Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 717
Total: 717

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Lab test result coming today.....  (Read 9842 times)

Offline harveynoble

Lab test result coming today.....
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:08:36 am »
Would someone with chronic HIV infection who is having all sorts of health problems have an abnormal CD4 count. When does the CD4 drop below the normal range?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: CD4 and CD8 counts
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:14:41 am »
Harvey,

I get the feeling you are asking this because you are trying to guess someone's hiv status. I'm not going to play that game with you. The ONLY way to know someone's hiv status - including your own - is through the appropriate test at the appropriate time.

If there has been an incident in your life you are worried about in terms of hiv infection, then let's discuss that. We don't play guessing games here, we only give risk assessments and testing advice.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:18:03 am »
Unprotected vaginal sex 16 months ago. Have tested at 14 months. Negative, but still have lots of problems. Dr took blood to measure CD4 which was OK. I was just wondering if I did have HIV could you tell by the CD4 count dropping or something.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:28:22 am »
Harvey,

The ONLY way to know your hiv status is through testing. You have tested and you are absolutely hiv negative. The window period for hiv testing is 12-13 weeks so a test taken at that time or anytime afterwards is conclusive.

Whatever problems you are having, you have ruled hiv out of the picture. Please work with your doctor to get to the bottom of what is bothering you.

While you're here, I'd like to ask you to read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links for further hiv information. Here's a few other things you should know as well:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You are hiv negative, without doubt. Use condoms for intercourse an you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:37:23 am »
I just want to emphatically second Ann's comments and especially that the ONLY way to reliably know your HIV status is by taking an approved HIV test.

You may very well be worrying for naught, but in any case since you have had unprotected intercourse you need to get tested.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit and especially so from female to male. So the odds are in your favor against transmission in a single incident.

But HIV is not something to guess about and everything other than an HIV test is just that ....guesswork without a reliable answer.

Stop torturing yourself, do it even if you're scared and get tested.

And from here on in make sure that whenever you have intercourse you are always wearing a condom. No exceptions.

Good luck with your test. 

Andy Velez

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 07:55:38 am »
Are you suggesting I test again. I tested at 14 months using the mirates 15 min test. It was definitely negative, my Dr confirmed it as he did the test for me.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:20 am »
Harvey,

No.  You are conclusively negative.  Andy, while residing at the pinnacle of hiv risk assessment, just missed the fact that you've already tested negative outside the window period.  He's a busy man, and even the best aren't perfect (and he's one of the best).

Morgan

Spelling correction.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:20:14 am by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:17:28 am »
Yes, my apologies for that oversight. That's what I get for racing around here first thing in the morning and not taking time to read more carefully.

You have conclusively tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. If you continue to have symptoms that are troubling you that is something to discuss with your doctor and those symptoms do not negate the validity of your negative HIV test result.

Again my apologies for having missed that important point about your test result. No further testing is necessary with regard to HIV.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:20:28 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 08:58:21 am »
Thanks for the reply. But would a CD4 count be ab-normal if I had chronic HIV infection untreated. It is just that my CD4 count was normal but on the very low end of the range. My doc didn't really explain it too well.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 09:06:20 am »
If you had a chronic hiv infection you wouldn't have tested negative and your CD4 count wouldn't have been so high without medication.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 09:12:10 am »
Harvey,

Your test results were conclusive.  You are hiv negative.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 08:28:40 am »
Can I just ask 1 more question. Why is the window period extended for people who have had a needle stick injury. I have read(on www) that sometimes the window period is longer. Why is this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 08:38:37 am »
The extended period of time applies to health care workers, EMT's and Police that have been stuck with a needle Known to be contaminated with HIV positive blood. This covers the time they are on PEP. It's an over kill for the purpose of Insurances.

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 08:46:50 am »
Ok so the reason is not because it takes longer for the virus to infect, it is because the PEP drugs can mask an accurate result......Correct.   Thankyou Rapidrod.

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 06:11:27 am »
Is it true that HIV can be present in oral secretions? Would it also be true to say that any small amount of blood present would be rendered useless because of saliva killing the virus. Does saliva kill it or just change it? So basically even if there is tooth brushing blood then this is not going to be enough to infect someone?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:54:02 am »
Harvey,

Yes, hiv can be found in saliva, although not every hiv positive person will have detectable amounts.

There are over a dozen different enzymes and proteins present in saliva that inhibit hiv. What is meant by this is that these components of saliva damage, in several different ways, the outer shell of the virus.

The virus needs to have this outer shell intact in order to be able to infect. It has "plugs" that must bump into specific cells of the human body before it can insert itself into those cells - this is how it infects. There are only a few, very specific cells that have the correct receptors that can accept hiv's plugs. These cells are found in very specific places, such as in the lining of the urethra, foreskin, vagina and rectum.

Any hiv found in saliva will have been rendered incapable of infecting the specific cells it needs to infect in order to be transmitted to a new host. We have known this since the late 1980s. Saliva is NOT infectious. Period.

And you, by the way, are conclusively negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline harveynoble

Lab test result coming today.....
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 05:30:50 am »
I all, I'm just a bit worried. I went for a lab test today as I'm not going to trust the home test. I did 3 home tests all negative. Is there ANY chance the result will change. The home test is supposed to be 99.5%. I can't stand this any more.........Harvs.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Lab test result coming today.....
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 05:43:21 am »
Harvey is there a reason why this deserved a new thread? Perhaps you should read the Welcome Thread and review the posting rules for this forum.

MtD

Offline harveynoble

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 06:09:27 am »
Sorry Matty,
Dr just phoned. HIV1 and 2 Ag+Ab combo. NEGATIVE. That's the last HIV test I ever do. Goodbye aidsmeds community and I sincerely thankyou for your help and assurance.

Harvs.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 06:21:16 am »
Harvey,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

There is absolutely no reason to think your latest test result will be anything other than ANOTHER negative. You are already conclusively NEGATIVE.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.