Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:35:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the flu  (Read 3016 times)

Offline remo85

the flu
« on: June 12, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »
Hey there guys!
I just got my first flu since being diagnosed back in october 2015. Ive never been the type to worry about flus. I used to have a strong organism i guess and never got sick. But since the diagnosis Ive been told by several doctors that I should rush to the hospital If I ever get one because it might kill me. Im of course..kinda freakin out about the whole deal. I was depressed and anxious this whole weekend ive been sick.. I felt really sick.
Now , my cd4 count came back 650 2 months ago and Ive been taking my meds , and taking care of myself in general.
SHOULD i be THIS worried? I mean I have Just been diagnosed..theres still a lot of road ahead..

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: the flu
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »
given that you are typing a very coherent message on an internet forum, it's probably not really the flu you have ;)

If it is though - With your numbers, you need to do what anyone does when they get the flu. Rest, take lots of fluid and paracetamol (painkillers - in the US they are called something else).

No need to get a swat medical team involved just yet...
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline remo85

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 07:12:50 pm »
yes sounds logical , but it gets kind of confusing when its the doctor filling your head with ideas . :P

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »
We get illnesses and ailments just like anyone does.

There are certain common illnesses that can be nasty for HIV+ folks, but generally these become serious concerns when the immune system is seriously suppressed - ie. the CD4 count is low.

For people who are stable on meds, with an undetectable viral load and a CD4 count in the 'normal' range, there should be no additional concerns with stuff like colds, flu etc. Just treat them as you always would have done.

Now this doesn't mean ignore anything that looks like it is developing serious symptoms - and always seek medical advice if in doubt. That would be the same for everyone though....influenza kills a good number of healthy individuals without any immune system problems, so always be wary you start having problems breathing or things are getting worse after a week.

I was being a bit flippant before about you typing on this forum, but there is an element of truth in it....many people who have had a bad bout of flu are really immobilised with it... one of the common things I've heard people say are things like 'If you told me there was a case with a million pounds at the bottom of my garden and I just have to fetch it, I'd still not be able to get out of bed and do it'... In fact, thinking back I don't think I've ever had anything worse than a relatively mild bout of it myself. I would certainly be hopping down the garden to get that case...

Oh, and as someone living with HIV, you should get the Flu jab each year - but I figure you know that :)

Hope you start to feel better soon.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline remo85

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:50:21 pm »
I think deep inside im still working on getting rid of this idea i had of the disease growing up in the 90s.

thanks a lot btw  :)

Offline gcr.mty.mx

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:05:13 pm »
HI remo, I caught a cold after a weekend of travel (airports, air conditioned planes and hotel rooms). I was about two months into my treatment. Freaked out a little bit on the second day so I went to a general doctor who indicated rest and ibuprofen. Three days later I was back to normal. My hiv Doctor congratulated me on not freaking out too much as we tend to do. He said we will get colds and flu and diarrhea just like before and that's there's no reason to get well if we're taking our meds.

G
01/16 diagnosed
03/16 cd4 750 VL 150,000
03/16 truvada+ritonavir(norvir)+reyataz
06/16 cd4 -- VL UD!
09/16 truvada+ritonavir(norvir)+duranavir(prezista)
03/17 cd4 -- VL UD

Offline remo85

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:04:50 pm »
hey guys one last thing. what about influenza? This same weekend I got sick there have been news all over of an influenza bout around here, and I know hiv+ people should be extra careful..any recommendations?

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:13:25 am »
The recomendation here in Australia for PLWHAs is to get an annual flu shot.
Apart from that,  just wash your hands on a regular basis or use alcohol wipes if sharing keyboards or other equipment.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »
hey guys one last thing. what about influenza? This same weekend I got sick there have been news all over of an influenza bout around here, and I know hiv+ people should be extra careful..any recommendations?

Your original post said you had this already (i'm sure you know that influenza=flu)

Points are same as previously. No need for HIV+ folk on stable meds to be more careful than anyone else, other than getting a flu shot.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline remo85

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:53 pm »
Your original post said you had this already (i'm sure you know that influenza=flu)

Points are same as previously. No need for HIV+ folk on stable meds to be more careful than anyone else, other than getting a flu shot.

Over here they call it influenza or h1n1  im not sure its the same..

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »
there are different flu stains... H1N1 is a specific strain

listen to cavey on this, he's taken point and he's given you good advice

chill out, go hug some snot nosed babies  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.