Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Increased cpk  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Poz_88

Increased cpk
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:57:37 am »
Hello everyone. I have been on Truvada-Rezolsta treatment for ten months and in my last blood test the cpk (creatine phosphokinase test)was very increased (3,500). Could this be a side effect from the treatment? Does it mean that there is damage in my kidneys? Does this mean that I shall change my medication? On Monday I will repeat the test,but Monday is too long to wait. If anyone knows something more about this issue it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Increased cpk
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:13:53 am »
Hi Poz-88,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry to hear you are having problems.
I can google the same as you to what the normal range would be, but best advice I can give is to ask your doctor.
We also have a member who is very knowledgeable about labs, maybe he will weigh in.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:34 am »
Hi and welcome,

Can i ask you do you take protein powders ? I was called back once for raised kidney levels(creatinine) and the culprit was protein powder.It wasn`t the first time they had come across it either,apparently quite common.I stopped taking it and my values went back to normal.

hope this helps some.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Poz_88

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:42:37 am »
I don't take protein powder. The highest normal value should be around 200. And mine is 3,500 :(

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
Had a little root around and found this -

When the total CPK level is very high, it most often means there has been injury or stress to muscle tissue, the heart, or the brain.

Muscle tissue injury is most likely. When a muscle is damaged, CPK leaks into the bloodstream. Finding which specific form of CPK is high helps determine which tissue has been damaged.

This test may be used to:

Diagnose heart attack
Evaluate cause of chest pain
Determine if or how badly a muscle is damaged
Detect dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and other muscle diseases
Tell the difference between malignant hyperthermia and postoperative infection
The pattern and timing of a rise or fall in CPK levels can be significant in making a diagnosis. This is particularly true if a heart attack is suspected.

In most cases other tests are used instead of or with this test to diagnose a heart attack.

Perhaps you found this or similar yourself.From this,if you are not experiencing heart or head problems perhaps its a muscle injury of some kind ?

How do you feel ?
Dx`d mid July 2016
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150

Offline Poz_88

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »
I work out mildly three times a week, haven't experienced anything like this before. I am thinking that this has to do with truvada side effects.

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »
There are a good few much more experienced members here that will no doubt be able to help you before the night is out.

i hope all goes well.let us know how you get on.
Dx`d mid July 2016
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150

Offline Poz_88

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:47:22 pm »
If anyone has experienced anything like that please reply because I am stressed out. I try to think positive, but I am really concerned.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »
It has been said before, talk to your doctor.

Offline Poz_88

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 10:25:16 am »
I have talked to my doctor, on Monday I am going to repeat the blood test. But Monday is too long to wait and I was wondering if anyone has experienced something like that.

Offline Poz_88

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:17 am »
If it is a truvada side effect it must have happened to some other people too.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:42:03 am »
I have talked to my doctor, on Monday I am going to repeat the blood test. But Monday is too long to wait and I was wondering if anyone has experienced something like that.

Why is it too long to wait??  How do you feel??  Why do you seem convinced that it is the Truvada??

Your doctor wants to see a repeat of the CPK level -- a single result out of the ordinary for you should ALWAYS be repeated.  This is especially true when there are no other symptoms to point to an underlying issue.  The first thing that a doctor is likely to think about with a CPK like that is a heart attack, but you haven't mentioned any episode of chest pain, so I am assuming that you haven't had any.

Other than that -- muscle trauma is the next likely scenario -- (remember, the heart is a muscle), as all muscle will release CPK when damaged.

Of course, it could also be a lab error.

At this point you need to trust your doctor.  Asking what other's experience with raised CPK is useless, as everyone is unique.

Take a breathe, stop focusing on this "number" and just go about your life.  If you feel fine, you likely are fine in this case.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.