Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients  (Read 29884 times)

Offline newbernswiss

Re: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 07:20:43 pm »
 ;D ;D O why my dear Matty, The worst to happen is:  quarantine your ASS  :-*
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:23:31 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 07:56:30 pm »

I am not sure whether this link has been posted or not, but this is from CNN, in regards to Huckabee's refusal to retract 1992 statements :

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/10/huckabee.aids/index.html

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 08:44:25 pm »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 03:48:01 am »
Well I am "Behind" on this, I just posted under "Living".

I'm still wondering how this is OFF TOPIC but what ev:

I hope this fuckabee rots in hell.

AS slowly as possible.

I have a question for his GOD.

GOD...How much longer are we here in the USA supposed to put up with Fuck heads like this. And also, why did you place him on EARTH? Try Jupiter next time.
Thanks.
Positive since 1985

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 06:11:26 am »
First of all, I am hoping Huckabee flames out. I dont want another President preaching his religion,even though Clinton was the only one who had a photo opp every Sunday hauling that 40 pound bible around.  This guy is the Dems only hope of winning. I think he is planning to run as a third candidate much the way Perot did,guaranteeing a Dem victory. Remember Clinton doesnt win the first time without Perot.  Have any of you been to Arkansas? Drive through it once and you realize what a miracle Willy pulled off. It is one big disaster area and no one live there.

Second, I have said as an HIV positive person I would be against separation of pos and negs but it is an interesting theory.  Swiss, if positives had been separated in mid 80s,and you were pos then,you most likely would not be alive today, either would I. There would be less infected in the US no matter how irrational and unrealistic your rants are. How do you reason with someone who refuses to listen,who refuses to look at both sides of the issue?

I am fortunate this course of action was not taken. Those infected since 1990 are payiing the price for me.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:19 am »
How do you reason with someone who refuses to listen,who refuses to look at both sides of the issue?

Really Jakey I don't know. Perhaps you can enlighten us?

Given that you're so tolerant and wise and stuff.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 07:48:15 am »
Everyone no matter their supposed risk factor. All women,men,and children. What is convoluted about that? Are you telling me the number of HIVers in US wouldnt be very small if every person who was positive was separated from the rest of US society back in mid or late 80s?

I knew someone else who thought like this back then. Who'd da thunk Jake an Fidel were on the same page.

Mr. Huckabee's proposal would have required a strong, and scary, element of coercion: Who would voluntarily be tested knowing that the price of a positive result could be "isolation" from society? Small wonder that, at the time, Mr. Huckabee's impulse to segregate victims of HIV from the general population was shared only by those on the fringes of the American right and, ironically, in Cuba, where Fidel Castro's dictatorship was pursuing a policy of mandatory testing and quarantine.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:35 am »
Isolate Huckabee. 
Andy Velez

Offline jack

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 10:31:16 am »
What do you want me to say? I feel very fortunate to be alive today. I am very happy a plan like Huckabees was never put in place. I believe a plan like Huckabees,which would need a very stringent testing program would have greatly limited the number of HIV infection in US. Yes,you would be putting the publics safety above individual freedom.  So while everyone complains about emphasis on abstinence as a prevention, I would choose abstinence over being separated given the choice. I wonder how much the emphasis on abstinence has to do with keeping the right wing christians mollified? A lot.
I am very happy todays argument is rubbers vs abstinence instead of abstinence or rubbers vs separation.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 11:02:08 am »
I'd like to jump in my own thread here and add what's probably a horribly politically incorrect comment, and ask folks to consider the very low rate of HIV infection in Cuba, comparaed to the rest of the Caribbean, exactly because they instituted a quarantine program early on in the epidemic.  In fact, it's one of the few places where AIDS was remarkably contained, though I also assume that it has a lot to do with the somewhat extra isolation that it's government and economy has with the rest of the world, but only slightly.

I'm not sure what the current policy is in Cuba, but I know they were one of the few places that did this in the 80's/early 90's and of course they have excellent medical care.  And of course, none of their policy was the result of wacko right-wing Christianists but a completely secular society.

Of course, I seriously doubt that I would have personally appreciated this happening to myself, but I digress.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 11:16:25 am »
If Wiki is correct, sounds like Cuba relied more on education and less on quarantine. Course what usually happens to people in Cuba, stays in Cuba.

From 1986 until 1989, HIV+ Cubans were quarantined to treatment centres (sanatoria). Most of the early HIV patients were heterosexual aid workers, returning from Africa. The quarantine system was relaxed in 1989, to allow travel between home and the treatment centres. In 1993, an outpatient program (el sistema ambulatoria) was set up which since the early 2000s contains the vast majority of HIV patients. By the early to mid 1990s, homosexual and bisexual men became the majority of Cuban HIV patients. The treatment centres (sanatoria) are still open for those who prefer them to living at home.

All HIV infected people are asked to attend a program called 'Living with HIV'. This program used to be held in the treatment centres, but is now mostly in the outpatient system, and assisted by peer educators, who are mostly HIV positive people. During the program patients are monitored to see if they are ‘trustworthy’ – that is, sexually responsible, and if their diet, self-care and medication is adequate. They are asked to disclose the names of any sexual partners from the last 5 years. Those sexual partners are then traced and tested for HIV. Certain groups are targeted for testing (HIV positive sexual contacts, blood donors, pregnant women, people with STDs). All testing is voluntary, but strongly encouraged amongst the target groups. All HIV+ patients retain their job entitlements and 100% of their salary, when they have to be absent from work. The stated aim of the program is to reintegrate all patients in their normal lives, and prevent discrimination or social rejection. Homophobia is recognised as a problem in Cuba, and is addressed through the HIV program (including school classes which begin at year 5 or 6) as well as through the National Centre for Sex Education. This education program includes posters, pamphlets and a television soapie which features gay, bisexual and HIV+ people in the family.

Cuba has undertaken extensive campaigns against HIV/AIDS focussing on education and treatment, and in 2003 Cuba had the lowest HIV prevalence in the Americas and one of the lowest ratios in the world. According to the Cuban National Centre for Prevention of STDs and HIV/AIDS (November 2005) there were 5,422 persons living with HIV (3,968) or AIDS (1,454). 85% of these were homosexual or bisexual men (HSH – hombres que tienen sexo con hombres).

Since 1996 Cuba has produced generic versions of some of the common antiretroviral treatment drugs (ARVT). These drugs were in short supply and imports were very expensive in the 1990s. However, since 2001, 100% of Cuban HIV+ patients have had access to a relatively full cocktail of HAARVT (high active retroviral treatment), free of charge. The death rate from HIV infection has been falling rapidly since then, and most HIV+ infected Cubans are avoiding secondary infections.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 11:40:46 am »
Sounds like an amazingly sane program.  Damn those communists.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 03:45:55 pm »
Huckabee "very willing" to meet with Ryan White's mother....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/11/huckabee.aids.ap/index.html

"Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee's 15-year-old comments that AIDS patients should have been isolated have so alarmed the mother of Ryan White, an Indiana teenager whose life-ending battle with AIDS in the 1980s engrossed the nation, that she has asked for a meeting..."

Ray

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:47:47 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2007, 04:39:24 pm »
Make no mistake about this one - Huckabee is a dangerous man. He is dangerous because he appeals to the fears and frustrations of the same large segment of America that mindlessly bought into the "family values" con that the right wing has been running for so many years. He is dangerous because he appeals to the same mob mentality that stifles individuality and suppresses knowledge. If history has taught us anything, it is that people like Mike Huckabee, who sell themselves as sincere leaders who will lead the people out of the darkness, inevitably turn out to be the very same people who turned off the lights.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline jack

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 04:55:02 pm »
Yeah,you are right.there shouldnt be any emphasis on family values. They are worthless.
I wonder how much Huckabees plan had to do with the con back in the day that everyone was at risk for HIV? But the left never cons. The left never takes individual freedoms away for the betterment of society and group.WTF are you talking about?
I hope this guy is run out of politics but i view both DEM candidates as much more dangerous than this clown.
A pox on Arkansas and all the slime politicians they have given us. I am sick of Clintons,and Bushes,and right wing christians,globalwarmers,those Americans who fight for American defeat in Iraq. Why are we going to the most impoverished state in the Country for our leaders? Cause no one lives there and no one knows how bad it is.
Please,Please, no more Bushes,no more Clintons. Anyone else, I dont care.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 05:14:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure Huck doesn't like us, and I quote:

Asked about gays in the military, for example, he didn't just reject the idea but added: "I believe to try to legitimize that which is inherently illegitimate would be a disgraceful act of government. I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2007, 05:28:03 pm »
I wonder how much Huckabees plan had to do with the con back in the day that everyone was at risk for HIV?

And what con was that exactly, Jack?  Where is the demographic that has NOT had members become infected with HIV?

Let's see from this very board, shall we?

Gays?  Check, of course.

Heterosexual Women?  Check.

Heterosexual men?  Check.

Children, perhaps?  Um...check.

But surely, Heterosexuals involved in "sanctified" marriage relationships?  Check again.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2007, 05:29:23 pm »
...But the left never cons. The left never takes individual freedoms away for the betterment of society and group.WTF are you talking about?

You are certainly correct that some of the left leaning or far left politicians are intellectually dishonest, and I have the same questions about Hillary Clinton and those like her that we all do, but I view this thread as being about Mike Huckabee and the very disturbing positions he has taken and which he now would distance himself from without explicitly admitting that he was wrong. We all make mistakes. What we need now is leadership that is not afraid to look us in the eye and say "yes, you are right and I was wrong when I did that, let's see if we can fix the problem". Savvy Amigo?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:32:41 pm by wishihadacat »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:56 pm »
Frankly, I'm quite contented that Huckabee doesn't like gays. This guy is scum.
Mike M

Offline jack

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2007, 08:05:41 pm »
He is an ordained baptist preacher,of course he doesnt like gays. Baptists aren't real big on tolerance. Wait a minute ,isnt it something about the sinner being ok and its the sin they hate. Whatever,this guy doesnt have a chance. The media would love to see him as the candidate and are pushing him. 
As a Republican I hope this guy blows up real soon,but unfortunately he appears to have the gift of gab and is quick on his feet,must be in the water in Arkansas.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:16 pm »
Wait a minute ,isnt it something about the sinner being ok and its the sin they hate.

That's more the line Rudy is taking at the moment.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »
Thank you Thunter for mentioning that!  I thought I was the only one that heard Rudy make that BIZARRE statement.  Talk about pandering!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »
Thank you Thunter for mentioning that!  I thought I was the only one that heard Rudy make that BIZARRE statement.  Talk about pandering!

Oh, no...I caught it.  This from the man who sought refuge in the home of some queens when his then wife (I don't remember which one, exactly...there have been several) tossed him out for cheating on her. 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2007, 10:01:26 pm »
Rudy is another piece of work. The prospect of Rudolph in the White House scares the bejeezus out of me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2007, 12:27:24 am »
Plus Rudy's current wife used to kill little puppies.

Offline jack

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2007, 07:05:43 am »
the national media is pumping the Huckster again this morning,talking about what a great candidate is he nationwide when the only real poll he appears to have a lead in is Iowa. Iowas population is a tad more than the wonderland of economic and social advances Arkansas. Why does the national media have only positive things to say about this guy? They usually destroy people who are Christian,especially right wing Christian. Hmmmm.

This is the kind of candidate that will drive moderates away from Republican party to the Dems. Conservatives will hold their nose in a general election and vote for this guy over any of the present Dem candidates who all are still selling the evil of wealth, raising taxes, and US defeat in Iraq to the uneducated rubes as the end all be all. Dems win. That is why national media is not attacking the Huckster the way they have attacked every right wing Christian candidate in the past. The media might also like his big tax and big spend history.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2007, 07:10:49 am »
Yeah Jakey, it's all a big media conspiracy. It has nothing to do with the fact that the your party can only produce 24 karat fuckwits for these Presidential primaries, would it now?

Oh by the way, our Prime Minister has ratified Kyoto and committed to short term targets. :)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2007, 07:53:07 am »
This is the kind of candidate that will drive moderates away from Republican party to the Dems.

Jake, Huckabee's popularity is being fueled by the Evangelical's and the religious right and has nothing to do with the media. You know the lib-er-al media that no Republican in his right mind would ever believe. Using convoluted Jake logic and your penchant for revising history smart Republicans should be able to see through the media's effort to elect Huckabee and would vote against him.

Unfortunately, the Republican Party sold it's soul to the religious right (and not in that good Jesus kind of way) and you are reaping what was sowed.   

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:33 am »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2007, 01:01:09 pm »
Merry Christmas from the Huckaton's Huckabee's.

http://syndication.nationaljournal.com/images/HuckXmascard.pdf

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2007, 02:23:18 pm »
That card sure turned my stomach.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:32 pm »
I'm just trying to figure out which Republican candidate would turn off the largest part of middle-of-the-road votes who are the ones who often decide an election result.

Huckabee is certainly right up there among the worst.

It isn't that I think any of the Democrats are swell. I have to hope one of them winning would be the lesser evil.

Whatta group in all and what revoltin' development as Bugs B used to say.
Andy Velez

Offline jack

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2007, 03:12:32 pm »
Has to be the Huckster.  There must be something in the water in Arkansas that produces gifted speakers. This guy can really talk.  I think people are sick and tired of all the religion talk just like they were sick and tired of all the scandals after Clinton.
He appears to be very liberal economically, but very conservative in religion.

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm »
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2007, 06:38:05 am »
Would you want this guy sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/78241

Offline mjmel

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2007, 06:54:51 am »
Lynching a dog 'fer fun'. That's daddy's boy, alright.

Mike M

Offline Basquo

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2007, 01:03:17 pm »
Merry Christmas from the Huckaton's Huckabee's.

http://syndication.nationaljournal.com/images/HuckXmascard.pdf

Please God don't let those retarded looking fucks move into the White House.  Amen

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13:35 pm »
so scary

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2007, 06:42:58 pm »

In 1998, Mike Huckabee was inspired -- possibly by events close to home to write a book called, Kids Who Kill.  David Corn has a review over at Mother Jones, where you can see just how moderate the Arkansas preacher is when not yucking it up with the national press.

Expressing deep concern about the rash of school shootings in America, Huckabee set out to finger the culprits for our "culture of violence."  His list is... interesting.

Abortion, environmentalism, AIDS, pornography, drug abuse, and homosexual activism have fragmented and polarized our communities.

You might want to read that list again, just in case you thought you were hallucinating the first time.  It's not that uncommon for the right to pass abortion off as sanctioning violence, but apparently environmentalism also causing our children to shot their schoolyard buddies.  Oh, and it appears that AIDS is not a disease, but some horrible movement leading our children astray.  No wonder those radical AIDSers need to be quarantined.

Not only does Huckabee feel free to create a laundry list in which environmentalism is equated to pornography, a few pages later he expands on his view of homosexuality.   

It is now difficult to keep track of the vast array of publicly endorsed and institutionally supported aberrations—from homosexuality and pedophilia to sadomasochism and necrophilia.

Exactly which government program is funding necrophilia, or why environmentalism is akin to drug abuse, Huckabee doesn't say.

But then, when all you're doing is spewing forth a noxious stew of the most extreme right wing hate, there's really no need to explain.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2007, 12:06:04 pm »
2 TONS of NO FUN!  :o

ROFL, be nice. I guess when you're a politician's son you can live high on the hog (bacon)

:D

Offline ademas

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2008, 01:01:26 pm »
just came across this old gem from Red Hot + Blue AIDS benefit album - 1990. 
What better place for it than the Huckabee thread.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p_Rf0AY6E

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2008, 04:57:10 pm »

Huckabee's response to the issue of the Confederate Flag :

""You don't like people from outside the state coming in and telling you what to do with your flag," Huckabee said in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Thursday. "In fact, if somebody came to Arkansas and told us what to do with our flag, we'd tell 'em what to do with the pole, that's what we'd do."

What an ASS !!

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2008, 11:38:55 am »
just came across this old gem from Red Hot + Blue AIDS benefit album - 1990. 
What better place for it than the Huckabee thread.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p_Rf0AY6E

That was terrific, ademas!  Loved it.  Had never heard it before.  Thanks for posting that.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.