Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:55:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Your Happy Place  (Read 3230 times)

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Your Happy Place
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:42:24 pm »
There's a pond in a state park nearby (Maybury).  I have sat on the dock at the pond and listened to the wind blow.  Once in a while the wind blows patterns on the water.  It's the place where I discovered in Michigan that taught me that there is beauty almost everywhere.   In the summer the trees surround the pond like giants.   In the fall those trees are afire in orange and yellow.  I even snowshoe here in the winter.  Earlier this year I took pics of the docks in the snow.

A couple other places have moved me in my life.  One is from the top of Mount Erie looking south to Deception Pass to Whidbey Island in my home state of Washington.    For as far as you can see, there are islands and water and mountains. 

Sometimes it's a place associated with a person.  I remember in college sitting in Rob's dorm room watching him type a term paper.  It was snowing outside in the cold Vermont night.  It was the first time I ever fell in love. 

Or, there are just places that are just inspiring  .... the swamps in Louisiana, the rainforest on Vancouver Island, Lake Baykal in Siberia, Chartres, the Canadian Rockies, Joshua Tree National Park, the hundreds of waterfalls that pepper the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Maine.

These are places that for me cannot compare to anywhere else.   I am happy there
When I'm in these places I feel calm, quiet, silent and centered.   

What are your places where you are happy?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:48:23 pm by dtwpuck »
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Texan38

Re: Your Happy Place
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »
I live in a desert city and there are times when I just need to get away and have some "me" time.  There's a place about 45 minutes from where I live called Ruidoso NM I enjoy driving to. I go from desert and sand to green forests that have picnic areas with creeks. The sound of the water, the fresh air, the soothing atmosphere is always worth the drive.  Although, every time I go I can't help but imagine a psychotic masked man coming at me with an ax so instead of staying the night, I always end up driving back home.  :D
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:16 am »

A couple other places have moved me in my life.  One is from the top of Mount Erie looking south to Deception Pass to Whidbey Island in my home state of Washington.    For as far as you can see, there are islands and water and mountains.  ...
These are places that for me cannot compare to anywhere else.   I am happy there
When I'm in these places I feel calm, quiet, silent and centered.   

What are your places where you are happy?

I love to travel to heavily wooded and/or mountainous areas. Each and every time I 'center' myself it involves solitude. None would qualify as '' happy place"  but time spent in wild areas contribute to a happier, more contented self. I recall.........Rocky Mountains, CO is the most memorable, vivid special place.

Summer 2010: Planning a 7-day solo canoe trip to BWCA (MN).

Mike

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »
My Happy  place is my  secret garden .
 We have 25  acres in the Ozark Mountains , Many years ago it must have been very nice .
Now it is very over grown with cedars and blackberry bushes !
 I love to walk the paths and often get lost .
   The peacefullness is very refreshing , and I carry choppers to clear something everytime I go
for a walk !
 Missouri has so many state parks and they are all FREE .
   I have started to ride my bike now that I have a cell phone . Bob now lets me out ......  LOL
The Ozarks have so many nice places to visit !

It is snowing today , maybe next week will be spring again !

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »
I applied for a job once in a community called Coalinga.  I had never been there before but it sounded so romantic, Coalinga, it rolls off the tongue, Coalinga, so Spanish sounding and ever so romantic.

I got the interview in  Coalinga and I knew there was a new life ahead for me in Coalinga  I arrived the day of the interview and it was a dust bowl of a railroad town.  The name Coalinga was from the old days when trains ran on coal and Coalinga, as romantic as it sounded, meant Coaling Station A and somewhere there was a Coaling Station B and a Coaling Station C.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:55:58 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:33 pm »
Here in Richmond -- I would have to say that it is the orchid room at our Botanical Garden -- so peaceful with a small waterfall.

My all-time happy place, where I can just close my eyes and revisit in my mind -- instantly calming any stress -- are the Cliffs of Moher in the west of Ireland.  So serenly beautiful......

Mike

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »
I applied for a job once in a community called Coalinga.  I had never been there before but it sounded so romantic, Coalinga, it rolls off the tongue, Coalinga, so Spanish sounding and ever so romantic.

I got the interview in  Coalinga and I knew there was a new life ahead for me in Coalinga  I arrived the day of the interview and it was a dust bowl of a railroad town.  The name Coalinga was from the old days when trains ran on coal and Coalinga, as romantic as it sounded, meant Coaling Station A and somewhere there was a Coaling Station B and a Coaling Station C.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

hahah   sounds like the town Novi in Michigan.   (pronounced Noh Vye)
Anyway, it means Number Six, as in No VI, like the sixth stop on a train line.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:04 pm »
Texan...  I love New Mexico.  It has such an intensely beautiful desolation.    You should come to Detroit.  Then you won't worry too much about crazy people in the countryside.

MJ... I miss the mountains.  I grew up in Washington State.  Now I live in Michigan.

Weasel ..  I remember really well driving across Oklahoma, then crossing into Arkansas into the Ouachitas.    We stayed there and then went up to the Ozarks afterward.  What a beautiful place, especially in contrast to what lies directly west of there.

Bocker... I was in Richmond for a business trip recently.  I really wish I had had a chance to see more.

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »
I have live in a lot of places.San Marcos TX-Singapore-Hong Kong-Florida-most of the southern states.I have found beauty in all the places all different that is what makes them beautiful.But the must time I lived in Southern Louisana an sometimes I take it for granted but it,s home.
Scooter

Texan...  I love New Mexico.  It has such an intensely beautiful desolation.    You should come to Detroit.  Then you won't worry too much about crazy people in the countryside.

MJ... I miss the mountains.  I grew up in Washington State.  Now I live in Michigan.

Weasel ..  I remember really well driving across Oklahoma, then crossing into Arkansas into the Ouachitas.    We stayed there and then went up to the Ozarks afterward.  What a beautiful place, especially in contrast to what lies directly west of there.

Bocker... I was in Richmond for a business trip recently.  I really wish I had had a chance to see more.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.