Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:39:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 636
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!  (Read 9654 times)

Offline Bsquared1967

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:24:50 pm »
Well, like everyone else on this forum. I just tested positive for HIV. 8 guys in 15 years, 2 unprotected....Syphilis and HIV from one(the last I'm assuming). Wish I could get those odds when buying my lottery tickets. A really hot guy from Kentucky. No real way to get in touch with him. Knew the risk I was taking, so no one to blame but myself. Have never been a "Why Me?" kind of person. Haven't seen my ID doctor as yet. Just did my initial today, most of the things covered I was familiar with, they took about a dozen vials of blood for all sorts of tests. Luckily, when I received the news from my primary care, we went ahead and did the CD4 and Viral load tests so that we had a good starting point. CD4 is at 1482 and my VL is 22,180. So it seems my immune system is still doing well. Go back in a month(2/26) to have first visit with ID, and I assume I'll be put on one of the combo meds to get the VL down to undetectable. The nurse that did my initial kept mentioning Triumeq(anyone have any experience?). I eat well, exercise regularly and have always had a pretty positive outlook on life. In it for the long haul. ANY advice or encouragement is always appreciated. So far, between PalmettoCare and the people that I've met so far in the  ID office at Spartanburg Regional, I feel I'm in very good hands medically speaking. Know I'll have to make some adjustments, just need to figure out what those adjustments might be. Guessing they're kind of situational? You just don't know till you have to deal with it. Thanks for reading, and as I said before, any advice or encouragement, as always, will be appreciated. By the way, 49 years old. Not that that really has anything to do with things. Just info. Never been very good at forums.
01/16-CD4-1,482(44.9%)VL-22,180
03/16-Triumeq
04/16-Und.,CD4 2,016-51.7%
06/16-Und.,CD4-1,462-52.2%
10/16-Und.,CD4-1588-56.7%
01/17-Und.,CD4-1470-58.8%
05/17-Und.,CD4-1450-60.40%
09/17-Und.,CD4-1807-58.30%

Offline lioness

Re: Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »
Hii Bsquared, wonna welcome you on this site and sorry about your diagnosis. To be honest, I really admire your attitude towards life and the way you are soo composed as you introduce yourself. I just wonna let you know that with your composure, you will have nice time adjusting to the new life you have just began. Wish you all the best

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but welcome to the forum.

Triumeq that your nurse mentioned is really good, at least that's been my own personal experience.

. Know I'll have to make some adjustments, just need to figure out what those adjustments might be. Guessing they're kind of situational? You just don't know till you have to deal with it.

Adjustments again my own personal situation it's just taking 1 pill a day and disclosure before sex. Otherwise it's pretty much no change, life as normal.
 I'll admit it did take me a while to realize that.

Anyhow wishing you all the best.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:09:33 am »
Noticed a great many noting their conversion dates. Is this important? Kind of confused about mine. Situation...On or about 12/13/16 I noticed that the lymph nodes in my groin(right side) had started to swell. Over the next couple of days I started to get a fever. The Holiday break from work started on 12/16, so I figured I'd get some NyQuil, rest and get rid of it. By that Friday a rash had started to form on my shins(eventually spreading upward to cover my torso. Fever, night sweats, constant slight headache, and what turned out to be the clue for me, epididimytis. These symptoms lasted a little over 2 weeks.Visited to my doctor(who took blood and urine), went back for results and he didn't know by results other than there was an infection somewhere. He prescribed 2 antibiotics and prednozone. Rescheduled for blood work when antibiotics were through. At that time, I asked the nurse if there was an STD panel scheduled(since I had read at the CDC website that epididimytis was often STD related. On the consult for the blood work it came in that I was positive for Syphilis(the HIV results had not come in yet). So know that you've read my life story. My question is, and probably hard to tell, was that my conversion, or just the results of the Syphilis? Went to the health dept and got the massive penicillin dose for the syphilis that afternoon. A couple of days later the doctor called me wanting to do more blood work. Which I was suspicious of due to the fact that I never heard back regarding the HIV results. Turns out he lied about the blood work, just wanted me in the office to tell me in person. He apologized for lying. Figured someone out there may have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance for any help.
  Really looking forward to my first visit with my ID doctor and getting treatment. So far(from what I've read here), I'm doing fairly well given my CD4/VL levels.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:04 am »
Hi B, welcome to the forums.  As far as your symptoms are concerned, I would say the rash was most likely related to the syphilis, and to be honest, everything else you experienced could have been related to the syphilis, or could have been seroconversion.  It's hard to tell, so really there's no reason to keep guessing.  I'm glad you got treated for the syphilis.  I guess I don't understand why your doctor would lie to get you back into the office, but what's happened has happened.

As for the meds, they have so many newer ones that hopefully you and your ID doctor can settle on a good combo, or just a one pill therapy.  I'm a long term survivor (tested poz in '89), and have been on so many different meds.  The meds today seem very effective with few side effects, which is good.

As for anything else, life goes on as normal for most newly diagnosed people, other than adding a med.  It's good you already exercise and eat well etc.  That's an excellent start, you should do well.

If you have any questions you're more than welcome to ask, talk about any support you need etc.  Hope to hear more from you!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miltonia15

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 03:39:37 am »
Hey Bsquared,

I was in a very similar situation to you. Knew all the risks involved with unprotected sex and still went ahead. I wasn't in a good place at that stage of my life and it was really no surprise that I became poz. I guess sometimes we learn things the hard way. I also had Syphilis that came with the HIV and had numerous symptoms that came with infection. Your CD4 is considered quite high and the meds should work very well to keep your numbers stable try starting out at 96!!!  :-[

In the meantime I wish you all the best, look at it as a new chapter in your life and I think soon there will be days where you won't even think about this illness. 

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »
just here for the jethro tull reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-bcFOI56E

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:48:25 am »
Thanks zach. The song has always meant something to me, and with recent events the lyrics have taken on a whole new significance.

"Do you ever get the feeling that the story's to damn real, and in the present tense?"

Really applies to any individual going through a tough time. Great band all the way around in my opinion though. Gotta love a rock band with an electric flute. lol
03/16-Triumeq

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:23:54 pm »

Adjustments again my own personal situation it's just taking 1 pill a day and disclosure before sex. Otherwise it's pretty much no change, life as normal.
 I'll admit it did take me a while to realize that.

True, very true, Jim. After the inital shock of diagnosis...life returns to a new 'normal'. Although I haven't had sex yet after my dx, I am think I am ready to cross the bridge of disclosure... Bsquared, we all made choices that might not have been the best in the past and we have taken responsibility for our HIV status. It is my fault, yes it is. It is no one else's. Upon dx I went to a support group made up mostly of gay males that seem just so out of touch... None seem to take responsibility. They all blamed their bf or their one night stand.. He should have told me... He knew he was HIV+ I believed him... When it was my turn to introduce myself, I said 'it is my fault'. I should have taken precautions.. I should have known (a female infected me and, you know, it was "heterosex"... HIV+ doesn't come that way....) Someone mentioned that I should have been told they were HIV+... Or should have I asked? As I told them, the responsibility is 100% mine and mine only... Why didn't I use a condom? Wishing you the best! And welcome...
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:14:57 pm »
Joseph - think thats a great post. Although I am not in the 'market' myself, I had a scan of various dating, hook-up and swinger sites (both straight and gay) to see what the latest vibe was both for HIV folk and how they present themselves, and HIV- folk and their attitudes.

It came as quite a shock really.

In both the gay hook up and swing/lifestyle sites, both of which are high-risk of course due to the potential for multiple-partners there seemed to be an presiding air of the accountability being on the person with the virus to disclose, usually coupled with a statement to indicate they wouldn't play if that was the case. But it was the subtext that was interesting....people on the swingers site for example would say that they wouldn't touch someone with HIV and care about their health too much to put themselves in that kind of danger, but will simultaneously have a profile looking for bare-back 'cream pie' gangbangs with multiple men...Most of whom I assume would either have never tested or not tested recently, and whom would simply not have even discussed status. The hypocrisy was laid bare, time and time again.

Gay hook-up sites seemed less outwardly judgemental but had profiles from people using terms like 'clean' and 'HIV- and plan to stay that way' whilst including photos of them receiving bareback anal on their profile.

It seemed to confirm two things.. Firstly, that in these settings, a poz person on meds who has been undetectable for some time would actually be significantly safer than a guy who either tested some months prior or had never tested. So ignorance of latest knowledge of the condition is still widespread, even amongst high-risk groups. I suppose that's natural to an extent and potentially 'fixable' over time, but the second striking thing was that people simply don't apply sensible logic to their risk decisions and don't feel that the onus is ultimately on the individual.

I took part in all manner of risky activities and also applied the above perverse logic to those interactions. Out of sight out of mind and all that. Don't get me wrong, the thrill of bareback sex can be amazing, but equally I can hardly complain at anyone but myself for those stupid decisions now.

If people take responsibility for their own health and insist on condoms, then the question of whether someone is HIV positive or not becomes moot.

And if people still want to bareback (which lets face it, a lot do), then knowing someones HIV status may be very important in the risk decision, but probably not in the way they think...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:17:03 pm by caveyuk »
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 11:38:23 pm »
First appointment with my ID Friday morning. Feeling a little nervous. From the results I've seen my bun/creat ratio is a little high and my anion gap is low. Everything else in the metabolic panel is normal. Not sure if she went ahead and did cd4 and VL as it was done just a week prior(1,482 cd4 and 20,000+VL). Hoping nothing else is an issue. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all of the kind words and support..
03/16-Triumeq

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 09:21:15 pm »
First appointment with my ID Friday morning. Feeling a little nervous. From the results I've seen my bun/creat ratio is a little high and my anion gap is low. Everything else in the metabolic panel is normal. Not sure if she went ahead and did cd4 and VL as it was done just a week prior(1,482 cd4 and 20,000+VL). Hoping nothing else is an issue. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all of the kind words and support..

ojo     Bsquared, everything is going to be fine, you'll see, so relax and let's us know how it goes...wow, I envy you, those soldiers (cd4) are great, congratulations...hugs                                               ojo

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:04:00 pm »
Went to first appointment with my ID today. She's putting me on Triumeq. Not sure when I'll actually start my meds, as I'm waiting for my ADAP application, etc.. Got Hep A and B shots, Pneumonia shot, an anal swab(she said that it's not part of the recommended guidelines yet, but probably will be soon(All forms of anal cancer). She killed off a couple of the supplements I take, and told me to cut down on the protein shakes a bit, as kidney function is really something that we need to keep an eye on overall, and to much protein if my kidneys were to go south a bit, would be bad. Point being, I feel more confidence in her after an hour, than with my regular doctor after 5 years. You guys are right I believe. Trust in my doctor and my meds, watch my diet, exercise, and all will be well. Thanks. Hugs and kisses to you all.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 10:18:02 am »
Just spent the last hour reading through the I just tested poz forum. All I have to say is wow. I am so lucky that I asked for that STD panel when I did. Given the state that a great many are in when they find out they are positive, I feel blessed. And, I was worried. Hope I don't sound horrible, just extremely grateful with my situation.
  As you may have read, I had my first appointment with my ID yesterday. Again, WOW. She was fantastic. Anyone in the Upstate of SC need a great ID, try Spartanburg Regional. Everyone I meet there yesterday(and since this all began-not to leave out PiedmontCare) have been extraordinary! Not only did my ID have great input and advice, also saw a mental health councilor, a dietitian, and a wonderful staff. All on staff in the same location. Realize that I'm very fortunate to be in the situation that I am in.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 12:48:57 pm »
Given the state that a great many are in when they find out they are positive, I feel blessed. And, I was worried. Hope I don't sound horrible, just extremely grateful with my situation. .
about 1/3 of people who receive an HIV diagnosis receive that diagnosis upon entering a hospital/ER. You have to imagine if someone has had to go to the hospital there must be something wrong, so while not everyone finds out they are dealing with AIDS quite a few do. :(

And you're certainly right! F inding out you're HIV+ by going in for testing while you're feeling good is a lot easier than being sick, in a hospital, and finding out it's the AIDS ;)

Hello from over here in Rock Hill!   ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 04:34:48 am »
Well, things just got a bit more real. Thought that I had fully accepted the fact that I was HIV positive.......until I went to take my first pill. That was a bit rough. Had to sit and think for a bit, but all is well I think. The only thing that has me really worried is the whole mail order pharmacy thing. Know I really shouldn't complain given others stories out there. Just don't like depending on the mail to receive something that I now need to take consistently and never run out of. Really should just count my blessings and shut up, insurance and ADAP make the meds cost nothing. The staff at PalmettoCare and Spartanburg Regional have been awesome, and the support I've received here(and in RL) have been outstanding. Thanks to all for listening.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 02:36:19 pm »
Well, things just got a bit more real. Thought that I had fully accepted the fact that I was HIV positive.......until I went to take my first pill. That was a bit rough. Had to sit and think for a bit, but all is well I think. The only thing that has me really worried is the whole mail order pharmacy thing. Know I really shouldn't complain given others stories out there. Just don't like depending on the mail to receive something that I now need to take consistently and never run out of. Really should just count my blessings and shut up, insurance and ADAP make the meds cost nothing. The staff at PalmettoCare and Spartanburg Regional have been awesome, and the support I've received here(and in RL) have been outstanding. Thanks to all for listening.

ojo           Hello Bsquared....welcome.....it will take time for you to digest your new normal, br greatful that you have a med to take and will stopr hiv from damaging your immune system and, it will keep you healthy...about the mail order, I've been using this service for 21 years, I have not had any problems, well, just twice with a med it was supposed to be refrigerated and because of bad weather (snow), it came home with the icepad melted, other than that, no problems at all, I do not take that medication anymore, so, do not worry about the mail service,, they will be calling you when its time for your refill in advance...I'm glad you are happy with your ID doctor...wishing you the gest...hugs                                             ojo

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:34 pm »
Had my 30 days appointment with my ID today. Couldn't be happier with the results. <20 copies on  my V.L., and CD4 at 2,016(51.7%). That last kind of freaked me out a bit, given the "normal" ranges I've seen posted. Doc said don't worry about it, just stay undetectable. My experience with Triumeq has been great so far, with no ill effects. Also.got my 2nd  HepB shot(last one in four weeks), and last Pneumonia vaccination. One month down with many more to go.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:46:09 pm »
CD4 at 2,016(51.7%). That last kind of freaked me out a bit, given the "normal" ranges I've seen posted. Doc said don't worry about it, just stay undetectable.
just another reason to not worry about the cd4 count LOL although I would imagine that most anyone worrying about their really low cd4 count would be happy to worry about your "first-world" type of trouble of really really high cd4s. :D ROFL

congrats on UD! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:13 pm »

ojo          Hello Bsquared...you have too many soldiers (cd4) share some with me...congratulations, great numbers...hugs                                                     ojo

Offline Bsquared1967

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:06 pm »
just another reason to not worry about the cd4 count LOL although I would imagine that most anyone worrying about their really low cd4 count would be happy to worry about your "first-world" type of trouble of really really high cd4s. :D ROFL

congrats on UD! :D

Yes, told her about what you had stated in another post regarding cd4 counts/%, and she confirmed that that was the new norm. Unless you drop below 200 or so, just disregard the count and try to focus on exercise, eating well, keeping stress low, and keeping to your meds. STAY UNDETECTABLE....that's your best bet. Thanks for the well wishes, and tonny, if I could I definitely would. Feeling very blessed at the moment.
03/16-Triumeq

Offline Bartlett

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 12:13:30 am »
So awesome Bsquared - thanks for sharing your good report!
DX 1/25/16
3/30/16 - CD4 368 20% VL: 48k
6/7/16 - RX for Genvoya
7/25/16 - VL: <20; CD4 461/17%
11/28/16 - VL: UD; CD4 357/19%
3/20/17 - VL: UD; CD4 489 / 22%
7/24/17 - VL: UD; CD4 449 / 23%
11/21/17 - VL:UD; CD4 523 / 22%
3/27/18 - VL: UD; CD4 580/21%
7/31/18 - VL: 90 ; CD4 552/23%
10/31/18 - VL: UD; CD4 502/29%
01/18/19 - VL: 30; CD4 518/34%
04/29/19 - VL: UD; CD4 707/27%
7/16/19 - VL: UD; CD4 497/27%
12/4/19 - VL: UD; CD4 527/29%
04/6/20 - VL: UD; CD4 668/27%
4/1/21 - VL: UD; CD4 470/29%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.