Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:06:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 180
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My first active"World Aids day" in NZ  (Read 3226 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
My first active"World Aids day" in NZ
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:10:08 pm »
Hi everyone.
I know some of you have seen this already (I sent out the first edition to you) but I wasn't sure wether or not to post this..but my son talked me into it and thought it a good idea..any feed back, critisism, or advise would be listened to and appreciated...this was the first time I have been able to do anything on "World Aids day" in my community..and it was a great experience for me..thanks for reading.

Hugs
Jan :-*

L O C A L   N E W S   S T O R Y   

Plea for Aids education for youth
02 December 2006 
By John Anderson

(second editition)

Matarua woman Jan Waddell believes Southland is in desperate need of HIV-Aids education for youth.

Mrs Waddell was diagnosed with HIV in 2002 after being pricked with a patient's needle while working as a nurse in Australia.

The disease was still hiding in the shadows and there was not enough public awareness, particularly among the younger generation, she said.

"It's hard to get them to do the right thing, especially when drugs and alcohol are involved. They're not thinking properly, and safe sex is something they don't seem to worry about so we need to better educate them."

The larger centres have more support channels for HIV-Aids sufferers, but the closest New Zealand Aids Foundation centre was in Christchurch, a seven-hour drive from Invercargill.

Mrs Waddell, who lives on a farm with her husband, said HIV was still considered a "gay disease" in these parts and people did not realise how many heterosexual people were being diagnosed with HIV every year.

The standard of living for HIV sufferers is far better than it had been in the 80's, with many more drugs on the market.

However, they still cause nasty side effects, she said.

The availability of drugs have caused complacency in the younger generation, because they no longer thought of it as a big deal to be HIV positive.
 Mrs Waddell said the stigma attached to the disease was still around, but said so far she had not been a victim in NZ and has put this down to her openness about her HIV status.

Mrs Waddell along with her HIV-Aids Support Group and a team of friends hit the streets yesterday collecting donations and giving out red ribbons to mark World Aids Day.

Mrs Waddell said the response from the public had been really good and she was pleased with the number of people giving donations, even though the day was more about getting public awareness for HIV-Aids.

People donated even if they did not want to wear a ribbon, she said.

Mrs Waddell regularly talks with Otago and Dunedin University health science students and Medical students in a bid to raise awareness among the future medical practitioners.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: My first active"World Aids day" in NZ
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:28:35 pm »
Jan

You are an inspiration.  Your courage to put yourself out there publicly, not only for educational purposes, but to present the reality of the ever broadening face of HIV, is something that we should all applaud. 

I admire you more (if that's even possible--cause you had me at "hello" about 3 years ago) each and every day.

RAB

P.S. remind me to tell you the remarkable experience I had with a high school class today.  They blew me away with how knowledgeable they were.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 06:34:07 pm »
Good work Jan,

Here in Sonoma County, we had hoped for an organized memorial memorial service with candle lighting in a park.  Our Persons Living With HIV/AIDS Committee (PAC) had discussed this idea last year as there were no functions to attend.  The Public Health Department has a display in Santa Rosa on AIDS (globally, locally and individually) which will be open for the month of December.  It seems that you and your friends in NZ have done more in one day than we have in an entire year.  Very good job... Have the best day
Michael

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »
WTG Jan!

You are an inspirition!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:54:52 pm »
Yay Jan.   Our angel is spreading her wings.....

Very fitting for World AIDS Day!

hugs & kisses,

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:04:33 pm »
Hey Jan,

Indeed you are a true inspiration. My hat goes off to you for your efforts.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 05:02:52 am »
Jan,

You truly are an inspiration.  You roll up your sleeves and get down in the trenches (and manage to look fabulous while doing it  :D)!

Love,
John

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 06:02:15 pm »
Jan this is great.  I'm glad you posted it so that the wider audience can see it.  I especially like this part...

Mrs Waddell said the stigma attached to the disease was still around, but said so far she had not been a victim in NZ and has put this down to her openness about her HIV status.
This is so true.  So much of the stigma is self-inflicted.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing.  You're an inspiration.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 07:35:06 pm »
Great work, Jan. You are one allaround sweetheart!

Big hugs and cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.