Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:56:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 403
Total: 403

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cd4 plateau?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline markdown

Cd4 plateau?
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »
I have mentioned before in another thread that I am in a Phase III study of the quad pill. I just got back my 4 month results: viral load undetectable (as it has been since the first month) and Cd4 at 375. Between month one and two, my Cd4 went from 214 to 359. Now, two months later, it's only risen 16 points. I'm not sure of the percentage.  Is this a normal reaction : to plateau for awhile? Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the results, I was just hoping that I would get another dramatic increase.

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
Re: Cd4 plateau?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:27:17 am »
Hey Markdown,

Recent research suggests that once you commence treatment your CD4's continue to increase on average for seven years - at varying rates.

Remember that your CD4 count goes up and down all the time, it's higher in the morning that the evening, your count responds to other infections, stress, fatigue, poor nutrition, cigarettes, STI's etc - so it is important to look at your trends over time - and in just 4 months your CD4's have continued to go up and up, and have increased by 43%!!!!!

Sometimes in the first few months of treatment, once your immune system begins to return to normal function it will respond to 'infections' that it has not be 'strong' enough to deal with previously - your results could indicate that your immune system is cranking beautifully.

The important things to focus on are that your meds are working, you are taking great meds, your viral load is undetectable and your CD4's are going up.

Healthy living, stress management, adherence and posiitive thinking will help.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:28:50 am by Tempeboy »
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline markdown

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:45 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement Tempeboy. I feel lucky to have done so well so quickly.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »
once you are under powerfull meds that work for you (which is obviously the case, since you are UDs), viral replication stops or is negligible

After a sharp decrease, there is a second phase of decay where the system needs to purge remaining, already (previous to meds) infected CD4s.

these are killed by inflammation (CD8, mostly), since you when UD fast the most likely reason is that inflammation was high (many CD8 compared to few CD4)

Until they, themselves die (by their natural life span), your CD8s are still around, and they keep killing CD4s.

This remaining inflammation is a limiting factor to the ex pension of CD4s.

CD8s have a longerlife time than CD4. it will take CD8s and therefore inflammation, quite a while to decrease.

Its like running a car with the hand break on. It speeds up , but not as fast as one would hope.

But eventually, that inflammation will wear off as well and then the car will run freely.

Anything that turns on or maintains inflammation at a higher level also reduces your chances for higher CD4s. and these include:
- smoking
- other STDs (so safer sex is still required)

A healthy colon, where inflammation controlling bacteria dwell, would be a plus. A very diversified diet should help

At least, this is the way I look at it... And I hope this helps

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline markdown

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:48 am »
That was  a clear and concise explanation Eric48. I appreciate your time in explaining this to me. Two nights ago I had an extreme case of the night sweats--my bed was soaked. Would the inflammation you mentioned cause this?

Offline Gio

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »
Eric - so how long is the decay

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »
my bed was soaked. Would the inflammation you mentioned cause this?

Hi,

My doc asked me several times if I have had night soaks events (which I have not). I would therefore recommend that you mention it to your doc on your next visit.

The 'inflammation' term, as used in my above post, refers to an activation state of the immune system. The word itself carries a 'heat' symbolism, but,  would not know if what you have experienced is caused by the biological process. I think the medical term comes from common observation that body heats up when its is reacting to a viral infection (such as the flue)

As for the question how long does that decay takes, if you would allow me, I will refrain from giving a definite answer since I am currently researching a lot into this (complex) matter.
The decay (in CD4) is the reason why it takes some time for one to become UD.
in some some people, it only takes a few weeks, in some others it may take longer.
If it takes too long, then it may mean that the meds are not working on your virus (and a switch is required)
That concept of 'it takes too long' is understood differently by the various docs and guidelines.

The decay in CD8, is a related but different concept. in some people (myself) it goes down steadily and I think contributes to me feeling 'healthier' (despite not being UD, yet). In some other people , who are otherwise UD and have a good CD4 recovery , this excess of CD8 may last long, if not for ever, and, could be (merely a hunch of mine more than solid proven fact, at this time) the reason why some HIVers suffer from what they call inflamm-aging

Because decrease of viral replication and recovery in CD4 numbers is so much more vital to your body than this de-inflammation, they have been studied and theorized in depth.

CD4s and CD8s are inter related but have a life (and life cycle) of their own. during the time you let viral replication in you blood, the interaction between CD4 and CD8 is high, then, once the viral replication stops (if you are under successfull medication), they kind of go back to their own business-as-usual life.

Which is why the dynamics of the complete system is so complex and the issue initially posted by markdown is, in my humble opinion, not alarming. Patience (and I would dare add, a as-healthy-as-you-can lifestyle) should help.

Cheers

Eric

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:55:11 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.