Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 446
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ten days into meds (Truvada and Isentress)  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Newguy

Ten days into meds (Truvada and Isentress)
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:26:56 am »
Hi everyone

I recently started meds on Nov1 (Truvada and Isentress) and although I was petrified to start I feel amazing! Much better even only ten days into treatment. However there are some side effects I might be experience and I want to ask if anyone has any similar experiences. Of course only my blood work will tell if they are working as well as I hope they are which I will get done in about three weeks.

First off I have slight headaches after taking Isentress but not a major issue at all. It lasts for 45 min or so and then goes away. Lately my lower back has been a bit sore and the other day I had sharp pains in my lower back area but they went away after a day. This might have been to a long distance drive I took so I don't know if they were the meds or not. I also feel slight nausea but I always have so I can't tell if it is the meds or not. Can I expect this well being to continue? Have I passed the window of possible serious adverse side effects? Of course only my blood work will tell but I know people have experience in here so I thought I would ask.

Best 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Ten days into meds (Truvada and Isentress)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:17:00 am »
I had headaches like that too for the first few weeks. They go away. Just take some over the counter headache medication in the meantime.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Newguy

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:26:34 am »
Thanks for the reply Miss P.

I hate to say this but I love these meds, it is unbelievable what they do. Is it a possible to feel such a difference in such a short time? Or is it in my head? I mean even if it is my head that is good too I suppose maybe I can continue to propagate this in my head feeling which is a good one? In terms of sleep and diarrhea absolutely no problems. I hope it continues.

Once again thanks for the reply and all the best to you!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:27 am »
HIV meds tend to suppress the virus fairly quickly for most patients so yes what you are feeling is real.

Offline Newguy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:36:42 am »
All of this is great so far but I am not in the clear yet. Until those first lab results say everything is working and everything is fine then I will feel complete relief. That I will know in about three weeks.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:25:26 am »
All of this is great so far but I am not in the clear yet. Until those first lab results say everything is working and everything is fine then I will feel complete relief. That I will know in about three weeks.

Medication works. Trust me, as long as you're taking them as directed you will not walk out of your doctor's office with them not working.

Offline Newguy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:52 am »
To Miss P.

Thanks for the confidence but in addition to the medication working, I need to make sure that my physiology is functioning as it should. I know side effects with bone problems and kidneys tend to be a small minority and in people with a history of problems but I will feel better once results tell me all is well in the internal land of my body.

Thanks for the replies Miss P that is very kind of you.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:49:22 am »
I am on this combo along with Intelence and absolutely love it.  My first combo in the 20+ years of fighting this virus that hasn't left me as sick as I was before taking the drugs.

You won't know if you're one of the very few who MIGHT develop bone issues as a side affect as it doesn't happen immediately if at all.

I started this particular combo after being hospitalized with Crytococcal Meningitis so I already had migraines and therefore can't speak to that issue.  Even with that deadly diagnosis, I felt better within a few days and became undetectable relatively quick. 

The only side affect I've noticed is if I drink too much, I wake up with a fuzzy feeling.   ;D

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline pozinHI

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:12:55 am »
diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. They put me on Truvada and Isentress right away. I was doing very bad before treatment (PCP and other issues) these meds have worked wonders with me and I hope they work for you also.
Good luck, it will keep getting better

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:14:26 am by pozinHI »

Offline kjohn

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:58 pm »
Ditto to most of the replys.  I am a LTS, 20+ years.  I'm on same with Intelence as well.  These are some of the most powerful drugs around for HIV suppression.  You can probably look forward to many years of Undetectable Viral load and a healthy CD4 count as well. 

Its time to start thinking about the other important issues in your life...don't let this become your life by stressing over potential effects that might happen.  I realize this is easier said then done, but I needed someone to slap me in the face many years ago when I too, was stressing every minute about what might happen.  I have come to realize that I have much to be thankful for and that there are many others who have it much worse than I do. 

You are allowed to be happy!!!
Nothing is ever as good or bad as it first seems

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »
Hey NewGuy,

Just curious. Do you have insurance? If so, you can get co-pay assistance to help completely pay for your co-pays for both Isentress and Truvada. Very easy to get set up in one phone call.

Let us know, heh?
Em

Offline Newguy

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 11:19:19 pm »
Hey NewGuy,

Just curious. Do you have insurance? If so, you can get co-pay assistance to help completely pay for your co-pays for both Isentress and Truvada. Very easy to get set up in one phone call.

Let us know, heh?
Em

Hey Emeraldize

I am in Ontario Canada and no I do not have insurance. However there is a program here in Ontario where I have to pay 4% of my income to get the meds. So it costs about 1200 a year for this year. I don't mind paying it, it is essentially buying insurance from the government. Other provinces in Canada offer HIV meds for completely free. Alberta and BC do this some others might too, I do not know though. How one country can have different provincial standards is beyond me. But I am not complaining, I am happy to be on these meds.

Best

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:23 am »
Thanks for sharing that -- I didn't know. I'm glad you're getting a break -- $100 a month for meds is much more reasonable. Were I you, I would still call the pharmaceutical companies to see if they have any supplemental program in Canada that specifically addresses this amount paid by you. No reason not to inquire.  I'll hunt up the link to the list for you.

amending with EngryBird's 4/12 post which may help you and references rebating, too -- again, if it were mine to do I would call each company directly and have a chat.

For the Isentress, you print the coupon from Isentress.com: Patient Assistance -> Copay program -> Print a New Coupon. Answer few questions and you got it!

For Truvada, you can order the card by calling 1 888 358 0398. After you dial this number, it tells you that this program is not available anymore however when you stay on the line, you will be transferred to GILEAD copay assistance (it must be something new though because I contacted them about Truvada two months ago using the above number). 

Present the card and the coupon during dropping off your prescriptions to be filled -- do not wait till pick up because the info from the cards needs to inputted the  same time they accept your prescriptions to be filled (at least my pharmacy chain does it this way).

For Mail Order Pharmacies or Retail Pharmacies that do not accept cards or coupons:

Pay up front out of your pocket for prescriptions. Go to patientrebateonline.com operated my McKesson.  You can print a form with your info for Truvada reimbursement that you will mail to McKesson with a copy of your invoice received with your Truvada in mail.

For Isentress, you need to call McKesson for a customized with your info form to be mailed to your address.  After you received the form, fill it out, attach invoice or copy showing your prescription number and how much you paid for it and mail it back to McKesson.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:32:49 am by emeraldize »

Offline Cojo

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32:48 pm »
Hey Newguy

A fellow Ontarian here my friend.
I started this combo just over a year ago and it has been absolutely amazing. I've had zero side effects and it dropped my VL from 60,000 to UD in about four weeks. Taking them has just become part of my daily routine and when I start to think about it too much and get bummed out, this is what I do. I give myself a kick in the butt and turn to gratitude; gratitude that these miracle drugs are available to us today in Ontario for next to nothing, gratitude for the many, many who gave their bodies as experimental vessels to achieve what we have and gratitude to be flourishing today.
I hope that helps. And seriously, from the one who holds the patent on " what -if " thinking ....don't worry, all will be well.
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.