Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:39:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 250
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 250
Total: 251

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: unidentified rash  (Read 12407 times)

Offline wolfter

unidentified rash
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »
A quick recap, last night at work (around 3:00 am) I was convinced I was having another heart attack.  The pain was worse than the previous ones.  I contemplated calling the quad which says something as I never consider that.

I propped the side door open and laid on a bench, cell phone in hand just in case.  It subsided after a couple of hours and I managed to drive home.  I immediately went to bed still in quite a bit of discomfort.  I was getting ready to head out and as I was stepping into the shower, I caught a glimpse of this in the mirror. 

Of course I'll contact my doctor, but this just seems so strange and can't recall ever seeing such a thing.  Does this look recognizable to anyone?

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

Re: unidentified rash
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:21:48 pm »
Yikes! I don't have a clue and hope others chime in soon. I would head to the emergency room if it were me. Pain like a heart attack should be a huge red flag. No delay EVER!

YIKES!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:30:46 pm »
I'm with Mitch -- GET YOUR ASS TO A DOCTOR NOW!!  Never ignore acute chest pains -- EVER.

report back after you return, please.   :-*

Mike

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Secondary Syphilis??
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
I just spoke to him and he is being a stubborn SOB. UGH!!! I tried my best.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »
Looks like shingles in the prodrome phase.  If you don't go to the doctor, you'll be sorry.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:32:57 am »
I tried not to let it be noticeable but I had a couple of people comment on how I was holding my arm.  I will contact both my dr and cardiologist tomorrow.  I'm not so much stubborn as I have so many experiences with our local ER's where they indicate nothing is wrong.

I showed it to my brother tonight and he said he was immediately taking me and I said hell no.  We had to win at cards.  :O

I didn't share the fact that my mother was recently diagnosed with leukemia and is getting ready to start treatment.  they have to be so tired of dealing with my illnesses and it has to be about her now.

but I will hold the phone close by and appreciate you all.

Wolfie

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:37 am »
Wolfie,

I hope it is nothing to write home about and maybe something you've come into contact with while working at your home.  But, that is an odd place for that, unless you are working with your shirt off.  I know you're not going tonight, but please pressure your doc to get in tomorrow, if they give you some appt off from now. 

Take care! 

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
I am sorry to hear off your Mother,s news .

The picture is a male brest with an unidentified rash on it that needs checking out .

All the best
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:54:56 am »
 Do you have a fever?

I would be worried about sepsis.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:22 pm »
I wouldn't wait until tomorrow -- that looks truly awful Wolftie. Either get to your doctor's office or go to the ER and have your brother take you. I, too, do not like going to the ER and prefer making a "walk in" at my HIV doctor's office but whichever is easier where you live I think you should do it this afternoon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »
I didn't share the fact that my mother was recently diagnosed with leukemia and is getting ready to start treatment.  they have to be so tired of dealing with my illnesses and it has to be about her now.

Wolfie

Dear Wolfie,

You need to see a doctor NOW, no excuses, period.  Your comment in bold type is one of the sorriest excuses I have ever read.  If they were tired of dealing with your health issues, then they would not offer to take you for treatment.  Please stop deciding what they can handle and trust them, to tell you, if it ever becomes an issue.  What I see, is your family is concerned about ALL family members.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »
Thanks guys.  Thanks to modern technology, I was able to send pics to my dr.  In his reply, he obviously indicated he couldn't diagnose from a pic and made an apt for Thursday.  He did indicate that it could possibly be petechiae (sp?).  He suggested going to the urgent care facility if it worsens or the pain returns.

After researching that term, it makes logical sense because it's the same location that I injured after my accident last week.  I've been through some painful ass shit through the years, but this was horrid.  I hope that's all it is as it's not too serious.  Who would have thought that ruptured blood vessels could be so painful?   :D

G

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »
I've heard of that, but had to google to refresh my memory.  If from injury, would it present days later?  Or, it could have been there and you never noticed it?  I noticed the medicine and illness possible causes listed at Mayo.com.  Well, glad your doc was able to see it, even though you have to wait for appt. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/petechiae/my01104

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:25 pm »
I've heard of that, but had to google to refresh my memory.  If from injury, would it present days later?  Or, it could have been there and you never noticed it?  I noticed the medicine and illness possible causes listed at Mayo.com.  Well, glad your doc was able to see it, even though you have to wait for appt. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/petechiae/my01104

No, it wasn't there.  It suddenly appeared Monday morning following the previous night's episode.  As you can imagine, I've searched tirelessly.   :o  It is possible for this to happen long after an injury.  Capillaries can be damaged but not erupt for some time.  I've read a lot of anecdotal stories of people who also experienced excruciating pain before this appeared. 

It is already starting to feel better.  Just resting and taking it easy is probably what I needed.  I shouldn't have worked so much while being injured and in pain.  I'll learn that lesson eventually.  I stopped by the house this evening to check on the progress and it took all my strength to not jump in and help. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:32 am »
OK, broke down and went to the urgent care facility this afternoon.  He was immediately worried that I had spleen damage as the petechiae was directly where a spleen injury would manifest itself.  This doctor wouldn't perform any xrays and ordered me directly to the ER.

After MRI's and X-rays, it was determined that I only have a couple of fractured ribs.  He also believes that it was simply capillaries that were damaged and eventually ruptured.  He also pointed out the huge bruise over my collar bone that I hadn't noticed.  The on-going pain is probably due to muscle injury.  So 2 new pills to take every day for the rest of the next 10 days.   ;D

Naproxen and cyclobenzaprine. 

I think this is the first time in my life I left an ER without devastating news.  ;)

Greg

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:33 am »
OK, broke down and went to the urgent care facility this afternoon.  He was immediately worried that I had spleen damage as the petechiae was directly where a spleen injury would manifest itself.  This doctor wouldn't perform any xrays and ordered me directly to the ER.

After MRI's and X-rays, it was determined that I only have a couple of fractured ribs.  He also believes that it was simply capillaries that were damaged and eventually ruptured.  He also pointed out the huge bruise over my collar bone that I hadn't noticed.  The on-going pain is probably due to muscle injury.  So 2 new pills to take every day for the rest of the next 10 days.   ;D

Naproxen and cyclobenzaprine. 

I think this is the first time in my life I left an ER without devastating news.  ;)

Greg

Well, Jebus!  We need to fit you with airbags.  Well, great news it wasn't the spleen of anything more serious like that.  Btw, spleen injury could cause a rash like that?  I assume that meant physical damage to the spleen and not from health issues that upset the spleen.  Perhaps both? 

Take care of yourself.  Don't be doing work around the house.  Take up knitting or something in the meantime.  Although, I'm afraid you would stab yourself with the knitting needles.  ;)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:18 am »

That must be a all round relief Wolfie. Go easy you got a couple off weak ribs till  they bond , and a broken rib is very hard to be funny about ,
All the Best
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mitch777

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 10:53:36 am »
Greg,

So glad that you finally had it checked out and that it wasn't your spleen. A friend of mine was in a bad car accident a few years ago and had broken ribs. He suffered from pain for many months. I guess they can take quite some time to heal.

Take it easy. I like Ted's knitting idea but have the same concerns about those needles.  :)

Get well!

m.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 11:11:35 am »
I didn't do a lot of additional research as it didn't apply.  But from my understanding, blunt force trauma can cause your spleen to rupture without a person knowing it.  The blood gathers under the skin that causes patches.  That's all layman's terms.

I think I've learned a lesson here.  I could have avoided a week's worth of misery and pain by simply having it checked out.  I never realized how much relief muscle relaxers could be.  I had the greatest night's sleep night and actually woke up feeling refreshed.  I'm just so fearful of ER's, I've never entered one where they didn't keep me for a long period.  :)

That begs another question, could muscle relaxers be used as an on-going sleep aid? Is there a class of drugs along those lines that might be beneficial?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 11:34:13 am »
My Dad died of a bleeding disorder and would get patches like you had but the difference was he would then go on to have massive bleeding under the skin . It was horribly painful and nothing could be done in his situation . His would go on the be large patches of black and deep purple skin and because he could not clot the doctors could do nothing because to operate would make it worse .

Like I said , your situation is not similar to the severity and you dont have an underlying bleeding disorder but I bet it was not a comfortable thing to deal with . Get yourself to the doctor next time you take a tumble ,also if you are prone to this type injury watch out for the health of your liver because that directly affects clotting . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 11:41:18 am »
wolftie, I've been taking muscle relaxers daily since I had a flare-up with my back after my last surgery. I've been taking cyclobenzaprine and my doctor said it's something that is OK to take "for a while" but I assume that meant not long-term. I have two weeks worth of pills left and I'm thinking of going off it now and saving what remains for a rainy day. It says here that it is really only for short term use up to 2-3 weeks though I've now been on it for 7 weeks.

Anyway, no I don't think it's a solution to long term sleep issues.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
I certainly will Jeff.  I just get so stubborn.  Somehow that has served me well.   :o

Couldn't they have given your dad a clotting agent?  It's disheartening to ever hear nothing can be done.  And yes, as those blood vessels were rupturing, it was horrendous pain which is why I considered calling the squad for the first time in my life.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:09 am »
wolftie, I've been taking muscle relaxers daily since I had a flare-up with my back after my last surgery. I've been taking cyclobenzaprine and my doctor said it's something that is OK to take "for a while" but I assume that meant not long-term. I have two weeks worth of pills left and I'm thinking of going off it now and saving what remains for a rainy day. It says here that it is really only for short term use up to 2-3 weeks though I've now been on it for 7 weeks.

Anyway, no I don't think it's a solution to long term sleep issues.

Something has to give.  These damn sleep issues are probably contributing to these many injuries.  I feel so freaking exhausted all the time, yet my hyperactivity dictates that I go, go, go.  I have a week's worth of these so that should get me through til I see my Dr.  He is doing a med change and I so hope that helps.

Thanks
Greg

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »
I was not aware that you have been having sleeping issues and/or that they are long-standing. I suppose you just need to be more insistent with your doctor. Are you on any non-HIV medications that may be exasperating this issue?

I had to get really insistent about my sleep issues with my doctor right after my last foot surgery, and he finally gave me a prescription for Rozerem: http://www.rozerem.com  His thinking, I believe, is that this medication is easier to come off of than starting an Ambien habit. Unfortunately my Medicare Part D insurer, Wellcare, balked at covering it and tried to force the generic of Ambien on me, but I know Betty is on this medication and she's also on Medicare Part D I assume so perhaps you can discuss this option with your doctor.

Anyway, I'm also on klonopin and have been for over a decade. My sleep issues oddly are now better and as long as I pop a klonnie at 10 PM I'm good to go. Of course, this is an addictive drug but I'm way past that phase. My issue anyway is more generalized anxiety, which can then turn around and cause sleep problems. And my sleep problems pre-date Isentress anyway.

If you are like me, any sleep deprivation ruins not just your day but more or less everything longer than a single day. It's a huge quality of life issue as far as I'm concerned and after dealing with HIV for longer than two decades the least my doctors can do is make sure I am sleeping adequately. I really don't think that is too much too ask. I make sure to form good sleep habits, like turning lights down after 8 PM and trying to stay away from computer/iPad/cellphone use because that blue light is supposedly not good for getting into healthy sleeping patters.  Also, if you snore you may wish to consider a sleep study to rule out apnea issues. I know you are skinny but so am I and I actually had apnea for years. It's not common in this body type, but it can happen.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:28:22 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 07:01:07 pm »
I certainly will Jeff.  I just get so stubborn.  Somehow that has served me well.   :o

Couldn't they have given your dad a clotting agent?  It's disheartening to ever hear nothing can be done.  And yes, as those blood vessels were rupturing, it was horrendous pain which is why I considered calling the squad for the first time in my life.

Dad suffered from myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS, formerly known as preleukemia) . there are no effective long term treatments and you eventually bleed to death , in his case a vessel in his brain resulted in his death . He also was an alcoholic with severe cirrhosis of the liver , all that combined made clotting agents useless .

A friend swatted my dad on the back with a newspaper to get his attention one night and he bled under the skin , that's how I know how painful those vessels are when they rupture .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 10:29:47 am »
Thanks MissP.  I never had sleep issues until I started my current combo.  I started complaining almost immediately but there were no changes available because of resistance issues.

I love this Flexeril, 2 nights in a row where I slept the entire night.  I've tried several over the counter meds along with a few prescription ones that did nothing.
Dad suffered from myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS, formerly known as preleukemia) . there are no effective long term treatments and you eventually bleed to death , seless .

I only mentioned in passing that my mother was just diagnosed with leukemia.  They did several bone morrow tests after transferring her care to the James Cancer Center in Columbus.  She rec'd her exact diagnosis yesterday;  myeloproliferative/myelodysplastic syndrome.

Sheot, they also told her there no long term treatments and that the chemo will eventually cease to work.  I really need to start researching extensively.  To be told you could possibly live a few more years if everything goes right must be tough.  Oh, I forgot, many of us were told that exact thing.   ;D  I reminded her of what she told me, that you have to fight and believe you can beat it and hope better treatments come along.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.