Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:01:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 448
Total: 450

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Things To Watch Out When You Are HIV+  (Read 4499 times)

Offline pinkadam

Things To Watch Out When You Are HIV+
« on: October 17, 2006, 08:08:44 pm »
Hi Guys

Recently diagnosed HIV+ (Tcell 57 and VL 70000). Suffered from PCP pnumonia and finally feeling normal after couple of weeks of medication. My doctor still want me to take Mepron(allergic to Bactrim) once a day rather than twice day.

Currently on Truvada and Sustiva. How would i know this is the right medication and what all the things i should watch out.

Iam back to work after 5 weeks. I feel good some days and some days i feel little down along with diziness(which is a side effect of sustiva).

Also iam trying to figure out what all the things i should watch out. My doctor suggest that i should do everything i used to do before i was diagnosed of HIV. For me this is kind of hard to believe as this is a deadly disease and my doc treats me like a regular disease. He never seem to be concerned. This is worrying me alot.

I dont know if iam being paranoid.

All suggestions welcome !!!

Thanks a lot
Tony

Offline Esquare

Re: Things To Watch Out When You Are HIV+
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:53:28 pm »
Tony,

I am in a similar boat. My doctor tells me to go on living my life as I always have and even though I feel good and my side effects of treatment are not too bad its just hard to do I guess. I am working at the same rate although I'm dodging going into big cities at the moment. I guess once I get my first few test results out of the way to see how the drugs are working I might feel a little more comfortable carrying on as usual. Hopefully this will pass and is more of a mental challenge.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:02:54 pm »
Hey Tony,
The Mepron is needed until your CD4s rebound to a comfortable level, usually above 200 and, better still, above 250, so your doc sounds like he is right on the mark there.

Truvada and Sustiva work very well for some, in fact, many people. You must be diligent in taking the medications, i.e. taking them when your are supposed to and not skipping doses. That is very important.

The side effects of the Sustive should wear off or at least lessen considerably in two weeks to two months.

Regarding other things to watch out for, one of the first would be not to let the "what ifs" govern your life. I know this isn't easy, especially when you are recently diagnosed and have already had a run-in with an OI like PCP.

One of the problems with this disease is it behaves differently from one person to another. I have known people who had CD4 counts of less than 10 who lived for a long while without a problem. Likewise, I have known others who have had relatively high CD4 counts and still had problem after problem.

It is a very individual thing.

First thing i would do is read through the lessons here at this site. They give a good overview of the disease, the opportunistic infections and the medications.

Just take your time reading them. There is a lot to absorb.

I agree with your doctor regarding continuing to live your life. I would just add that in all things, use moderation. I also, just because it is prudent, would forego drinking, or at least heavy drinking, because alcohol by itself can lower your CD4 levels.

I know telling you to try to continue to live your life probably rings pretty hollow at this point. But life does go on, It is different from this point forward, but different needn't be bad, It can be very good too.

There are a few things to watch out for because of your CD4 level.

Be careful with your food. No undercooked meats, poultry or fish. No soft ripened cheese, such as Camembert, Bleu or Brie, and no undercooked eggs. (Both yolks and whites should be fully cooked, not runny.)

Wash all fruits and vegetables and make sure you practice good kitchen hygiene at home.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for or if this helps.

If you have some specific questions, please ask and I or someone here will certainly try to do our best to answer them, if we can.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pinkadam

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 09:57:16 pm »
Mark

You answered most of my questions.I just wanna make sure iam doing things right. I know some one who went to India ,ate bad food(on streets) ,came back to US and hospitalized and died.
So iam trying to figure out what i shoud avaoid totally.

With Love
Tony

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:03:02 am »
Hey Pink,

Glad I was some help.

I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but food-borne illnesses can be very dangerous to us hi-fivers.

Your friend did something that is a real no-no. NEVER eat from street vendors, either in the U.S. or elsewhere. If your CD4s were higher, it might not be as much a threat, but at 57, I would avoid them.

Just another note, watch out for cold cuts (bologna, salami, etc.) They are among the most dangerous things you can eat. If you do want to include them in your diet, microwave the slice of bologna or whatever for 30 seconds to a minute, so that it is hot. That will kill any bacteria.

Also, make sure any cheese or milk product is made with pastuerized milk. There are some aged cheeses that may not be.

A little diligence can pay big health dividends.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:32:20 pm »
Hello Tony,

Just to add, to what has already been stated( and this is quite basic, but very important. Get in the habit( if you are not already) of washing your hands more often, especially now during flu season.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/washing_hands.html

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.