Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:04:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 226
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: US food prices increasing sharply  (Read 48895 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Re: US food prices increasing sharply
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2008, 12:26:24 pm »
Gas fluctuates between $3.10 and $3.25 per gallon regular unleaded here.
A loaf of bread that isn't store brand can be anywhere between two and three dollars.
Store brand or cheap milk is around $3.85 per gallon.

I don't think I have seen any gas stations that are not pay at the pump or pay before you pump around here.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »
Grocery Inflation: The New York Times reports that the price of food is surging:
Government figures released Friday showed that grocery costs had jumped 5.1 percent in 12 months, the latest in a string of increases. In fact, the nation is undergoing its worst grocery inflation since the early 1990s.
With a few exceptions, nearly every grocery category measured by the Labor Department, which compiles the official inflation numbers, has increased in the last year. Milk is up 17 percent, as are dried beans, peas and lentils. Cheese is up 15 percent, rice and pasta 13 percent, and bread 12 percent.
No food product has gone up as much as eggs, jumping 25 percent since February 2007 and 62 percent in the last two years.

Offline 31diver

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
Actually, a big reason for the escalating food costs is that a huge amount of corn is being converted into Ethanol, which is the biggest sham in the history of fossil fuels. I will admit I am Republican, ok, put the pitchforks down, but there is a lot of things this administration has done that I disagree with. And this is definitely one of them.
More and more corn is being used for Ethanol production, therefore, less supply and greater demand for the corn used to feed livestock as well as corn utilized to produce food for direct human consumption.Therefore, higher demand, higher prices. Factor in that more land is being used for corn production and less of other staple crops and you can see the results.
And before anybody starts spouting off about global warming, I suggest you take a close look at the science behind these so called theories. The new prediction is a period of global cooling due to a lack of solar flare activity. Not to mention that Earth is not tied by a magic string at a preset distance from the sun but rather wobbles in it's orbit. Hence, a little closer to the sun, a little warmer on the planet and vice-versa.
If this administration really wanted to use alternative fuel sources, they should try Ethonal made from Brazilian sugar cane. It actually produces higher BTU' than the the corn based fuel. But, I guess the lobbyist for Florida sugar growers got into somebody's pocket first.

Offline outis

• My Blog
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2008, 03:48:32 pm »
Just curious....

Here on The Rock, I pay £0.53 for a PINT of milk - with today's exchange rate that equals $1.08. There are eight pints in a gallon, so that would be $8.64 a gallon for milk.

A loaf of bread costs me £1.29, which is $2.63.

How do we compare?

Ann

Holy bananas. Thank god our cars don't run on milk!  ;D
-Outis

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2008, 04:22:35 pm »
Actually, a big reason for the escalating food costs is that a huge amount of corn is being converted into Ethanol, which is the biggest sham in the history of fossil fuels. I will admit I am Republican, ok, put the pitchforks down, but there is a lot of things this administration has done that I disagree with. And this is definitely one of them.
More and more corn is being used for Ethanol production, therefore, less supply and greater demand for the corn used to feed livestock as well as corn utilized to produce food for direct human consumption.Therefore, higher demand, higher prices. Factor in that more land is being used for corn production and less of other staple crops and you can see the results.
And before anybody starts spouting off about global warming, I suggest you take a close look at the science behind these so called theories. The new prediction is a period of global cooling due to a lack of solar flare activity. Not to mention that Earth is not tied by a magic string at a preset distance from the sun but rather wobbles in it's orbit. Hence, a little closer to the sun, a little warmer on the planet and vice-versa.
If this administration really wanted to use alternative fuel sources, they should try Ethonal made from Brazilian sugar cane. It actually produces higher BTU' than the the corn based fuel. But, I guess the lobbyist for Florida sugar growers got into somebody's pocket first.

Spoken like a true Republican my friend. You were able to tie in rising oil prices to Ethanol and the myth of global warming without ever mentioning the war in Iraq. Ethanol production has nothing to do with oil going from twenty seven dollars a barrel when the Republican war started to where it is now. In fact Ethanol is supposed to help us decrease our dependence on foreign oil and help us lower the price. At least that's what the Republican administration told us.

Offline 31diver

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2008, 04:33:25 pm »
Umm, funny, I don't remember writing anything about fuel prices or the war. I believe I deliberately stayed to the point of food prices in order to avoid a protracted debate on political philosophies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:29 pm »
Umm, funny, I don't remember writing anything about fuel prices or the war. I believe I deliberately stayed to the point of food prices in order to avoid a protracted debate on political philosophies.

Rising oil prices are the cause of rising food costs. You can't discuss the rising costs of oil and food without discussing the cost of the war. Well you could, but it would be disingenuous. Rising oil and food prices are facts not philosophy. 

Offline 31diver

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2008, 05:54:08 pm »
And I haven't denied it either. I was pointing out only one of many factors. It is true that the rising cost of fuel is a contributor to the current trend of rising grocery costs. But so are a myriad of other factors, includong the war, the dollar's trading value in foreign markets, etc.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2008, 06:34:54 pm »
31diver, you may be a republican but you are not a farmer. The corn used for Ethanol production is not the same corn we use for food. The by-product of Ethanol productions is used for livestock feed with a high protein level. So we are getting Ethanol and still getting livestock feed. Ethanol is not the cause of the increase in the price of food. Wrong type of corn dude. 

Offline 31diver

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »
and what about the land used for this type of corn rather than corn for direct consumption or wheat. Oh, I forgot, I'm an evil republican so everything I say is part of the mass capitalist conspiracy

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
Like I said you aren't a farmer. Do you think farmers are allowed to plant as much wheat as they want? They can't. Farmers are allotted so much acreage to plant wheat. The Department of Ag. tells each farmer how much wheat one can plant. You put down more than the allotment and you'll have to disc it up. So to answer your question it isn't taking up acreage that could be use for another crop.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:38 pm »
Gee. I only paid $3.21 for regular unleaded  :P

Same here, in Maryland, $3.21.

But damn I remember back in the day (c.1980) when a gallon of milk crept up past $1.00/gal!  Its close to $4/gal here in Maryland now, too.

Guess I better quit letting Cheech lick the cereal bowl clean and cut back.   :-\
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2008, 11:52:01 pm »

But damn I remember back in the day (c.1980) when a gallon of milk crept up past $1.00/gal!  Its close to $4/gal here in Maryland now, too.

Check with Walgreens, when buying milk. If it's the same nationwide, as it is here in Florida. Walgreens, usually gives the best price on a gallon of milk. It's always lower than the supermarkets. ( they want to get you in there, so thsy can sell you something else ! )

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline 31diver

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
Rapidrod,
Is it your position that the only reasons for the higher price of food is due exclusively to higher fuel prices and the war?

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2008, 11:56:34 pm »
Thanks, Ray, but by the time I bought milk from a Walgreen's and got it home, it would spoil.  I'm in the DC Metro area.  I think the closest Walgreens is about 40 miles away.

I'll keep going to WalMart (which I DESPISE) or Giant Food. 

Cause milk does a body good.  :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2008, 06:25:47 am »
Rapidrod,
Is it your position that the only reasons for the higher price of food is due exclusively to higher fuel prices and the war?

Of course not, but it is the cause for the largest increase in food prices. When it cost double what it did to fill a truck with fuel those truckers aren't going to suffer the loss. A fuel surcharge is added to the freight bill which the store increase that amount on the product to make up for it. It takes fuel to farm and most tractors and combines use 150-200 gal in 10 hours. Most fertilizers to be manufactured take natural gas, increase the cost of gas and it increase the price of the product. So yes fuel is the leading cause of the increase of not only food prices but all necessities that we use.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2008, 07:11:20 am »

Check with Walgreens, when buying milk. If it's the same nationwide, as it is here in Florida. Walgreens, usually gives the best price on a gallon of milk. It's always lower than the supermarkets. ( they want to get you in there, so thsy can sell you something else ! )

Ray

Kroger's also has quite a few specials on milk.  1/2 gallons this week are 4 for $5.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2008, 07:50:58 am »
I think the closest Walgreens is about 40 miles away.
Wow.  We have one on every freaking corner usually with a CVS across the street.  We have one street that changes names in the middle of it so in my mind there is 2 of them on the same street, they might be 5 miles apart.  Dumb!

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2008, 05:23:27 pm »
Yes, it's sad but it does help those that don't have money to buy food.

Tennessee food stamp households receive, on average, $1.04 per person per meal in food stamp benefits. This modest amount is crucial to financially pressed families.

870,416 Tennesseans use food stamps to buy food every month. That amounts to 14.4 percent of the people in Tennessee.

• The Food Stamp Program pumped $976,012,959 into the Tennessee economy last year, benefiting farmers, grocers, and small businesses throughout the state.

• About 80 percent of food stamp benefits go to households with children, many of them in working families. Most of the rest go to households containing elderly people or people with disabilities

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2008, 05:35:30 pm »
• About 80 percent of food stamp benefits go to households with children, many of them in working families. Most of the rest go to households containing elderly people or people with disabilities

Thank God it's going to people who really need it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:29 pm »
Yes it is, isn't it.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2008, 06:51:08 am »
I've been volunteering, on and off, for over twenty years at our local ASO, mostly in the food pantry. Before he died my friend Dennis worked to establish the first food pantry in Memphis to help people with AIDS. I remember how he just had to gay it up and make it look flashy and like a store. ;D Folks would come in weekly and "shop" for food and nonperishables. Those that weren't too ill would try to make it in on their own just to be able to get out and socialize a bit. We'd set up card tables and chairs and serve coffee and smoke. We called it Cafe Dennis.

Now because of costs and the increasing competition of other food pantries we're only able to open once a month. You get a prepackaged bag and you can only get what we give you. The Cafe closed long ago.

It's amazing that in America people will wait in line for an hour for two boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese.

edited for typo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:56:39 am by Peter Staley »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2008, 06:59:12 am »
Maybe they go to socialize why they are waiting in line. :D

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2008, 07:08:39 am »
Maybe they go to socialize why they are waiting in line. :D

No Rod that's not it, but I'm not surprised that you would find humor in the suffering of others. Thank goodness you got yours. Most of those socializing back then are dead now anyway.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2008, 07:25:44 am »
No Rod that's not it, but I'm not surprised that you would find humor in the suffering of others. Thank goodness you got yours. Most of those socializing back then are dead now anyway.
  How would you know that is not reason now Hal, for some to stand in line? You've never been put in that position Hal have you? The only thing I notice out of you Hal is that you like to flame bait and belittle others that are not as "fortunate" as you. Like the article from the "Columbus Dispatch," hmmm you stretched to get that article. since you don't live in Ohio and you posted it for one reason. Well you can play your games as much as you like but I'll overlook your your belittling mentality.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2008, 07:43:02 am »
  How would you know that is not reason now Hal, for some to stand in line? You've never been put in that position Hal have you? The only thing I notice out of you Hal is that you like to flame bait and belittle others that are not as "fortunate" as you. Like the article from the "Columbus Dispatch," hmmm you stretched to get that article. since you don't live in Ohio and you posted it for one reason. Well you can play your games as much as you like but I'll overlook your your belittling mentality.

Yes Rod I have. Spent one year homeless if it is any of your business. I've had my days of living on handouts believe me. Maybe that's why I do feel a bit more compassion than you ever dream of showing. You have health insurance but are the first to want to deny it to others. Any opinion different than yours is met with sarcasm and attack. Oh you're right Rod, I am fortunate. Yes, I do work, but because I don't have health insurance I must live on a subsistence level (that means not make too much money Rod) in order to qualify for ADAP.

What the hell Ohio has to do with this is beyond me. If you don't like what I say Rod I suggest you put me on ignore. I'm going to report this to the mods and let them settle it out.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2008, 07:48:46 am »
I went to one of the food banks around here for the first time last week and the people who worked there were saying that, that day was the most people they had ever seen. :-\

The local grocery store had 2 hothouse cucumber for $5.00  :o 
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2008, 07:53:16 am »
You do that Hal, because they will wonder why you put the article from the Columbus Dispatch in a post when it doesn't have anything to do with you because you are from Nashville Tenn., it hasn't beem that long ago that you jumped me for getting assistance to go to the AMG2007.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:31:21 pm by anniebc »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2008, 08:00:20 am »
I go to a couple local food pantries, and we have to take what they give us.  I've never been to one where someone got to choose what they wanted.  But hey, thank heaven for those pantries. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:43 am »
I go to a couple local food pantries, and we have to take what they give us.  I've never been to one where someone got to choose what they wanted.  But hey, thank heaven for those pantries. 

That was back when it first opened in the mid 80's. There is no choosing now and there was no choosing when I used it during the 90's.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:56 am »
Rod & Hal -- back off now, or you're both headed for Time-Outs.  Don't post in this thread again, and don't start another thread to bait each other.

You've both been warned.

Peter

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

I've been volunteering, on and off, for over twenty years at our local ASO, mostly in the food pantry. Before he died my friend Dennis worked to establish the first food pantry in Memphis to help people with AIDS. I remember how he just had to gay it up and make it look flashy and like a store. ;D Folks would come in weekly and "shop" for food and nonperishables. Those that weren't too ill would try to make it in on their own just to be able to get out and socialize a bit. We'd set up card tables and chairs and serve coffee and smoke. We called it Cafe Dennis.

Now because of costs and the increasing competition of other food pantries we're only able to open once a month. You get a prepackaged bag and you can only get what we give you. The Cafe closed long ago.

It's amazing that in America people will wait in line for an hour for two boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese.

edited for typo

Hal -- there is no record in the forums of Rod posting the above statement.  Please send me a PM explaining why you would falsely attribute this quote to him.

Peter

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:43 am »
I just got this PM from Hal:

Peter,

To be honest I'm not sure how that happened and I wasn't attributing that to Rod. It's obvious that I'm making the statement. I was probably quoting Rod and screwed up.

[from a follow-up PM]
... I thought I was quoting Rod's reply #122 and when I edited for a typo somehow screwed up.

I've edited Hal's post above -- I've removed the quote tags from it.

Peter

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2008, 10:14:29 am »
I believe at the main office in Albuquerque, people are able to "shop" at the NMAS food bank and choose what they like from what is available.

This sometimes includes such things as fresh fruit and vegetables. Around the holidays, we also give people holiday baskets, which are basically bags of holiday type food including a turkey.

Out in the hinterland, where I operate, we don't have a food bank. There are some local food banks that people can access and my agency provides people with gift cards from a local supermarket chain rather than stocking a rural food bank or pantry.

The bottom line is, people need help with groceries, especially those who live on less than $1,000 a month.

With rising food costs, I think most of us will feel the pinch, regardless of income.

I still plan on putting in a big garden. That way, at least I can share what I can't use and I might be able to stock up for the winter.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2008, 12:39:51 pm »
The bottom line is, people need help with groceries, especially those who live on less than $1,000 a month.
HUGS,

Mark

That is so true.  I get $783/month SSDI and only $10/month food stamps.  That's why I said, thank heaven for the food pantries.  By the way Mark, can you fedex things from your garden to Indiana? ;)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »
I haven't used a food pantry since the late 90's I don't think. Towards the end I noticed they seemed to be having trouble keeping stocked and the volunteers where not always very nice.

I've toyed with the idea of an edible garden but I haven't even touched my flower garden this year. I know I'd kill it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »
Not that long ago, people were able to donate fresh veggies / fruit from their gardens to the food pantries.  Then, for some reason they changed the rules and wouldn't let anyone donate fresh foods.  So, for awhile, the local - our small town pantry - allowed folks to donate fresh veggies / fruit that they "canned".  There was talk about disallowing that, too.  I think it would be a shame. 

We're planting a container garden on our front porch.  We're hoping to get tomatoes, bell peppers, onions (green, white, and purple), garlic, green beans, carrots, herbs, and who knows what else.  Hubby is talking about building a bigger garden on the hill.  We wouldn't be able to get it together for this year, though.  It needs staked out, plowed, a rabbit fence burried, and a deer fence built.  We're hoping to make it at least
 20ft x 20ft.  Then, we'll be able to add corn, gords, cabbage, lettuce, pumpkins, and canatlope, and cucumbers. YUM!

Betty, hun, we get our garden together, and I'll drive down to Indiana and bring you a trunk load of fresh veggies, apples, peaches,  and cherries (from our trees).

If the cost of milk and eggs keeps going up, I'm gonna have to see about adding a cow and some chickens.

Mum (who needs to go to the grocery store)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline mjmel

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
container gardening would be the way to go for some of you.
of course, it does cost to acquire the materials needed and on a tight budjet it can be a fair part of the monthly budjet--that intial investment.
the food banks should promote this idea and supply seed, container and simple directions. Only expense would be soil (which one can get for the taking out of a small front yard or purchased at lowe's/walmart/etc. the harvest is constant for months and it's fresh too.
we plant sugar sweets (cherry tomatoes) every year in our half-barrel planter which is outside, near the front entrance of the house. Each year there is more of those tasty sweets than two of us can eat or give away!

Mike

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2008, 07:16:34 pm »
not a bad idea, the containers.  My lavender and rosemary have survived. so far.... LOL

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »
The good thing about container gardening is you can use anything..just make sure to poke holes in the bottom.  Our friends with the 15 kids plant tomato plants in their snowboots.  It's really cute sitting out on their front porch with tomoto plants growing out of them.  If you use the cheap plastic storage containers, put crushed cans or clean food cans in the bottom so you don't have to use as much soil.  Don't forget to poke holes in the bottom of the container.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2008, 07:27:58 pm »
Ever tried to do a container garden from a 4th floor apartment with no elevator, where the only accessible outdoors space is a ancient steel fire escape landing that heats up to 150 degrees every day in the summer?  I'm sure it's great for frying bacon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Basquo

« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2008, 09:54:44 pm »
Ever tried to do a container garden from a 4th floor apartment with no elevator, where the only accessible outdoors space is a ancient steel fire escape landing that heats up to 150 degrees every day in the summer?  I'm sure it's great for frying bacon.

Hothouse tomatoes? 

Seriously, though, I bet you could grow rosemary. It's superhardy and used here in the Desert Southwest as a low-water/high-heat shrub. The grass can be brown and smoking and the rosemary will still be green, blooming and fragrant.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:58 pm »
Sure, Mary.  Rosemary is really going to help me put a dent in my food budget.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:37 pm »
Herb encrusted lamb chops with garlic potato gratin and sugar snap peas, followed by a dessert of chocolate bread pudding and a glass of madiera.

I remembered your food suggestion and I thought of something that you could grow in a container on the Venus you call the area outside your apartment. I'm sorry for offending you. Gardening makes me happy, and as of Friday I will be a total container gardener, as I'm becoming an urban dweller not on the ground floor.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »
Oh, you didn't offend me.  Trust, I love gardening.  In Brooklyn I had a backyard, though small by most standards (think postage stamp) but I tore it all out and re-landscaped everything.  It was all flowering plants though, not food.

tendai

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2008, 08:28:20 am »
welcome to the club. but believe me, u aint got nothing on our prices!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2008, 09:35:40 am »
Tendai, every time I read one of your posts that describe the horrific conditions you live in there, I could slap myself for complaining.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:36 am »

OK. Everyone else do container gardening. David, you are not allowed. You'd likely stub your toe. God forbid you make some bulk and muscles on your lean mean bod. :D
City slicker! get a plastic container (it's lightweight) and use that spot outside your window (that you escape out of for a cig) to set it 2/3 full of soil and drop a few cherry tomato seeds and voila. Wait. Just considered it would likely be a fire code violation.  :-X

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.