would have prescribed something for you.

Secondly, I removed your candida thread (and deleted the one that had no replies) from the Just Tested forum and placed it here in your original thread, which is the ONLY place you are permitted to post about hiv related subjects in these forums.

You would have known this is you actually read what I wrote to you yesterday and read the Welcome thread like I requested you do. That was at least the second mention of reading the Welcome thread in this thread, so you got not excuse.

I'm giving you a 28 day time out. If you read that Welcome thread, you'd know all about those.

You just aren't listening to a thing we say, so why should we waste our time?

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Worriedsick2012

4th generation duo test
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »
I tested negative at 27 days with a 4th generation duo test. I have read some people say that is conclusive and others say to retest at 3 or 6 months. How accurate is this test at 27 days?

Offline RapidRod

Re: 4th generation duo test
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: 4th generation duo test
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 04:38:09 am »
Worried,

Yet again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread.

You need to read through the Welcome Thread.

You've been asked to do this a few times now - you just don't seem to be hearing a single thing we say to you. And just like back in March, I don't see why we should waste our time when you aren't listening.

I'm giving you another time out. This one will last for 56 days.

In the meantime, if you cannot bring yourself to believe what we've patiently explained to you again and again and again, go test, collect your negative result and move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.