Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:01:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Airconditioners - good or bad ?  (Read 5333 times)

Offline SASA39

Airconditioners - good or bad ?
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:57:56 pm »
Do you thin that air -conditioners are good ( for making house temperature and humidity lower especially in hot days ) or bad ( because they can be a source of a nasty fungal infections and provoke  blood regulation imbalance in our bodies) ?
If you have any additional reasons for good/bad please add.........
That would be all from me for today I hope......................
                                                      Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline Cliff

Re: Airconditioners - good or bad ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:04:35 pm »
Good.  Try living in Texas without one.  Fungus be damned.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:17:31 pm »
Good.  Try living in Texas without one.  Fungus be damned.

Tee Hee Hee...Memphis in August without air...you are dead in 24.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:33:58 pm »

Tee Hee Hee...Memphis in August without air...you are dead in 24.

Oh, I agree.  Tampa in July is no picnic.  And when I was with my uncle in the ICU in Austria they had no AC...not pleasant...especially wearing the plastic smock they made you wear...

However, if you think about, humans have certainly been on earth longer without AC than with AC.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 02:55:16 pm »
In Belgrade In August temperature could rise to a 106 F with a nearly 95% humidity . And by night it is due to a lot of cement about 82 F .
And if you set your airconditioner to a let`s say 93 F it still makes a difference of a 13 F and it is not good for your blood vessels.
( not to mention those damn fungal things )
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:56:37 pm »
In puerto rico its WAY to hot for me to sleep without airconditioner ....even at this time of the year (except once in a while when its rained all day)....

but i only sleep with the air conditioner its off the rest of the day....electricity is way expensive here....

but i rather deal with germs/fungus than not be able to sleep because im too hot hehe
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline curmudgeonly

• Pet the pussy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
Having an air-conditioner in some climates is almost a prerequisite for survival, at least for modern humans in the wealthier countries.   Many air-conditioners still spew ozone-depleting gases and they all suck up electricity like mad so on an ecological level they may not be so desirable.  Even though that's the case I could not survive in summer without air-conditioning.  I tried to many years ago as an earnest 20 something and decided I'd expend even more electricity and gas washing my sheets every day since one set was good only for one sweaty night. 

I live in an area of high humidity and mold, mildew, and fungi are a fact of life.  Even with air-conditioning spores are all over the place.  If the air-conditioning is set too high moisture seeps in and anything absorbent is fair game for a mystery growth.  My central ac fan probably spreads spores galore as it blows cooler air around the house.
Life is full of pain, I'm cruisin' through my brain
And I fill my nose with snow and go Rimbaud,
Go Rimbaud, go Rimbaud,
And go Johnny go, and do the watusi, oh do the watusi

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 04:05:15 pm »
When I lived in Boston I never had AC, and except for perhaps ten nights per year, it was livable. On those ten nights I coped with fans which just blew the hot, humid. polluted air around my apartment.

In Ft Lauderdale we are sub-tropical and it is always warm when it's not roasting and sweltering when not merely uncomfortably humid. Certain allowances are made (minimum of clothing, for starters) but from April through November it would be unthinkable without AC.

Brent
(Who's been known to bitch about the weather)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
Well, here in the great Southwestern U.S., our humidity historically ranges between 8 percent and 15 percent, so it isn't too moist and evaporative coolers work just great. I live in a desert and love it.

During the evenings, we usually just open the windows and doors and let a fan move the air around because the temp will drop 30 degrees after the sun sets. It really is quite nice.

There are a few weeks when it is uncomfortably hot, (more than 100 degrees F) and during the monsoon season, the humidity level rises and makes evaporative coolers less effective. During those periods, I do have an air conditioner window unit I use in the bedroom to make sure I can sleep.

But, for the most part, I don't like refrigerated air. I almost always become ill when I spend much time in it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 07:59:58 pm »
Whilst Virginia is known for having four very distinct seasons... summertime is a bitch.

Especially when you live in the middle of an urban heat island.

Liz, Benj, and Megatron (this was before Rimbaud was around) spent the summer of 2005 with no air conditioning in Richmond.

Picture one homosexual in underwear strewn languidly over a sofa and sweating profusely into the upholstery, one chica with large boobs also in underwear strewn languidly over a loveseat and sweating profusely into the upholstery, and one black Manx cat lying on his back with his legs spread out making a pitiful noise that probably translated to "Lord, please... take me now" and that's what May to September was like.

We now have A/C window units.

The ozone layer doesn't cool my house.   ;)
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:08:03 pm »
How big were those boobs again?

:-*
Brent
(Who appreciates a healthy rack)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:10:33 pm »
How big were those boobs again?

:-*
Brent
(Who appreciates a healthy rack)

Liz has a D to a double D and towers at five feet tall exactly.

So they look extra big by comparison.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 08:24:08 pm »
Do you thin that air -conditioners are good ( for making house temperature and humidity lower especially in hot days ) or bad ( because they can be a source of a nasty fungal infections and provoke  blood regulation imbalance in our bodies) ?
If you have any additional reasons for good/bad please add.........
That would be all from me for today I hope......................
                                                      Al

Couldn't survive without Air conditioning. We've already got ours going, and it's only March. It's just like any other appliance.

You need to keep it clean, and keep the filters changed. That way you wont have the problems of mold or fungus growing within the unit.

I change the filter every 2 months, and clean with bleach/ water solution, about 3 times a year. There are pellets you can purchase to put in the drip pan, to prevent slime and odor.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »
You can't live in a manufactured home here without AC. I went one day last July without it and it got up to 103 inside. So, yes AC makes a difference.

Offline Jody

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 11:11:06 pm »
New York is also quite humid in the summer of course (every place east of the Mississippi river is) and it is tough to live without it...I'm not wasteful and can even do without it during the day and will shut it off for brief periods when I am home...But to sleep without it is impossible, though yes people survived without it for all time until the last half of the 20th century so we are a bit spoiled.

I worry about the pigeon poop that gets into them, I also clean my filters periodically.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Christine

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 11:27:32 am »
Air Conditioner- YES.  We have a wall unit, and I run the vacuum over the inside to get the dust, and then I wash the filter every know and then.  We don't run it all the time, only when it gets really hot and humid. We have ceiling fans which help also.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:44:04 pm »
But to sleep without it is impossible, though yes people survived without it for all time until the last half of the 20th century so we are a bit spoiled.

If air conditioners were more popular in Europe (I used to live in Germany and know that they're generally not needed... I pine for pleasant North Atlantic summers from time to time), perhaps 35,000 people wouldn't have died during the heat wave of 2003.

They do save a lot of lives... my parents were actually worried that not having a/c would place some sort of undue stress on my immune system a couple years ago.

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 12:02:34 pm »
AIR CONDITIONERS ARE GOOD.  If you dont clean them it could be a problem...but home airconditioners are fine.  Its those big industrial size air coolers that use water ....where there is a problem with bacteria...like the famous Legionairres Disease...which happend to affect a large number of people in a hotel for an American Legion convention.  It was an OLD building with an OLD cooling system that used water.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 12:46:45 pm »
Try living in Florida in the summer.Oh,HELL NO...lol...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.